Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 04:10 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times

Advertisements

Kind of going off on a tangent here but I don't want to create a new thread for this. What is the typical driver like in LA? I realize there is a lot of traffic, but I'm talking about when you can drive freely without having to stop, is the typical drive fairly civilized, crazy, stupid typically fast? I'm quite used to driving in the large cities of the US, so I can make references to Miami, Atlanta, Chicago and even the smaller ones.

Also, is insurance typically on the high end or low end compared to other places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 05:25 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf34 View Post
How you drive on a LA freeway and not tailgate is beyond me (3 second rule..where?)

Anyways, the fine is high. Any advice on how to beat it or have them reduce the fine?

Thanks!
Were you tailgating? If so, why do you think anyone would give you an idea on how to fight it or how to get it reduced?

Nita

Old 05-07-2010, 05:51 PM

142 posts, read 442,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Kind of going off on a tangent here but I don't want to create a new thread for this. What is the typical driver like in LA? I realize there is a lot of traffic, but I'm talking about when you can drive freely without having to stop, is the typical drive fairly civilized, crazy, stupid typically fast? I'm quite used to driving in the large cities of the US, so I can make references to Miami, Atlanta, Chicago and even the smaller ones.

Also, is insurance typically on the high end or low end compared to other places?
In my experience, LA drivers are pretty reasonable...esp. when compared to east coast cities like NYC or Boston. Don't get me wrong, it is still driving in the big city.

Not sure about insurance costs compared to other big cities.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:01 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I don't think any reasonable person would disagree with you. However I don't think the OP is a victim of this situation.

I try to leave at least a couple of car lengths. There have been times where that buffer has really saved my bacon.

I've never tailgated, but always get tailgated; and I drive slightly above the speed limit too.

In these situations I'll maintain my speed or switch lanes. (I used to brake check, but the point is to AVOID a collision, right?)

In any case, to the OP, it is quite possible to NOT tailgate in L.A. And you shouldn't. It's amazing people who are inches away from another's bumper; who have amazing skills or faith that they can react in any situation.

I'm personally glad that this law exists. The intention of the government in this case isn't big brother saving me from myself, it's saving me from others.
Neither of us were there so we have no idea how close the OP really was to the car in front of them, if they were speeding, changing lanes and tailgating several drivers, flashing high beams, etc. My point was that given the traffic congestion in LA, its virtually impossible to obey the 3 second rule. Is a 2.5 second gap tailgating? How about 2 seconds? If 3 seconds is the standard this cop used, then everyone is liable for a ticket like this.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDay70 View Post
In my experience, LA drivers are pretty reasonable...esp. when compared to east coast cities like NYC or Boston. Don't get me wrong, it is still driving in the big city.

Not sure about insurance costs compared to other big cities.
I would say, while we were there we found the drivers to be reasonable and polite compared to some areas we have driven in.

Nita

Old 05-07-2010, 07:19 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
I think the rule of thumb was always 1 car length for each 10mph you're driving. So, 7 car lengths at 70 mph. Not enough time to go 70-0mph if they guy in front slams on the breaks. But far enough to actually see beyond the car directly in front of you.

I too completely lack sympathy for the OP. I've never heard of someone being nailed for tailgating so it must have been excessively reckless. On average, I'd say I see 3-5 near misses caused by tailgating every day on my commute.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:38 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,417,835 times
Don't tailgate. Problem solved.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:13 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland Uptown View Post
I just got a $446 dollar from a traffic camera while making a right turn on red. Apparently I did not come to a complete stop even though I slowed to about 1MPH before turning @ 6 AM with nobody around. This is the biggest scam going, why would the fine be the same as going full speed through a red?
doing a "california stop" or what the police call a "rolling stop" isn't a stop. YOU have to come to a complete stop (the car is nOT in motion at all).

You were in violation, you deserved the ticket.

I paid my red light ticket fine because I KNOW i ran the red light (my fault, be because I was looking down at my passenger seat and didn't realize the light had changed)

Old 05-08-2010, 12:54 AM

245 posts, read 712,225 times
I wonder how the traffic cameras are able to tell a difference between whether we made a complete stop or a "california roll" before making that right turn I'm sure they worked out a way, but I'm just curious on how they do it. Motion detectors maybe?

Old 05-09-2010, 03:04 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
there are sensors built into the road. YEs it can tell when an object has come to a complete stop. It sense the amount of metal and how that object passes over the sensors. A car coming to a complete stop will cover the entire surface of the sensor. if the sensor "senses" that the object passed over quickly on a red light, it will activate the sensor for the camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles