Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 11:50 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

Everyone can "FIT" in here....it's all up to the person. Actually, too many "FIT" in here...wish more would go back to where they "love". I know some who have left and they do have regrets...can't keep moving back and forth...

Remember...wherever you go, there you are....

I would have never known how much of a FREE THINKER I was had I not driven across 66 in the 60's....as some friends I met in my many years....California is a State of Mind. One can even explore Black's Beach, Bates Beach, Elysium and no judgements...

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-20-2016 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 11:55 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Near San Dimas. Thank you for understanding. <3 People here think I'm crazy. Especially people who were born here. Well, duh!

For "vibe" I find Pasadena remarkably east coast-ish, but with that SoCal kick still in there, which is a marvelous mix, BUT Pasadena homes are prohibitively expensive and unfortunately are LAUSD and the schools just can't stack up to what we have here. My children have special needs so that's another consideration that's keeping us anchored here.
Pasadena is it's own separate city, apart from LA. They have their own police force, fire dept, and school system.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I was born and raised in the Northeast, but I never much cared for the brash, surly attitudes; parochial, conformist mindset; short temperaments; aggressive driving habits; judgmental stares and glares; wearing a winter coat from October to May; blizzards; black ice; mosquitoes; seasonal allergies; corruption and cronyism in state and local politics; crude, sarcastic sense of humor (often at the expense of minority groups); general orneriness of the working-class communities and aloofness of the rural areas; etc.

I could go on and on.

To say that I was a fish out of water on the East Coast, despite having grown up there, is a complete understatement.

The best decision I ever made was move to California. I love it here, and felt as if I assimilated overnight. I think that I was one of those souls who was just born in the wrong place - I have a lot more in common with people here than most other places in the US, especially the East Coast.

Needless to say, I've never been homesick for the East Coast, and I have zero desire to ever move back. Ditto a few other friends and acquaintances of mine out here in CA who grew up on the East Coast.

It seems like there were more ex-Nor'easters in Florida who seemed to be "looking back" than in California. YMMV.

But in the little corner of the Northeast where I grew up, if you mentioned to a local that you had just moved there from California or moved back, they would call you crazy.
Bert, we must be twin brothers born to different mothers...LOL.

I feel exactly the same way, and a trip back to NY in 2014 confirmed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I've only heard it about LA. Never had a problem anywhere else.
Ridiculous comment. People move to a new place all the time and feel like it isn't home, or it takes a few years for it feel like home.

I moved to Portland, OR and was there a little over 2 years before moving back to LA. I felt like I was visiting Portland the whole time, this feeling can happen wherever you go.

In fact I know people who left LA for Dallas and came back, same thing, Dallas never felt like home.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:56 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I've only heard it about LA
Confirmation bias.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:55 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Pasadena is it's own separate city, apart from LA. They have their own police force, fire dept, and school system.
For someone from back east, Pasadena is "L.A." They don't really care if the city has its own fire department. (And what city doesn't have its own school district?)

Old 02-21-2016, 08:28 AM

160 posts, read 148,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
For someone from back east, Pasadena is "L.A." They don't really care if the city has its own fire department. (And what city doesn't have its own school district?)
Sierra Madre.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:51 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Can't imagine leaving the northeast (currently in NYC) and wanting to go back! But I guess it all depends on how you feel about it in the first place. I hate it here so....
I love NYC, but I also enjoy life in LA as well. Our ideal retirement will involve splitting time between the two.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:19 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I love NYC, but I also enjoy life in LA as well. Our ideal retirement will involve splitting time between the two.
Not me...born and raised in NYC and cannot wait to get out. Circumstances have held me here but hopefully not for too much longer.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:03 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I was born and raised in the Northeast, but I never much cared for the brash, surly attitudes; parochial, conformist mindset; short temperaments; aggressive driving habits; judgmental stares and glares; wearing a winter coat from October to May; blizzards; black ice; mosquitoes; seasonal allergies; corruption and cronyism in state and local politics; crude, sarcastic sense of humor (often at the expense of minority groups); general orneriness of the working-class communities and aloofness of the rural areas; etc.

I could go on and on.

To say that I was a fish out of water on the East Coast, despite having grown up there, is a complete understatement.

The best decision I ever made was move to California. I love it here, and felt as if I assimilated overnight. I think that I was one of those souls who was just born in the wrong place - I have a lot more in common with people here than most other places in the US, especially the East Coast.

Needless to say, I've never been homesick for the East Coast, and I have zero desire to ever move back. Ditto a few other friends and acquaintances of mine out here in CA who grew up on the East Coast.

It seems like there were more ex-Nor'easters in Florida who seemed to be "looking back" than in California. YMMV.

But in the little corner of the Northeast where I grew up, if you mentioned to a local that you had just moved there from California or moved back, they would call you crazy.
Quote:
Can't imagine leaving the northeast (currently in NYC) and wanting to go back! But I guess it all depends on how you feel about it in the first place. I hate it here so....
Quote:
Not me...born and raised in NYC and cannot wait to get out. Circumstances have held me here but hopefully not for too much longer.
It's like you read my mind!!!

Have spent four summers in LA and it got harder to return to NYC each time. Missed last summer and it was like being a prisoner.

Hopefully, this summer will make the permanent move and never look back.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:59 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
It's like you read my mind!!!

Have spent four summers in LA and it got harder to return to NYC each time. Missed last summer and it was like being a prisoner.

Hopefully, this summer will make the permanent move and never look back.
I know I have read your posts on this topic before too, we see eye to eye on it for sure. LOL at prisoner, I know the feeling. Are you relocating with your job or are you retired? It's so hard to make a move and find a new job, etc.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles