Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 08:14 PM

5 posts, read 20,197 times

Advertisements

I'll be interning in Marina del Rey for the summer, and am planning to live in Mar Vista (near Venice and Centinela). I won't have a car, so I'll be walking or bussing or biking it to MDR. My main concern is safety: I was under the impression that Mar Vista and MDR are both very safe, but I saw some crime statistics and heard people say that that area of Mar Vista can be sketchy. Anyone know what it's like? Is it safe enough to, say, walk around at 9 pm? I've lived in Chicago and Boston, and am familiar with NYC, so any comparisons with neighborhoods in these cities, in terms of safety, would really help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 08:58 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
that area of mar vista should be fine. there are some immigrant families living in the area, but you'll be far enough away from the projects that safety shouldn't be an issue. you'll also be close to a weekly farmers market at the mitsuya store to pick your favorite japanese items. i can't compare this neighborhood to nyc and chicago because it's completely different, but i wouldn't be worried about walking around after dark.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:26 PM

5 posts, read 20,197 times
Thanks! What about the walk from MDR (Lincoln and Mindanao)? GMaps gives me this route: 4676 Admiralty Way, Marina del Rey, CA 90292 to Venice Blvd & S Centinela Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90066 - Google Maps . Does it pass by the projects, or places to avoid? Sorry... I just don't know anything about LA, so I'm a bit nervous. Thanks again.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:12 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
that's a long walk and although i think you'd be safe, you never know this is a big city. you'd be better riding a bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles