Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 11:20 PM

14 posts, read 29,167 times

Advertisements

This is by no means a bash on LA - but I'm wondering if anyone else has felt this way and if so, what you did or where you went. I moved here years ago, and have had a lot of really amazing experiences, met some interesting people and feel like there are many things I'd miss about this city once I left. There's no place quite like this city anywhere - I think maybe LA and me have simply outgrown each other! I don't know why it's bothering me more now than it has for the entire time I've been here, but I just keep feeling this persistent pull toward going to a simpler place, where people are more connected to each other. Maybe it's just my perception? Maybe it's me? I don't know. I keep trying to ignore it, because my life is by no means terrible here in the least, but that feeling won't go away.

I guess part of it is that I feel like I want to be in a place where people don't care or ask what season my shoes are from, who does my hair, what kind of car I drive, who I know or what kind of impressive title I have or had. I feel like there can be such a huge disconnect from each other here, and I don't intend to change anyone, but it kind of bums me out. I still have friends here, but I seriously feel like between the majority of the women I work with (there are many) or new women I meet for the most part (not all) - that there's such a hyper focus on looks, materialism and accolades, to the point of insanity. It's LA- I know...and we have natives, transplants and all styles and types here, and of course I don't mean everyone. There are quite a few cool women/men I've met here that aren't this way, but overall I'm looking into some other places to live. I would still encourage people to move here - this city has a lot to offer (except maybe smooth flowing traffic and currently, high employment!) but I guess it's just that time for me. I don't mean for this to sound like I hate it here, because I don't - I'm just kind of confused about this, and I am being honest because it's a very isolating feeling. This has been my home for a long time. Does this make sense to anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 11:42 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,989,435 times
I have lived in California since 1971, and it use to bother me that every one was so dammed materialistic, and felt they were a step above every one else.
You had to have the right kind of job, the right friends, had to have the latest fashions,and the car had to be a chick magnet, or one didn't fit in.
I grew tired of that crapolla fast, and just decided I would not cave into that craziness.
I live to keep me happy, and no one else.
I am not out to impress any one, and shy away from those who pretend to be something they are not.
I couldn't care less what someone drives.
I drive what makes ME happy, wear the clothes that make ME happy, and associate with people who share my same interest.
Sounds like you need a big dose of reality.
Don't try to climb to the top of that ivory tower, you wouldn't like the view any way.
Bob.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:03 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedana View Post
but I just keep feeling this persistent pull toward going to a simpler place, where people are more connected to each other.
Go for it! I did it for similar reasons, got it out of my system, then came back (to the GLAMA, not the city). I returned with a new appreciation for what the area offers.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:17 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
I want to be in a place where people don't care or ask what season my shoes are from, who does my hair, what kind of car I drive, who I know or what kind of impressive title I have or had.
You get that in other affluent areas too. Your best bet is to laugh that stuff off and leave people like that feeling foolish. It works for me.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:20 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,205,374 times
are you from a small town? it sounds like you are being pulled back to your roots. being from the LA area, i can't imagine living anywhere else. i've traveled quite extensively and i'm sure i could be happy in any number of places, but there's just something about being 'home', no matter where you're from.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:39 AM

34 posts, read 80,363 times
I grew up in LA all my life and understand how you feel! I just got married and am moving to Connecticut and am really excited about it. There's nothing like the feeling of a small town where everyone is friendly and just cares about "you" and how your doing instead of the latest fashions and what you do for a living. That gets old after awhile!

Old 02-05-2012, 01:34 AM

313 posts, read 778,935 times
Move to Salt Lake City or Portland. Its a nice inbetween.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:43 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,389,077 times
It sounds like you are the problem and not L.A. You are like that Princess chick in the movie, "The Devil goes to Prada". She is a simple plain girl in a hyper materialistic world where looks, what you wear, and who you know is what matters. She tries hard not to be changed and it frustrates her. She has that AHa! moment she realizes she already one of those girls, and then changes things around.

I don't think there is a place you can avoid the materialism and sizing up. You can't change those people or avoid them. Focus on those that share your values. I imagine that even in farm country, people want to know how powerful is your truck, what tractor you drive, how many acres you own and know your business, but not in a caring way. OK I made that up. But yes, I think if you need to go to a simpler place and change things up, do it! L.A. will always be here, but with more transportation options.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:45 AM

313 posts, read 778,935 times
LA is really just like ecery American city. Just more if it. Only NYC and SF are really unique.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:36 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,234,493 times
It's L.A.. You don't come here expecting it to be a meek lot.. People who come to L.A expect what they want..

If New yorkers don't care about what car you drive, where you get your hair done or where you live.. Then what do they talk about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles