Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:07 PM

374 posts, read 693,394 times

Advertisements

If you find a property, look on the map, and if it's anywhere near the beach (like a mile) it will be very expensive unless it's a studio apt. (or a scam of some sort). Generally in L.A. the beach is for the wealthy, teenage couch crashers, or the homeless. Actually, there's a radio show out of Santa Monica's KCRW by Harry Shearer. His tag line is 'From Santa Monica--home of the homeless.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 09:14 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledabout View Post
Are there any local newspaper/ Internet sources for rental searching? Will we be better off driving around neighborhoods when we visit and looking for signs?
HousingMaps

MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps

these are craigslist rentals on a google maps interface.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:18 PM

107 posts, read 197,986 times
Okay, do you guys know anything about the areas where the following are located:

Great City, Schools, End Unit Townhome, lower price (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/1717006090.html - broken link)

Torrance, CA, 90503 - MLS #S10043419 - Rentals real estate - REALTOR.com®

1607 Greenwood, Torrance, CA, 90503 - MLS #S10032132 - Rentals real estate - REALTOR.com®

Old 04-29-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
HousingMaps

MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps

these are craigslist rentals on a google maps interface.
I think I've seen this feature before; it's just tough to know if the area is good from just looking at a map. Thank you for the reminder, though!

Old 04-29-2010, 09:54 PM

374 posts, read 693,394 times
Do you ever use the 'street view' feature on Google Maps? You can click/scroll around the neighborhood to get a feel for immediate area.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:00 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledabout View Post
Well, the listing we were looking at in Playa has been flagged for removal on craigslist, so apparently it was too good to be true. Figures.

I find this process very frustrating. We're considering a rent-to-own situation because after we sell our house in the Midwest (that is IF we ever sell it), we aren't going to make anything on it. That doesn't mean we can't afford a house in the future, but we definitely won't have anything for a decent down payment. Has anyone ever done this successfully?

And again... thoughts on our transracial family and "large" (to some people) family size? Is it laidback enough out there that people won't bat an eye?

Ooh.. one thing that's a fun question and that I keep forgetting to ask. Are farmers' markets there basically year-round?

Thanks again for all of your help! It's fun planning for the future even if it's a little daunting of a task from this far away.
Far as the baby, people are going to think you're another hipster with a "blaahque baby" like Brad and Angelina. The couple is dressing one of their daughters up as Chaz Bono to complete their diversity statement. People won't care. I would not.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:45 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
[mod cut: reference to deleted post]

To the original poster, The area around Agoura is pretty accessible to Venice by taking Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon to the coast and down to Venice. Also Woodland Hills area by taking Topanga Canyon to the coast. Both these areas are probably better suited to large families as they are more suburban.

I am not saying they are better or worse than El Segundo, Torrance, etc. I really don't know those areas that well. I am just providing another option to check.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 05-01-2010 at 09:47 AM..

Old 05-04-2010, 08:35 PM

Well, we will be making a trip sometime by the end of May to see if this is going to work for our family. Hoping to find a place to live in or near Culver City (workplace will be in Venice). I've looked at crime maps and everything, but I am apparently an idiot at overlaying because it hasn't helped me get a good idea of the area. We'll likely ask some of the locals for help if this works out and we indeed decide to move there.

We'll be there for a good five-day visit, so that will hopefully allow for some time to get to know the area just a little bit. Is there anything that we *must* see? I'm sure we'll make other trips here and there with the people hosting us, but is there anything we shouldn't miss, especially if this ends up being our first and last trip to LA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles