Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:53 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,638,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, Kate. I wasn't the one who said that. You were quoting windsurfinggirl.
i stand corrected there, but it make me wonder even more why you thought my statements were addressed to you, personally????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
i stand corrected there, but it make me wonder even more why you thought my statements were addressed to you, personally????
Kate, I didn't. I was just answering a post that you placed on my thread.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,638,569 times
sorry. i didn't realize it was YOUR thread. goodbye!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:41 PM

170 posts, read 983,114 times
ok my name is windsurfing is kewl not wind surfing girl. lol

Ramsey is the best town in NJ. I live 10 minutes from there. I would live there...but i dont have $700,000 for a house..

But anyway..how is LA different from NJ(besides the weather)? NJ is basically NYC sprawl, a labrynth of highway systems, a beach, mountains, trendy american culture. LA is city sprawl, labrynth of highways, beachs, mountains, trendy american culture...

What are the main differences youve noticed?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:18 AM

Okay, hmm, well, let's see.

Not all of these things will seem good or bad to everyone. They're just differences. To me, I can see both good and bad, to both NJ and SoCal.

One thing that's good is that the people do seem at least outwardly more friendly here. Significantly so. You don't have to pack your own groceries...the checkers run to help you. You'll always get a smile when you buy something or talk to anyone on the street. You'll always get a wave "hello" if you take a walk, and this from strangers. Kids as well. Keep in mind that I'm not in the city. I'm out in the suburbs. I don't know if it's different in LA "proper".

The mountains are neat to see in LA. I mean you're driving through the city and there's this backdrop of mountains. Tall mountains. Eight thousand feet...nine...maybe more. That part is very cool.

Now, there's not the "historical" vibe here (even though LA surely has as old a history as the east coast). Whereas you get that sense of charm on the east coast, the charm and "hominess" and "old family"-ness and all that of the east coast is missing out here. Or at least as I see things.

Homes here can be beautiful, but tend to be, again, less charming. You tend to see more "cookie cutter" "oh, here's another one-story Spanish style ranch" home out here. There's much more individuality that way on the east coast. *Again*...keep in mind I'm comparing suburbs to suburbs.

Home prices in general in LA are higher than home prices in general in New Jersey...yes, even more pricey than Ramsey. (Which I almost wouldn't have thought possible...) The difficulty here is that salaries are *not* significantly higher than NY/NJ.

The weather is nice here, of course...except for five blistering months a year...yeowch. (In NY/NY, you might get a blistering 100-degree one or two or three weeks.) It's much less muggy...but definitely much more air polluted. There are a lot of "hazy" days here. That's air pollution, sadly. That's not to say there haven't been a lot of clean-air initiatives in SoCal in the past 30-odd years, just as there were tons of clean-water and clean-soil initiatives in NJ in the past 30-odd years.

You won't be able to get directly from anywhere to anywhere here. You're used to public transportation...extremely complete, every-9-minutes, available 24 hours transportation. There's a reason they say "nobody walks in LA" or "everybody drives in LA". Everybody DOES drive in LA. Okay, not every single person, obviously! ETA: SoCal natives will tell you, "there are buses all over the place! And there's the MetroLink..." I am here to tell you that unless one has lived in the northeast, one doesn't know what being able to obtain transportation at literally any time day or night in any area really is. Again, not good, not bad, just a difference that WILL surprise you.

Back to the weather, it definitely is temperate and predictable MUCH more so than the northeast, and of course there's no snow, sleet, ice to drive in. It's so awesome to be able to predict that you WILL go for a hike this weekend, or you CAN have your child's birthday party out doors next month...with a 90% degree of accuracy. There is much less of a rhythm, there's no expectation of changing seasons, and there's much less "seasonal" stress on holidays. Again, some might consider this good, some bad and some neutral. It leaves me very lonely and very off-rhythm. But being able to take walks for 7 months of the year certainly is nice.

There's lots to do here. But you generally feel very "sterile" and "far from" nature. My husband always says, "Oh, we can drive to our seasons! If we want snow, we can drive to a mountain and then come back home that night." Great for some, weird for others. Actually, a lot of people must feel the way my husband does because I hear this type of comment a lot. So you might feel the same way too.

The vibe: totally different...100% different...I can't explain how. Definitely completely different, which is why I was surprised that you said you thought LA must be like NJ.

Hope all that helps...maybe someone else who has lived in both places can give some input.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,443 times
I've lived in Los Angeles for about 12 years now and I am starting to really hate it. I'm originally from Long Island. The people back East just seem more genuine and not as shallow. I know that's stereotyping L.A. people, but that's been my experience. People out here are sort of superficial. Plus I hate the boring weather. I'm getting ready for a move, but haven't figured out where yet.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:43 PM

36 posts, read 196,747 times
It sounds like you're having a very difficult time and I'm sorry for that. Given that this homesickness has persisted for more than two years, you may be suffering from depression. I would suggest seeking professional help from a psychologist or clinical social worker. They will be able to help you work through your homesickness/depression faster than anything else.

You can find a therapist through your insurance provider. You can also find a psychologist in your area on American Psychological Association or a social worker at socialworker.org.

Best of luck.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:07 AM

Sondra,

Do you have any ideas in mind that you've been considering? Just curious. Do you still have family/friends back east?

Old 02-14-2008, 06:19 AM

312 posts, read 1,519,529 times
West coast is much more nicer ! ! !

Old 02-14-2008, 07:58 AM

105 posts, read 482,352 times
I'll be moving to Socal from Maryland at the end of the month. I've always hated the winter and dreaded the end of summer because I knew winter and the cold was coming. I would get depressed for a few days in September and during daylight savings time because I knew the days were getting shorter. Because I hate the cold and winter sooo much I'm definitely looking forward to moving to Socal where the weather is always mild.

I am kind of nervous about it though because it's all the way on the other side of the country. People also keep telling me, "It's a completely different world over there". I know I'll have to adjust (especially to the traffic) but I'm ready. Can't wait to move and get away from all of this cold, freezing weather. Hopefully it won't take me too long to adjust and I won't be homesick for too long. I hope you're feeling better JerZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles