Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 07:51 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,638 times

Advertisements

My relatives want me to join them in Northridge and purchase a property with them that they live near. Everything I've researched says that there have been a lot of earthquakes (including a really bad one) in the past and high crime. When I asked my relatives about this, they said they haven't encountered any earthquakes or crime since they moved to that area. They live in an area full of homes and have been in Northridge for years.

Is Northridge that bad or that good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 08:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Mostly that good.
Definitely not high crime.
Yes, big quake in 1994 (and not far away in Sylmar in 1971).
Most homes (other than apartments) there are one and two story wood frame homes which pretty much are indestructible from a quake (but not a fire)
Pretty good schools (north of Nordoff)
Hot in summer
Not a singles heaven
Mostly families
Not far from metrolink
Not far from 118 and 405 freeways

Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
earthquakes can happen anywhere in LA, northridge isn't any more prone than say hollywood or long beach. the northern part of northridge is also very nice and family friendly. however, the areas bordering northridge to the south and the east aren't that savory, so try to avoid these places.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 PM

So I should avoid the south and east parts of Northridge and not worry about earthquakes too much? As for not being a 'singles haven', would a young single female be unhappy there with so much family life? I don't need to go out all the time, but are there any fun areas of Northridge I should know about?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:05 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
northridge itself would not be a place i think you would spend much of your leisure time. even with the university, it's a pretty sleepy part of LA. however, other parts of the valley like encino, sherman oaks, and studio city aren't too far and offer a lot more for a young, single person.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
My relatives want me to join them in Northridge and purchase a property with them that they live near. Everything I've researched says that there have been a lot of earthquakes (including a really bad one) in the past and high crime. When I asked my relatives about this, they said they haven't encountered any earthquakes or crime since they moved to that area. They live in an area full of homes and have been in Northridge for years.

Is Northridge that bad or that good?
Anyplace can have earthquakes, especially anywhere in California. Well I don't mean anyplace in the world, but certainly in California. Yes, there have been a couple of biggies in Northridge, but we can't live with fear all the tiime. As for high crime rate, not at all. Again, it is part of Los
Angelees, which isn't like a small rural town, but Northridge is a very nice community and not what would be considered high crime by anymeans.

Nita

Old 05-21-2010, 05:10 PM

Thanks everyone for the information!

Old 05-22-2010, 10:59 AM

105 posts, read 306,333 times
I work in Northridge. There are some upscale areas with million dollar homes, some barrio's and everything in between. If your considering it, you should visit the area for a while to check it out and explore. It shouldn't be difficult to tell which neighborhoods you feel comfortable with.

All of southern CA is prone to earthquakes. It's just something you learn to deal with, but the majority of them are very minor. Everywhere is vulnerable to some kind of natural disaster.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:51 PM

63 posts, read 281,235 times
It seems to me that pretty much everything North of the Northridge mall is a bit nicer and safer. Once you pass the mall going south, things can get a little more dirty. (correct me if I'm wrong)

The mall is really nice in Northridge. Been going there for nearly 20 years. In 1994 that mall was leveled and took a few years to get it rebuilt. You see lots of families in this town. Lots of kids on skateboards! Also, some good food can be found all over town. Plus there is so many other towns that surround Northridge that you'll find whatever your looking for.

I would not worry about Earthquakes. Yeah the '94 was centered in Northridge but even if it was to be centered somewhere else in LA, you would still feel the hell out of it in Northridge!

I'd suggest going to the town. Drive around, walk around, go to the mall etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles