Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:59 PM

4 posts, read 30,482 times

Advertisements

Hi.. I work for a freight forwarding company and they have decided to close down 7 stations.. with Vancouver being one of them. They are re-locating me to their head office in Los Angeles. I was raised in Vancouver.. and barely ever traveled. In January of this year, I was in LA for my 2 weeks training. The food sucks, but I felt the place was very dynamic and fast paced! If you've been to Vancouver.. its the most boring.. slow paced city ever. Yeah sure theres skiing, nature parks, hiking, no traffic, quiet, clean, etc. Its a nice place to live in if you're retired. But for a young man like me, I'd like to get my career going. The opportunity in Vancouver is extremely small.. so I decided to take this offer and re-locate to LA. I've been living with my parents all my life.. I will be moving out to a city I am totally un-familiar with.. and begin my new journey. The office is in City of Industry area.. my co-worker there has a friend that can rent me a room in his apartment 20 mins away from work. I am very excited about this opportunity, but honestly, I've heard more bad things than good things about living in L.A., for example, the police don't like Canadians O_O
Can you tell me what I can be expecting and any tips on places I should avoid.. would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 09:49 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,481 times
One of my best friends moved from B.C. and now lives here. He is going to law school and resides in Upland(near Ontario) and has lived near me in the valley(San Fernando), as well as Lahmabra. He loves it. He is into the Cali style and lowriders and all that though. And he is Muslim...no problems.
If the police don't mess with a Muslim Canadian, then I doubt they would mess with you....even if you were Muslim. You'll be fine.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:28 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Default LA can take a while, but give it a chance...

As a foreigner whose first experience with Southern CA was Los Angeles, I can tell you that the place can take a while to get used to. Beautiful Vancouver, BC is very different than LA, but if you give the city a chance, you might grow to appreciate it. At least you're arriving with good English skills. That's more than I had in the beginning. LA has people from all over the world and the energy can seem overwhelming at first. Knowing this going in might help you deal with the first few weeks.

I would implore you to venture out and explore a little. Take the train to San Diego or Santa Barbara for a weekend. Get to know the broader region. Vancouver is close to nature. Southern CA is too. Though different in geography, climate, etc., So CA's nature has its own beauty, nevertheless. Consider this: whatever your interests, you'll likely to find a social network somewhere in the region.

And if all else fails, with a direct-flight ticket you're never more than a few hours away from Vancouver. No big deal.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:49 PM

59 posts, read 606,697 times
Default Stay in the Northwest!

I would advise you to stay in the Northwest if you can. Although, you may need to move down here to experience it for yourself rather than taking others advice. You will eventually move back! It is beautiful up there! No smog, less traffic, affordable housing, higher quality of life, less people, lower crime. The list can go on and on............! I know I'm not alone with my opinions. Best of luck to you!

Old 06-28-2007, 02:18 AM

Thank you for all the advise!!!!!
I'm excited to move there!!

Old 06-30-2007, 09:58 PM

40 posts, read 147,847 times
Default Moving From Vancouver to L.A.

Sounds like you have the right attitude and personality to do just fine in Los Angeles. Please let us know when you arrive. Also, let me know what kinds of things you like to do. I work in the entertainment industry and can let you know about various events going on etc.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:59 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,638,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubo View Post
Hi.. I work for a freight forwarding company and they have decided to close down 7 stations.. with Vancouver being one of them. They are re-locating me to their head office in Los Angeles. I was raised in Vancouver.. and barely ever traveled. In January of this year, I was in LA for my 2 weeks training. The food sucks, but I felt the place was very dynamic and fast paced! If you've been to Vancouver.. its the most boring.. slow paced city ever. Yeah sure theres skiing, nature parks, hiking, no traffic, quiet, clean, etc. Its a nice place to live in if you're retired. But for a young man like me, I'd like to get my career going. The opportunity in Vancouver is extremely small.. so I decided to take this offer and re-locate to LA. I've been living with my parents all my life.. I will be moving out to a city I am totally un-familiar with.. and begin my new journey. The office is in City of Industry area.. my co-worker there has a friend that can rent me a room in his apartment 20 mins away from work. I am very excited about this opportunity, but honestly, I've heard more bad things than good things about living in L.A., for example, the police don't like Canadians O_O
Can you tell me what I can be expecting and any tips on places I should avoid.. would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
i have to ask: where did you eat? LA has some of the best restaurants in the country. vancouver has salmon...and salmon. oh, and i almost forgot salmon.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:13 PM

186 posts, read 835,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubo View Post

Thanks in advance.

LA cuisine in superior to Vancouver's. I have eaten in NYC, chicago, SF, France, and Tokyo, and Vancouver, and LA is superior to Vancouver.

Vancouver is quite good, but places like Providence, Lucques, grace, hatfields, water grill, patina, melisse, ortolan, and on and on are just a class above Vancouver.

In Vancouver, its easy to find B- cuisine, and in LA, C- cuisine is more prevelant, but LA is a HUGE region and has A quality restaurants everywhere. despite my best efforts I couldnt find a single restaurant in Vancouver that would receive a single michelin guide star rating.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:49 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,824 times
All I have to add is that you can find literally every kind of food in L.A. I just moved back after a 4 year hiatus and the food was at the top of my list...and I've traveled a LOT.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:44 AM

I must've been eating at the wrong places ><
Oh well, I'm moving there around Aug 1st. Very excited!!!
Can't wait to see what I've been missing out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles