Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 07:31 AM

4 posts, read 12,716 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm planning to apply one of junior colleges in LA next fall, and I was wondering if they have too many students so it's really hard to register classes that you want on time.

At first I was thinking about SMC, and after some research I found out that all students have different registration date depending on their units taken, so many students who just started of havent take much classes yet are having great difficulties in registering classes they want; they said if they have one or two days late registration date, most classes are all pretty much gone by the time they are to pick classes they need to take. It seems like it's gonna take like 5 years to graduate from that college, and I definitely dont want that

So tell me, anyone who's attending Pasadena City College, does this college have different registration date so it's really competitive in registering classes like SMC?

Oh plus, I'll be majoring in Nursing, do you know how long it usually takes to get in to the major? And is that like first come first serve basis or totally random chance for anyone who applied?

Thank you in advance, have a good day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 10:38 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmooa View Post
Hi, I'm planning to apply one of junior colleges in LA next fall, and I was wondering if they have too many students so it's really hard to register classes that you want on time.

At first I was thinking about SMC, and after some research I found out that all students have different registration date depending on their units taken, so many students who just started of havent take much classes yet are having great difficulties in registering classes they want; they said if they have one or two days late registration date, most classes are all pretty much gone by the time they are to pick classes they need to take. It seems like it's gonna take like 5 years to graduate from that college, and I definitely dont want that

So tell me, anyone who's attending Pasadena City College, does this college have different registration date so it's really competitive in registering classes like SMC?

Oh plus, I'll be majoring in Nursing, do you know how long it usually takes to get in to the major? And is that like first come first serve basis or totally random chance for anyone who applied?

Thank you in advance, have a good day!
At every university/community college/anything the dates of registering for classes goes by the amount of credits you have. Just be on top of things and register quickly and you will get your classes at PCC or SMC... go to whichever suits you best. Nothing is a sure thing with nursing programs.. go to the school and apply and you'll find out how long you have to wait and what class requirements you have to fill.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:49 PM

14 posts, read 35,009 times
What burgler said. Continuing students take priority over new or returning students. Apply on-line to both, and consider other community colleges as well. I've moved around alot and attended Citrus, PCC,El Camino and West L.A. and the consensus seems to be that getting into the actual nursing programs can take awhile.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:00 AM

425 posts, read 1,955,467 times
I go to PCC and they work about the same as SMC. Everyone's registration date is different. What you need to do is find out what date and time you can register, have a list of classes prepared, and register at the exact time that they have given you.

I don't know about the nursing program, but I don't think it's random.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:05 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
You're not getting into those classes. That's all there is to it. My friend who lives by PCC, said they're full by the 1st week. So if you don't have an early date, you're out of luck.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:07 AM

4 posts, read 12,716 times
Default Thanks!

Thank you so much for all your answers! It was really helpful in making my decision I looove this forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles