Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 12:28 AM

4 posts, read 50,402 times

Advertisements

ummm one question is los angeles worst then newyork city and is la heavier on drugs then nyc

Old 08-03-2006, 12:53 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,590,194 times
You've given us natives quite a handful to ponder with this comparison. I haven't been to NYC since the mid-1970's, but anecdotal evidence from friends says that the city has changed for the better insofar as genuine efforts were made to "clean up" many dangerous neighborhoods. I wouldn't have imagined Times Square to have been capable of regaining its family friendly crowded mien of old, but apparently that's the case and quite true. Also, the bravery of the all Manhattan during and post the 9/11 tragedy has engendered so much new respect for New Yorkers from everyone everywhere, that's got to be a real positive .

In contrast, I don't think a soul on the planet would say that Los Angeles has changed for the better. It still retains beaches and balmy nights, but with the exception of the rich, it's a hard place for us. The dangerous neighborhoods have spread everywhere via the logrhythmic growth of the gangs, and the lack of communication between all here, due to lack of English spoken, does not make for united efforts to improve civic problems.

My own anecdotal evidence is that I see a lot of marijuana usage ongoing amongst all sectors of economic classes, be it walking my dogs past households where one can smell it, to people using or discussing it at parties, which doesn't necessarily make for public violence. The heavy coke usage tapered off in the 1980's/90s. I really try to avoid areas with crackheads, since they are unpredictable and violent. People on heroin tend to hole up and not be in public. I have no idea of meth usage here, and would guess it's more prevalent in outlying counties. I'm straight, by the by, just an impartial observer who knows what's what from having been in the entertainment industry.

City-data has crime stats for each city: one should look up their take.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:20 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,776,837 times
There is no "worse". Both cities have areas where crime is a serious problem.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:34 AM

9,520 posts, read 30,346,826 times
East New York, parts of Bed-Stuy, Bushwick and Brownsville make Compton look like a resort community.

It's all bad, just the character of the areas are different. Even in Compton and watts you have a lot of detached homes, whereas in NYC you have projects and busted up tenaments.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:21 PM

346 posts, read 2,135,435 times
Yeah both have REALLY bad areas and REALLY nice areas. I would not want to live/work in either... in fact, you couldn't even force me to choose one! They are both HUGE cities with TONS of people and congestion. New York City is more congested than LA people and traffic wise but it's not a whole lot different in LA. I haven't been to NYC in a few years though.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:24 PM

8 posts, read 123,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
East New York, parts of Bed-Stuy, Bushwick and Brownsville make Compton look like a resort community.

It's all bad, just the character of the areas are different. Even in Compton and watts you have a lot of detached homes, whereas in NYC you have projects and busted up tenaments.
check your stats bro, compton actually has a higher crime and murder rate than all three of those places put together.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:36 AM

57 posts, read 516,891 times
Compton is worse than any place in new york.

I didnt know this, but en.wikipedia says that in 2000 the Compton police department was disbanded, so Compton no longer has a police force. (and it has about 90K people...)

Also, they said it had 72 murders in 2005, which will most likely earn it the title of Murder captail once again in the United states, after all the other cities get their data done too.

Compton is also the gang captial of the country, so walking the streets of Compton will be worse than walking the streets of Camden, detroit, new york, or any of those cities.

I'm sure NY is bad too, but in reality Compton is the worse. I'd rather walk down the street to say a food place in New york than I would in Compton

Last edited by Josh22; 10-28-2006 at 01:51 AM..

Old 10-28-2006, 07:32 PM

38,605 posts, read 22,594,253 times
Thumbs down NYC Drivers

I have relatives in central New Jersey and a few in Queens, NYC. The last time I went back there to visit, I could NOT believe how horribly gridlocked the streets of NYC are. Our traffic here in the L.A. area can get just as bad also, the only difference being that out here, the drivers aren't constantly honking their horns the way they seem to in NYC. You could not pay me enough to drive in NYC! Thankfully, their public transportation system is pretty good.

I honestly can't see how people can live there---but by the same token, they say the same thing about us living here in L.A.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:37 AM

989 posts, read 5,908,355 times
I think Sassberto is pointing that East N.Y. makes Compton only LOOK like a resort. (not in a crime sense) I must say I agree with him. Palm trees, green lawns, parks, single family homes, supermarkets, and stripmalls vs. tall ugly old brick buildings crammed together with no sunlight whatsoever.

Unfortunately from a distance all of L.A. looks better than NYC. No question there. But if you compare the quality of life in the two cities, you will find NYC on top. NYC has 4 X's as many cops as LA, while LA is kills New York in square miles of area.

which is better?

in my opinion..
Safety-NYC
Graffiti-NYC hands down
Traffic-Both are terrible, NYC is better due to public trans. and road tolls
Weather-LA no joke
Geography-LA
Culture-Tie

Overall, who knows?

Old 10-29-2006, 05:48 PM

9,520 posts, read 30,346,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
I think Sassberto is pointing that East N.Y. makes Compton only LOOK like a resort. (not in a crime sense) I must say I agree with him. Palm trees, green lawns, parks, single family homes, supermarkets, and stripmalls vs. tall ugly old brick buildings crammed together with no sunlight whatsoever.
yes I'm just talking superficially here - single family homes with green lawns vs bombed-out shells rowhouses... grafitti on everything, couches on the sidewalk for the homies to hang out, burnt out cars in the street etc. Visually it is very scary in ENY and parts of Bed-Stuy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles