Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:23 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
I think the rule of thumb was always 1 car length for each 10mph you're driving. So, 7 car lengths at 70 mph. Not enough time to go 70-0mph if they guy in front slams on the breaks. But far enough to actually see beyond the car directly in front of you.

I too completely lack sympathy for the OP. I've never heard of someone being nailed for tailgating so it must have been excessively reckless. On average, I'd say I see 3-5 near misses caused by tailgating every day on my commute.
Oh man...... I thought it was 1 inch per 10mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 03:10 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The 3 second rule at freeway speed is a lot more than 3-5 car lengths. Its actually 288' at 65mph which is 19 car lengths based on a typical 15' car. Should you actually attempt to leave 3 seconds between you and the car in front of you, several cars would instantly fill the gap. If you attempted to slow down enough to recreate that 3 second gap, you'd wind up going so slow that you'd get a ticket for obstructing the flow of traffic. Welcome to the broke state.
I you do this you will be traveling backwards!

Old 05-10-2010, 11:08 AM

33 posts, read 139,633 times
My question got a lot of responses but no answers. Nobody's ever fought a ticket? Really?

As for the 'don't tailgate crowd" opinions are like rears, everybody's got one and I don't need to hear about it.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:12 AM

282 posts, read 382,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
doing a "california stop" or what the police call a "rolling stop" isn't a stop. YOU have to come to a complete stop (the car is nOT in motion at all).

You were in violation, you deserved the ticket.

I paid my red light ticket fine because I KNOW i ran the red light (my fault, be because I was looking down at my passenger seat and didn't realize the light had changed)
Running a red light through an intersection and slowing down and not coming to complete stop are not the same thing. In fact the fact that my ticket is $446 is complete BS. That's the same as running through an intersection and possibly causing a major accident. You can play the PC role all you want but that ticket should NOT cost the same as running a red light in an intersection.

You can't stop and go through a solid red light at an intersection but you can Stop and turn right, therefore the tickets should not be the same.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:15 AM

282 posts, read 382,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyThe2nd View Post
I wonder how the traffic cameras are able to tell a difference between whether we made a complete stop or a "california roll" before making that right turn I'm sure they worked out a way, but I'm just curious on how they do it. Motion detectors maybe?
They use Video camera's now.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:25 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
someone got their feelings hurt

how do you think you can fight it? its your word against theirs. the only thing you might want to do is request the officers dash video (if they have it) and see if the video shows any images of you driving a SAFE distance behind the other car. i dont know how you can really prove you werent illegally close to the other car.

cest la vie, you live you learn.

FYI, this is a public forum FULL of opinions AND questions. get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf34 View Post
My question got a lot of responses but no answers. Nobody's ever fought a ticket? Really?

As for the 'don't tailgate crowd" opinions are like rears, everybody's got one and I don't need to hear about it.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:25 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
If you wanna fight the ticket, just fight it and pray they don't show up, then you win ! Get an attorney, traffic attorneys are cheap

Old 05-10-2010, 04:36 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
No one responding seems to be answering the OP's actual question, so I will.

You have to fight the ticket in court. Plea 'not guilty' and take it to trial. On the day of your trial, the prosecutor will meet with you before the go in front of the magistrate. Talk BS, be confident (they will intimidate you) and then, if you'd like, accept a plea bargain.

Here's my story:

I received a balogna speeding ticket coming down a large hill once. Technically, I was going 65 in a 35, but it was 1am, no one was around, and this is a monsterous hill. 35 is far too low for this area.

I plead 'not guilty', send the prosecutor's office a list of discovery (11 items) having to do with the calibration of the equipment used, requesting the officer's valid and up-to-date paperwork confirming that he was trained in using the equipment, and a whole mess of other things.

The prosecutor failed to send any of the items of discovery to me. On my court date, we met in his office (the officer showed up), they all tried to intimidate me, I wore a suit, acted confident, and told him the magistrate would likely just throw out the case because of his failure to disclose the discovery items. He laughed and tried to convince me that the magistrate MIGHT also just continue the case without it anyway. I admitted that was possible.

We agreed to save eachother both the time and hassle and to work out in agreement.

- From 65 in a 35, he downgraded it to 40 in a 35.
- He requested 1 point on my license instead of 2
- He requested the time on my license from 3 years to 1 year (Ohio law)
- He requested a $20 dollar fine + $80 court costs instead of the previous $250

The magistrate agreed to the plea bargain and I was on my way. My insurance never even found out about the ticket!

IF YOU HAVE THE TIME, ALWAYS FIGHT THESE TICKETS! It doesn't matter if you were right or wrong or maybe you were a little wrong, or a lot wrong, FIGHT THE TICKET.

I absolutely guaranteee you will improve your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
someone got their feelings hurt

how do you think you can fight it? its your word against theirs. the only thing you might want to do is request the officers dash video (if they have it) and see if the video shows any images of you driving a SAFE distance behind the other car. i dont know how you can really prove you werent illegally close to the other car.

cest la vie, you live you learn.

FYI, this is a public forum FULL of opinions AND questions. get used to it.
Clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about,and I have to wonder why if you've never fought a ticket, why you're even responding? In-dash cams? Really? No, that's not how you fight tickets.

Let's try to give OP's real answers to their questions - it'd make CD a much better place.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:29 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
Yes, let's make City Data a better place where we give people a pass for breaking traffic laws, and then teach them how to beat the judicial system for it!

Old 05-10-2010, 06:09 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
when a cop pursues someone, the cameras starts rolling. sort of like in a DUI or chase. everything gets recorded. IF there is a dash cam you would have to subpoena that. it is your right to request the video to see if that shows anything to your benefit. any little thing that can very well help you.
a friend of mine is fighting a ticket. they say he was being combative and non cooperative. the video shows otherwise. he has a lawyer.

and ya, ive never fought a ticket. the time i was in traffic court i knew i was in the wrong. i wasnt going to waste my time. or the courts.

i did the honorable thing and like a man accepted that i was at fault.

thats what people should do.
ESPECIALLY if they know they are wrong (a little or a lot).

oh and praytell how the OP fights this ticket by proving he wasnt tailgating? i guess he now knows how to fight a downhill speeding ticket. but what about the situation this guy is in.

wheres the useful info?
anyone whos been to court can tell him about the intimidation factor. the guilty, not guilty, no contest. the added fines. but what do you suggest he do to fight this tailgating ticket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post

Clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about,and I have to wonder why if you've never fought a ticket, why you're even responding? In-dash cams? Really? No, that's not how you fight tickets.

Let's try to give OP's real answers to their questions - it'd make CD a much better place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles