Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 05:48 PM

15 posts, read 58,869 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My building is being converted to condos and while originally the required move out date was in October, an extension until February was offered to the tenants (market conditions?). Anywhoo, I opted to extend and was granted the extension until Jan 1, 2008 (in writing).

2nd week of November, I received a noticed that due to change in construction schedule I would now need to move by Dec 1st. I replied to building ownership this would not be possible, but would valintly try to move out as soon as possible with the intent of moving out during by the 15th.

After learning that the last resident and bldg. manager would move out Dec 20th, I submitted a pro-rated rent extending until Dec 21st with a letter of my intent to move before that date. Today, I received a note, rejecting my check for pro-rated rent, a request to provide the full month's rent or vacate unit within 3 days or immeadiate eviction?

I don't even believe this is possible in LA, I have always paid my rent for the last 7 years on time in my rent-controlled building and they still have my security? Can any one confirm that the building owner is seeking a lawsuit if they evict? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 06:07 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Resubmit a check for the full amount. they would have to return the "unused" portion to you. The 3 day pay or quit is open to them because you didn't give them the full amount. You should also contact a tenants organization in the LA area (there must be one). Check this link;

LA Weekly - News - Tenants’ Rights - Christine Pelisek - The Essential Online Resource for Los Angeles

good luck

Old 12-06-2007, 06:10 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
you have special LARSO rights in the case of condo conversion, which apply whether the building is rent-controlled or not. among other things, you might be entitled to monetary relocation assistance. call the housing department or an attorney.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:10 PM

Okay, but even if I don't, they would have to start the eviction process, which at a minimum is 60, maybe 90 days now? Right?

Old 12-06-2007, 06:14 PM

Oh and I wouldn't have such a big problem with it if I had recieved a larger relocation package, one given to those who notified after 4/11, but since I didn't and only received $3.4K...well that will be gobbled up with new apt's security, new apt's first month, and moving costs. In short, If I summed up everything including my current full month's rent $7K+. I mean, yea, I'm trying to save a couple hundred bucks, but it's also preventing me from going into the red.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:19 PM

22 posts, read 196,543 times
Wow, I never heard of such a thing as a 3 day eviction in Baltimore. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:33 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccollim View Post
Wow, I never heard of such a thing as a 3 day eviction in Baltimore. Good luck.
I never did either until I came to LA. If you're rent check isn't received by the due date they will literally hunt you down and kill you. LOL! Just kidding! But you'll get a three day notice saying either pay up or leave. If not, they'll prepare eviction proceedings against you. Trust, that's the last thing you want.

It's very, very, very different here.

This city has the most strictest, stringent laws in the country for just about EVERYTHING and nobody bat's an eyelash.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:46 PM

153 posts, read 637,343 times
It sounds like you really just want and need to be away from the situation, but you have rights. The eviction process can be started anytime after you don't "cure" the situation stated in the notice. If you have been served formal eviction papers (not just the 3 day "notice") what you should do is file a Motion to Quash. Of course, this is when things are official and you should only do this if you feel you can win (seriously, if you have only been given a notice, I'd just move before the eviction formally starts).

Filing a Motion to Quash is one method of "Answering" the eviction; there are others. If you Answer, the court will set a date for a trial and both sides will be able to present their cases. They'll most likely show up with attorneys, as should you. Most people work things out before the judge even calls the case while you guys are waiting out in the hallway, but be prepared. Oh, this takes anywhere from 5-6 weeks for Answered cases.

Should you lose, be prepared to pay attornees fees for the prevailing side, plus the judgement. Should you win, you'll get your attorney fees covered (assuming you asked for that) and any monies associated with moving and possibly punitive damages. You probably won't get anything for "stress" or "mental anguish", but give it a shot!

All in all, go forward only if you feel you can win. It is time consuming, mentally draining and can be very expensive. But I understand that you may want to go forward on the principle of the issue. Good luck whatever you choose.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:42 PM

10 posts, read 24,343 times
Default 3 Day Move

First Of All, They Should Be Paying You To Move. I Have A Friend That Buys And Sells Property. That Is What He Had To Do, Is Pay The Tenants To Leave. If You Already Signed An Agreement To Moving By Feb 2008. If They Want You Out Sooner, They Need To Pay You To Leave. They Can't Make You Leave Before That. It Is Their Problem. Fight It.
Good Luck.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:47 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I never did either until I came to LA. If you're rent check isn't received by the due date they will literally hunt you down and kill you. LOL! Just kidding! But you'll get a three day notice saying either pay up or leave. If not, they'll prepare eviction proceedings against you. Trust, that's the last thing you want.

It's very, very, very different here.

This city has the most strictest, stringent laws in the country for just about EVERYTHING and nobody bat's an eyelash.
Ahh, see there is the catch.. 3 days to leave, or they begin eviction proceedings.. that takes months..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles