Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:32 PM

21 posts, read 83,203 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from the Bronx to Los Angeles this summer. I've lived in NY my entire life and one of the things I truly cherish about NY is going up to the Catskills every summer. Does LA have anything remotely like this? People from NY know what I mean. There is just something special about the Catskill area. That timeless summer camp vibe that just lingers up there. So I guess what I'm really asking is does Los Angeles have a slow rural vacation area that's about 2-3 hours away from the city? This is probably my one and only concern, ha! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 02:48 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
maybe the big bear area, but i'm not familiar with the catskills.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:08 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Yes, the Sierras.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:36 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,631 times
My "Catskills" is the Santa Ynez wine country.

Photo taken from Santa Ynez Valley Visitors Association - Heart of Santa Barbara's Wine Country

Old 05-21-2010, 03:46 PM

787 posts, read 1,942,108 times
Well, upstate New York is nice....but what LA has "upstate" from it is a VERY wide range of landscapes that is truly mind boggling: deserts, snow capped moutains, and the pacific ocean....including the HIGHEST peak (Mt. Whitney) in the continental USA and the LOWEST elevation (Death Valley) in the USA.

I agree with Fontucky that the Sierras are the GEMS of California mountains with rugged peaks and tranquil forests....including YOSEMITE NTL PARK and SEQUOIA NTL PARK. Truly spectacular...but they are probably more like 4 or 5 hours from LA.

That said, here are some good escapes from LA...only 1 or 2 hours by car (or less):

Nearby desert escapes:
1. Joshua Tree National Park
2. Death Valley National Park (more like 3 or 4 hours)
3. Palm Springs

Nearby Mountain Escapes:
1. Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area http://smmc.ca.gov/
(includes hiking trails with ocean views in the City of LA..no need to leave town)
2. San Gabriel Moutains
3. Big Bear Lake and Ski Areas http://www.bigbearinfo.com/index.php
4. Angeles National Forest http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/ (with peaks over 10,000 feet)
5. Mount San Gorgonio San Gorgonio Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nearby Ocean escapes:
1. Catalina Island
2. Santa Barbara
3. Ojai (inland from Santa Barbara but WONDERFUL)
4. Other Channel Islands

Old 05-21-2010, 04:11 PM

21 posts, read 83,203 times
Thanks for all the info and links! I appreciate the help.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:11 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
3. Ojai (inland from Santa Barbara but WONDERFUL)
I keep hearing about Ojai but have never been. What about it makes is so great?

Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 PM

787 posts, read 1,942,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
I keep hearing about Ojai but have never been. What about it makes is so great?
Well, Ojai is probably "somewhat" overrated by its most partisan fans...yet it does have a very interesting artistic culture combined with a walkable town surrounded by great moutain and hiking trails. For being so close to LA you simply do NOT feel you are anywhere near the 2nd biggest city in the country....

I liked your post on the Santa Ynez Valley...very GOOD call too.

Here's a very ignorant question: How do you post a digital photo into a thread like you did? Been wanting to do that but can NOT figure it out for the life of me.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:31 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhb View Post
I'm moving from the Bronx to Los Angeles this summer. I've lived in NY my entire life and one of the things I truly cherish about NY is going up to the Catskills every summer. Does LA have anything remotely like this? People from NY know what I mean. There is just something special about the Catskill area. That timeless summer camp vibe that just lingers up there. So I guess what I'm really asking is does Los Angeles have a slow rural vacation area that's about 2-3 hours away from the city? This is probably my one and only concern, ha! Thanks!
Having lived in both places, I can attest to that there is a big difference between NYC and L.A. in that nature is very close by in L.A. You don't have to travel 2 - 3 hours out of the city to be in a "Catskills"-like environment. Of course, southern California's nature is mediterranean and in that respect not the same as the Catskills. Nevertheless, getting into nature and out of the hustle and bustle of the city is a lot easier to do in L.A. than NYC. That said, you're not limited to the areas directly adjacent to or within the city. You can certainly find solace in nature further out. California is a beautiful state with lots of variety in nature.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:49 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
hbhb, Just wondering, do people really leave the city for summer homes or summer long camps like in Dirty Dancing and other movies? Always wondered that and how they are all able to afford to take the summer off from work each year. You stated that you visited the Catskills during your summers. How do the employers feel about taking the summer off?

Around here you can drive a short distance to many outdoor areas, from mountains to flat lands and over to the ocean or some of the many lakes within the Los Angeles, Ventura, Kern, Orange, or San Bernadino Counties. You can be skiing in the winter one day and the next day, or even the same day be surfing on the coast. One thing that may be very differant is that we don't have an outdoor area covered in trees like in the Catskills. Here in the Southwest we irrigate to get things to grow. Not a lot of irrigation going on in the hillside or mountains. Our hillsides are more shrub covered with trees that are shorter than what you may be used to. Their is lots of vegetation just a differant kind than in the North East.

Living in Ventura County North West of Los Angeles I have plenty of friends that like to head over to the mountains to hike and Mountain bike. Close to the city you will also find plenty of places to hike, ride a bike, or just hang out. The Santa Monica Mountain Nature Preserve (Think I am saying that right) Has lots of hiking trails, miles and miles of hiking trails. Plenty of places to hike around Malibu and Calabassas as well. We like to camp over at Malibu Creek State Park. Lots of old film memories there to visit. Staying there you would never know that you are within a half hour of millions of people. If you ever saw the old MASH episodes you will know what I am talking about. That is the place MASH was filmed.

Like LASam mentioned, if you are looking for a more lush landscape you will need to head to "up State" California to the wine country. Very beautifull up there. Also heading North of Santa Barbara you will find some very lush and green areas. Even up in the Los Padres National Forrest near Ojai Just north of the Ventura Oxnard area you will find plenty of trees to wonder around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles