Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:55 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibound-Yorkiemom View Post
It sure is! I love it Children are so precious! How old? I live in Center City. What part of Jersey?
Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't see you'd responded. I'm from Bergen County. I used to venture into Manhattan (99.9% of the time somewhere in Midtown) for stuff for my company about once a month. Around the holidays it was more often.

I have three sons. One is 21! The middle one is 4, and the littlest is 16 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 04:30 AM

9 posts, read 9,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Thanks, ((UB50)). That helps tremendously.

To update (especially for some of the newbies here posting out of the blue with the typical "waa" stuff ): I originally started this thread in June. At that time, I didn't think I was going to be able to go back to the east coast this year at all. But my husband got a raise this summer and he told me, "Buy a ticket!" It's funny that this thread got bumped up now...only a couple of days before I actually am flying back east. We have tons of stuff planned. My brother is coming out, I'll be staying with my sister, and will be with my oldest son (and the baby, who is flying out with me); I'll be meeting my oldest son's girlfriend's parents; meeting with my cousins...doing autumn-type things, like pumpkin picking, and I can't wait.

I actually am starting to feel somewhat like this is home. Not my original home, but I'm starting to identify with it a little. I don't see myself in LA permanently...but then again, neither does my husband, and he was born here and lived here for 31 years. We both just want something a little different in the future. He wants the west; I want seasons. We're playing around with the idea of Washington or Oregon, for the far future. We'll see what happens.

I will always be *from* the east coast, though. If I could 100% have my way, I'm sure that's where we'd be. But I'm not the only person to consider in this...this is home to my husband, the west, and it's as unfair of me to want him completely away from it as it is for me to be expected to stay completely away from what I'm familiar with. And my two younger sons are growing up here and are imprinting on and identifying with this place and this culture. So we'll probably eventually compromise. I still miss the east badly, but since June, it's become less harsh.

I don't actually think I'll every feel L.A. is "home". That's not whimpering...ahhhhhhh, don'tcha' just love it when newbies burst on the scene, knowing nothing about one's history or one's former post and start spouting off....LOL. That's okay...it takes all kinds...
sorry i was only playing. have fun on your trip

Old 11-04-2007, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,726 times
Smile homesick too...

I know this is a older post but I just wanted to agree with you....sometimes I have the same feeling, that I am close to tears missing home. (Im from Cape Cod--MA, one of the prettiest natural places...moved here for grad school with my Boyfriend of 6 years)
I've really only made friends here with people who are also from back east...having the hardest time fitting in with people, it just seems like i talk too much, or too fast, I don't wash my car enough, like public transportation and dunkin donuts....basically I can't let it go. Its been over a year, I want to go back every day. So if it takes 10 years to assimilate i don't know what to do.
Not to say i sit around and cry all the time, I try to make my own experiences, but I have never felt homesickness like this.
I wish we could start a support group!

Old 11-04-2007, 04:57 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
I think there actually is a support group like that. I think I saw it on meetup.com. It was essentially an ex-NewYorker's group and was started due to people experiencing some of the same issues. They were people from the New York area meeting in L.A. but they should start one for the Valley, Pasadena areas, etc. I don't know if it was mostly single people but someone could start one for all types of people. I will check and see if meetup still has it listed and post back here.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:04 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
I moved to SoCal from Long Island almost 12 years ago. I still miss NY but not enough to move back there. I spend a week a year there and by the end of the week I'm dying to go back to California.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:52 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't see you'd responded. I'm from Bergen County. I used to venture into Manhattan (99.9% of the time somewhere in Midtown) for stuff for my company about once a month. Around the holidays it was more often.

I have three sons. One is 21! The middle one is 4, and the littlest is 16 months.
I was so happy for you JerZ that you got to go back home for a visit. At first I thought you were moving back home because of hubbies raise, then realized it was for a visit. How was it? I hope you got to do everything you wanted to do.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:13 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsalty View Post
I know this is a older post but I just wanted to agree with you....sometimes I have the same feeling, that I am close to tears missing home. (Im from Cape Cod--MA, one of the prettiest natural places...moved here for grad school with my Boyfriend of 6 years)
I've really only made friends here with people who are also from back east...having the hardest time fitting in with people, it just seems like i talk too much, or too fast, I don't wash my car enough, like public transportation and dunkin donuts....basically I can't let it go. Its been over a year, I want to go back every day. So if it takes 10 years to assimilate i don't know what to do.
Not to say i sit around and cry all the time, I try to make my own experiences, but I have never felt homesickness like this.
You'll be okay. Maybe everyone here should start a support group? The City-Data Support Group? That might be kind of fun!!!

I moved here from the East Coast too and it was hard at first but now I think it would be hard to leave. There is so much here! REALLY!! There are a lot of things here! And a lot of people too!!

Cheer up! It gets better!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 9,985 times
Default Help!!

I know exactly what you're talking about! I moved to Phoenix from Pennsylvania about 7 months ago with my long-term girlfriend and I've been experiencing some pretty strange things psychologically for awhile now that I've come to see as severe homesickness.

The first 3 months I felt pretty excited and content with life in the desert. I felt like I was on vacation every day and I got to drive past a gorgeous mountain (Camelback in case there's anyone from PHX reading this) to Scottsdale for my job every day. I went to Sedona in July and cried over how beautiful it was and felt like Arizona was an amazing state. Then sometime around the beginning of September I started feeling a lot of anxiety and at the end of the month I had a panic attack out of the blue while driving to work one day. After this I spent pretty much all of October and November feeling depressed and numb except for a brief period of time when my friends came to visit over Thanksgiving. I started seeing a counselor at the end of October and I decided to change jobs at the beginning of November since I wasn't really making enough money and I also wanted to devote myself to a career teaching music (which is what I went to college for) in Glendale. In December I felt like I was bipolar because of daily mood swings I began having which ranged between feeling incredibly sad and wanting to leave and feeling high as a kite and loving Arizona. My parents came out to visit over Christmas and since they left I have fallen into a deep hole emotionally. I went back to my teaching job this week and have felt apathetic towards it and having anxiety attacks and wanting to drive back to my apartment every day.

I am now finding myself afraid of going back to Pennsylvania to visit my family and friends because I am worried that I will feel too good being home and not want to come back here. I have completely lost my desire to travel to places outside the city (even going to Sedona made me sad the last time I went) and I now get depressed when I drive to places I used to love going to in the Phoenix area. I just don't understand how I could love a place so much and feel like it was so right for me and now feel completely lost and depressed about my life.

There are so many opportunities out here and I do love the weather and the scenery (although I miss seasons a bit). The people kind of bother me at times though because they seem not willing to make friends and after seven months my girlfriend is still the only person I feel really close to out here. And of course my girlfriend loves it out here and would be miserable if we moved back east. I don't really even know if moving back to PA would make me feel better at this point. I mean, it would be familiar and I would be closer to my family, but I would probably not be able to find a job teaching and I'd also probably end up going back to college to get another degree to pass the time.

I really don't know what to do about this. My counselor also seems to be stuck with how to help me manage this. And in the meantime, what can I do to be happy enough to get by out here? I feel like I'm ruining my life!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 9,985 times
And yes, I realize that this thread is for LA people, but there aren't any like this on the Phoenix page so I hope nobody minds me posting on here.

...I'm only 5 hours away from you guys anyway...

Old 01-10-2008, 12:35 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsalty View Post
When I was a little girl we used to vacation on Cape Cod. Prettiest natural places--I have to agree. The entire atmosphere was wonderful. I am so sorry you're homesick. If you want to talk about it, PM me, ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles