Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 07:26 AM

3 posts, read 5,028 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I live in Edinburgh, Scotland, with my husband, 14 year old daughter and 8 month old puppy. I am a self-employed fitness instructor and personal trainer and my husband is a self-employed telecommunications officer. My daughter has wanted to move to L.A for quite some time and my husband and I are now starting to look into moving, but the problem is we have no idea how ! We briefly know about visas but are looking for a permanent option ??? We are both up for gaining more qualifications if needed but don't know where to look or what we would need to do!
We are willing to spend ruffly £1million ($2million i think ???) so financially it isn't a problem, but I have heard moving there is really hard to do ?! Unfortunatley we don't have any family out there but have some really close friends, does that help at all ????
Any information back would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Jaime x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 11:32 PM

44 posts, read 112,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimex View Post
Hi Guys,

I live in Edinburgh, Scotland, with my husband, 14 year old daughter and 8 month old puppy. I am a self-employed fitness instructor and personal trainer and my husband is a self-employed telecommunications officer. My daughter has wanted to move to L.A for quite some time and my husband and I are now starting to look into moving, but the problem is we have no idea how ! We briefly know about visas but are looking for a permanent option ??? We are both up for gaining more qualifications if needed but don't know where to look or what we would need to do!
We are willing to spend ruffly £1million ($2million i think ???) so financially it isn't a problem, but I have heard moving there is really hard to do ?! Unfortunatley we don't have any family out there but have some really close friends, does that help at all ????

Thanks, Jaime x
stay in Edinburgh , it's a beautiful city

have you been to LA before?

wait how does a personal trainer and a telecommunications officer have 2 million quid?

Old 04-18-2010, 03:24 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimex View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks, Jaime x
On the whole people generally move to LA to make money not to spend it.
Why the hell would you move to LA because your daughter wants to no doubt nine months ago she wanted a puppy too.
First have you ever been to LA,if not a holiday will at least give you an idea of what you will be letting yourself in for.
One and a half million dollars may sound a lot but to get the sort of lifestyle I'm sure you must be hoping for you will need two full time jobs to back that up.
Please come and have a look first and good luck you will find plenty of very good info on this site.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:56 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
A holiday is a good idea. Better yet, two holidays - one of them in late August/early September. Let your daughter explore the things that fascinate her.

Investigate the schools. Would California be a better place for her to finish her education?

Get an idea of what you want.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:48 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
Lots of Scottish people make it in LA, just look at Gerard Butler, Craig Ferguson and Fat Bastard

Old 04-29-2010, 08:43 AM

Thanks to everyone for their help with this !!
My family and I have just came back from a 4 month vacation their as I wrote my last post while out there! We have applied for a green card and have successfully been accepted so will be moving out there sometime in July Could anyone recommend any good family neighbourhoods ? Feedback will be much appreciated !
Thanks again for everyones help on the matter
Jaime x

Old 04-29-2010, 01:11 PM

30 posts, read 65,618 times
Hi Jaime,

I used to live in Edinburgh as a student near the University and am now residing in Los Angeles. Because LA public systems aren't very reputable, I considerably suggest you move into an area around Beverly Hills, where you can get a decent condo or small house. The reason for BH is that it's a relatively safe neighborhood and Beverly Hills High School is one of the best you can find.

Additionally, areas outside of the main LA section are quite nice. Look at South Pasadena or Pasadena for ideal family locations. It's roughly twenty minutes out of the main city.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:13 AM

Thanks alot Jessica
I wil definitley be looking into that and will let you know how I get on !
x

Old 05-07-2010, 03:07 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,213 times
That may be the fastest "Green Card" in history.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:09 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
that's what I was wondering myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles