Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 9,072 times

Advertisements

hi all, im moving from eueope to LA for 5 yrs term. We are family of 3 (small child-5 yrs old)). And I don't know anything about living costs in usa. So aprox. how much monay I need to live let say "upper middle class" lifestyle in LA. Don't count rent becouse that is already payes- so basicly just: bills, food, and free time. I know that it depends but just give me some frames- less than 5ooo, 5000, 10 000, 15 000$.
thnx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 03:33 PM

312 posts, read 909,348 times
Where do you live currently if I may ask?
I might be able to compare..

Old 05-09-2010, 09:42 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
City-specific topics belong in the appropriate room for that city, not General U.S. Moving to the L.A. room.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:19 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Depends on the following:

-Auto expenses.
-school expenses.
-daycare expenses.

If you don't have any of the above, and your rent is paid for, $5k take home a month would lend itself to a pretty good lifestyle...better than most live anyway.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:19 AM

well for auto expenses i only need gas cos we have our car and we will ship that car in usa. Well our son is 5 yrs old so- yeah some preschool or sth- well we must see how it works over there cos here is little different. I live in Belgium now- and life expenses are quite high here.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:41 AM

274 posts, read 1,217,725 times
If you don't have to pay for accomodation you are set to have a great time here. There is soooo much to do for kids and a lot of free stuff too.The Americans we have met have been so helpful and friendly in a way people are less so in the UK. Just more open and hospitable 90% of the time in our experience.

Gas is really cheap compared to europe- food we find is 20% more than the UK but eating out is cheaper. I have seen day care from 1050 for a child minder to 2000 for some fancy pre school like Pacific Oaks per month.

Many people here spend a lot on rent so after rent we probably get through about 1600 to 2K a month for everything but we do not live an extravagent life and do lots of the free stuff available in LA.We just run one car and have a baby so no day care expenses! Good Luck with your move.Yiou are going to love the sunshine and the greenery here- it really is heavenly.

ps and NB health care is expensive but i guess your company cover that? This is the thing we dislike here- it is a really bad money based healthcare system that is totally shocking to any European- it cost 4oK for us to have a baby here- luckily we were insured but some poor people are broken by these medical bills. It is the one thing the Americans seem to be really backward on-many I have chatted to seem to think a national health service where all have access to affordable health care would be like handing their health care over to Stalin.It is strange- poor Obama- he has his work cut out.

Last edited by Londonteacher; 05-10-2010 at 03:49 AM..

Old 05-10-2010, 06:47 AM

yeah i know about health- but thank God we don't have to think about that- becouse we are not moving forever- just 5 yrs so we will be insured through european company that my husband works for. So basicly what you are saying is that we can live very comfortable with 5k per month (if rent is covered).

Old 05-10-2010, 07:04 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
If you are importing a car you may run into difficulties. Make sure it is not on the black or grey list. Might be easier and cheaper to buy here.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:13 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia22 View Post
yeah i know about health- but thank God we don't have to think about that- becouse we are not moving forever- just 5 yrs so we will be insured through european company that my husband works for. So basicly what you are saying is that we can live very comfortable with 5k per month (if rent is covered).
Extremely so IMO so long as you don't have private school costs.

5K a month take home is around $80-100K a year pretax. Since housing and car payments are easily most peoples biggest expense(usually 30-50% of their takehome), you would be doing very well.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Since housing is the expense that is disproportionately larger than most places and since the original poster has this paid for, it doesn't make that much difference. Food (groceries) isn't probably that much more, energy may be more but it's likely a person in CA won't need as much of it to heat and cool. Gas is a little more but he may be driving more (since there is more to do and LA is so spread out). Any service expense is probably more because service providers' rent is higher (that's why I'll get a haircut in Reseda before Beverly Hills: the hair cuts are exactly the same but the rent is higher in BH so the cut costs more).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles