Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 07:51 PM

6 posts, read 15,257 times

Advertisements

I have bought a new town house. Recently, I received a letter from the HOA asking me to remove cigarette butts strewn between my house and the house facing mine. I do not smoke and neither does my wife. I walked around and found that several butts are lying in the houses next to mine as well. The letter has asked me to remove the butts or submit my appeal in writing.

What should my next steps be ? In future, what should I do to ensure that I am not a target of something like this ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 08:27 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Collect them in a bag and drop it on the HOA president's door.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:14 PM

79 posts, read 238,280 times
Don't know if HOA's are different between townhouse and condos. From what I know, it should be HOA's resposibility to notify everyone about littering and the cigarette butts being found in that area. Chances are if your neighbors smoke you will see them at some point. As long as you are sure that your visitors or any of your children should you have any do not smoke as well, I would contact your HOA board and formally notify them that nobody at your home smokes and refuse to clean external grounds being that you know your neighbor does smoke. Taking a quick snap shot photo of your neighbors smoking doesnt hurt either.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:49 PM

168 posts, read 549,308 times
yeah just tell them you dont smoke and if they are cool it should be the end of it. They should investigate the where the cig butts come from before making a quick decision. Just document all your correspondents with them.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr7 View Post
yeah just tell them you dont smoke and if they are cool it should be the end of it. They should investigate the where the cig butts come from before making a quick decision. Just document all your correspondents with them.
I would do all the above. Go ahead, pick them up but also let them know you do not smoke, nor does your wife and you don't think it is your responsebility to pick them up in the future or to be a watch dog.

NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles