Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 03:44 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,842,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelander View Post
I'm gonna post my question again since I think OP may have missed it a few pages back:

JerZ, You may have mentioned this somewhere in the past 10 pages, but did you ever get assimilated to CA? The internet is pretty crazy in that you can look back on a thread from 9 years ago and see what your thoughts were back then! If you are assimilated by now, how long did it end up taking you? Do you still have a desire to move back east?
I think I had answered somebody else just before you posted this...too lazy to look back...but basically, it still doesn't exactly feel like "home" to me but I'm happier here than I was before.

I can see the positives of living here but then again, I always could see the positives. It was never really anything negative about the area per se that was the problem, it was that it didn't and doesn't feel like "home" to me. Every place has its negatives; that doesn't mean the place itself is bad, just that it's normal, LOL, and it either strikes a given person as home, or doesn't. I don't think it's just an inability on my part to "grow where I'm planted" or anything as in the past, for example, I moved from NNJ to NEPA, the environment was very, VERY different, people were different, etc. but after a year I felt at home there. Thought I guess that could just be an "eastern" thing in general.

I have found little pockets here, pieces of neighborhoods, that felt homey to me but we're in no position to move, especially laterally money-wise as of course, during a move you lose money and because our home needs some work (about $25K worth) in order to be up to selling snuff as it is. And God knows we sure aren't finding the interest rate we have right now by buying again!

ETA: as far as moving back east, I'm just not sure. One thing I really do love about the west coast, as far as I've seen, is the friendliness of the people and a more relaxed attitude overall. I WOULD miss that and I might crumble under the more, well, brash northeastern personality overall. Sorry to northeasterners but having been born and raised there and lived 38 years of my life there, yes, people are meaner there. Not "more real," not "less B.S.!" but...just meaner. Period. Some people like that. I actually never did. So if I were to move again it probably wouldn't be to the northeast.

I get that there's no "perfect" place but where I am now definitely isn't close for me and I don't intend to die here, let's put it that way...but in and of itself it's not a bad place per se, it's pretty, schools are very good, people are friendly, no snow, local to mountains (hour's drive to Baldy, 1.75 hours to Big Bear), etc., etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 06:23 PM

26,580 posts, read 26,455,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Regardless of the specific school district, most people I know who live in Pasadena say the schools are a horror...
You're right; PUSD has very low state rankings. (My post was directed toward the person who thought Pasadena was a separate part of L.A. about which a non-native southern Californian would make a major distinction.)

Old 02-22-2016, 07:13 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,842,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You're right; PUSD has very low state rankings. (My post was directed toward the person who thought Pasadena was a separate part of L.A. about which a non-native southern Californian would make a major distinction.)
Right, I never know where the "cutoff" of "L.A. proper" actually is.

It just seems to sprawl!

Old 02-23-2016, 02:05 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,466,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I think I had answered somebody else just before you posted this...too lazy to look back...but basically, it still doesn't exactly feel like "home" to me but I'm happier here than I was before.

I can see the positives of living here but then again, I always could see the positives. It was never really anything negative about the area per se that was the problem, it was that it didn't and doesn't feel like "home" to me. Every place has its negatives; that doesn't mean the place itself is bad, just that it's normal, LOL, and it either strikes a given person as home, or doesn't. I don't think it's just an inability on my part to "grow where I'm planted" or anything as in the past, for example, I moved from NNJ to NEPA, the environment was very, VERY different, people were different, etc. but after a year I felt at home there. Thought I guess that could just be an "eastern" thing in general.

I have found little pockets here, pieces of neighborhoods, that felt homey to me but we're in no position to move, especially laterally money-wise as of course, during a move you lose money and because our home needs some work (about $25K worth) in order to be up to selling snuff as it is. And God knows we sure aren't finding the interest rate we have right now by buying again!

ETA: as far as moving back east, I'm just not sure. One thing I really do love about the west coast, as far as I've seen, is the friendliness of the people and a more relaxed attitude overall. I WOULD miss that and I might crumble under the more, well, brash northeastern personality overall. Sorry to northeasterners but having been born and raised there and lived 38 years of my life there, yes, people are meaner there. Not "more real," not "less B.S.!" but...just meaner. Period. Some people like that. I actually never did. So if I were to move again it probably wouldn't be to the northeast.

I get that there's no "perfect" place but where I am now definitely isn't close for me and I don't intend to die here, let's put it that way...but in and of itself it's not a bad place per se, it's pretty, schools are very good, people are friendly, no snow, local to mountains (hour's drive to Baldy, 1.75 hours to Big Bear), etc., etc.
For sure! I hate when they say they are being "real" no you're being "rude" and most of the time, for no good reason!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles