Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:20 AM

6 posts, read 12,681 times

Advertisements

I know this is asked a lot - but there seemed to be a lot of old posts...so here it goes for an updated answer -
Got job offer... and can stay for free with new job in Canoga Park. Have a couple kids and a husband.
I guess I'm looking for something good - but I don't seem to be finding anything.
Is it a horrible Idea to move here?
Is there an area around there that is okay and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
Need to make a decision asap.

T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 02:47 AM

63 posts, read 281,214 times
It's okay there. I mean, there is some crime and I guess there can be "dangerous" stuff happening in some Conoga Park areas but there are also some nice middle class neighborhoods. Seems like a pretty average town to me. I would never worry about walking the streets but there are some ran down older neighborhoods in the area. I would not say it's a bad idea but I would recommend looking around at other places since there are many other close by towns you may like better.

I do like how you can just drive 5-10 min. down the main streets and be in another town with other attractions. You are just a stones throw from Northridge, Woodland Hills, Simi Valley etc.. Not very far from LA but just enough on the outskirts of LA county away from the massive downtown

Old 05-27-2010, 06:07 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Northridge or woodland hills. Of course it depends on what you define as an arm and a leg.

Depends also on how old your kids are and educational needs are.

Simi valley should be cheaper. 30 mom commute.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Pretty much the further west, the nicer the neighborhoods (and west of Shoup it is West Hills).
Simi would be a hassle drive as there are no clear direct routes and a lot of people commute east from Simi in the morning clogging Topanga for example.

Conejo Valley would be a little easier than Simi but probably not any faster, maybe Agoura Hills.

Still, we need budget and husband's job location.

With kids, you should factor in the data from this map:

California School Performance Maps

Old 05-27-2010, 07:59 AM

Wow.. I appreciate you all getting back so quickly.
We've never lived anywhere else but the Midwest and are really excited about checking out Cali. We wouldn't necessarily be planting our roots here - just more the less taking the job to check out something new - and let our kids check out something new. I grew up an air force brat so I have been all over the east coast. My husband and kids however, have never been out of Nebraska
Do you know much about the noble pines apartments? Can't find anything on it - not even pictures.
My husband is looking at a job there.

We are in our early 30's and we have two kids - 6 and 11. They are use to walking to school alone - so I'm sure our way of living will probably have to be adjusted. I did look on the school map and was not too happy to see how low a lot of the schools were. Maybe private school? I think I will make some phone calls today and see about possibly getting into some of the better ranking schools.

I have been doing a lot of research - such as looking at the crime stats map for LA - and I will be honest - it's a bit scary looking! lol. But it seems like almost all of LA or outlying areas are pretty scattered with crime. Is that right? Are these violent crimes? I can deal with car break ins and what not. It's the rape and murders that will make it a no go for me.

And then of course I read a post about some CPA gang? still around there?

Help!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:04 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,893,720 times
I found these reviews on apartmentratings.com - don't know if these will help or hurt.

Noble Pines Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Canoga Park apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Old 05-27-2010, 08:05 AM

OH - another question - I don't understand how one area can be that much better than another area when they are only a few blocks from each other? Do the criminals only stay on their certain block, or what? lol.
Omaha is not the best either right now. We have shootings almost daily anymore. I live in Papillion Ne right now - and it's ranked number 3 to live in the US. But seriously - it's lame. And Omaha is only about 10 miles from here and I feel safe where I am at. But there in Canoga park it seems like crime is bad on one block - and not on the other?

My hubby is going to check it out this weekend.... but I would love some advice from locals.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliboundmom View Post
Wow.. I appreciate you all getting back so quickly.
We've never lived anywhere else but the Midwest and are really excited about checking out Cali. We wouldn't necessarily be planting our roots here - just more the less taking the job to check out something new - and let our kids check out something new. I grew up an air force brat so I have been all over the east coast. My husband and kids however, have never been out of Nebraska
Do you know much about the noble pines apartments? Can't find anything on it - not even pictures.

We are in our early 30's and we have two kids - 6 and 11. They are use to walking to school alone - so I'm sure our way of living will probably have to be adjusted. I did look on the school map and was not too happy to see how low a lot of the schools were. Maybe private school? I think I will make some phone calls today and see about possibly getting into some of the better ranking schools.

I have been doing a lot of research - such as looking at the crime stats map for LA - and I will be honest - it's a bit scary looking! lol. But it seems like almost all of LA or outlying areas are pretty scattered with crime. Is that right? Are these violent crimes? I can deal with car break ins and what not. It's the rape and murders that will make it a no go for me.

And then of course I read a post about some CPA gang? still around there?

Help!

I'd focus the main lobe on schools. In all likelihood, if you find a place with good schools, crime risk will be pretty low. In fact, in the San Fernando Valley, even neighborhoods with mediocre schools probably don't have a lot of crime.

By the way, you still haven't provided a budget. You might get the most bang (school quality) for the buck in Agoura Hills or Simi Valley. The best schools near Canoga Park are in some of the most expensive neighborhoods that might not even have apartments. There are some apartments in Chatsworth and Woodland Hills.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
can stay for free with new job in Canoga Park.
Quote:
Does this mean you will be living at the NP Apartments? If so, beware of the schools.

Here's a picture

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...57.08,,0,-2.27

Old 05-27-2010, 08:33 AM

Charles -

Wow.. thanks.. how did you get that picture?? That was sweet.

My hubbys work incentive included an apartment to stay in. So yes, that is where we would be staying. We know it's not "luxury" apartments or anything - they are for fixed income - we know that. However, how bad is that area? and the apartments? do you know anything about them? I pulled up the crime map and it was like splotches all around that block. That worries me for obvious reasons.
BUT- I love my neighborhood now - and well, the crime map may look low but we have two sexual offenders right around the corner from where we live. That scares me more than a car break in. You know?

Can I drive my kids to a different school? LIke farther west? I'm going to make some calls today to some schools.

Budget - 1500 - 2000 for a 3 bedroom. That would get us a huge place here... lol. But there's no beach here - and the weather is crappy - and the people are so bah hum bug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles