Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:14 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchui1028 View Post
Is there a reason for that? It almost make me feel like asians are not hip enough that all they choose to live in are bedroom communities.
Maybe they don't give two hoots about being "hip"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I don't even know if the Inland Empire or San Joaquin Valley have prejudice towards Asians.
None that I'm aware of.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It has the largest Vietnamese population outside of Viet Nam
I thought that honor belonged to OC.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:48 PM

233 posts, read 380,077 times
Alhambra borders downtown LA, and they have a lot of Asians. That is basically all you see in Alahambra!

Old 05-31-2010, 10:30 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
People live where they want to live. Even in Oxnard on the South East side near the college you will find a large concentration of Filipinos. Many of them were part of the Navy and never left. They have raised families here and built their lives here. I would asume that other communities have similar stories of immigrants that assimilated into the fabric of the communities that they chose to live in.

What I see with our state and maybe more so in the LA area is that we don't seem to care where someone is from. Funny thing is that I don't even know why this is a concern with anyone.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:50 PM

92 posts, read 351,229 times
Quote:
How come Most, if not almost all Asian people live in cities like Rowland Heights, Walnut, Chino Hills, Diamond Bar, all the areas in the far-east side of the Los Angeles?

Given that a lot of asians are wealthy in LA
Yet i see few in cities like West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, or nearby beach communities in LA County.

Is there a reason for that? It almost make me feel like asians are not hip enough that all they choose to live in are bedroom communities.
What kind of BS question is this? Asians are not "hip" enough to live in WeHo and Bividee Hills?

L.A. is a segregated city. Trust me. I used to live there because I attended college in L.A. I will be frank and state that people only associate with other people of the same racial or ethnic background.

It's so sad that life in L.A. is like this.

You also have to take into consideration about discrimanation and racism against Asians.

Honestly, when I lived in L.A., it seemed like the only 'visible' minorites were blacks and hispanics.

Us Asians were at the low-end of the ladder. You would hear research studies that talked about white/caucasian, hispanics, and blacks, but what about the Asian population?

Rowland Hts/ Monterey Park and Alhambra is mostly Chinese and Taiwanese.

Gardena/Torrance is Japanese and some Korean.

Fullerton, Cerritos, Garden Grove and other parts of OC is Korean.

Westminster and parts of Santa Ana is Vietnamese community.

In hell-A, you rarely see a black person shopping in Chinatown, or an Asian person shopping at Walmart near Compton.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:53 PM

92 posts, read 351,229 times
Quote:
hmm.. i'd be surprised that prejudice still exist in Los Angeles, I live in San Francisco and i don't see any prejudice toward asian at all. Though Self-segregation might be what it is.
Bay Area and smell-A are two different worlds.

In my opinion, I would rather live in the Bay Area than L.A.

L.A. seemed to have too many jerks, shallow people, materialistic snobs, people can't get along with each other. Managers or boss would belittle their employees.

L.A. may have sunnier and warmer weather of the year compared to NorCal, but don't let that trick you.

And no prejudice against East Asians in the Bay Area? Kidding me, right?

How about the incident last month where the two thugs beat up and killed the Chinese man and assaulted his son in Oakland?

Old 05-31-2010, 11:07 PM

12 posts, read 42,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxnardNative View Post
Alhambra borders downtown LA, and they have a lot of Asians. That is basically all you see in Alahambra!
Huh? What's your definition of downtown LA? It's not that close. Going to downtown LA (let's say Disney Concert Hall) takes at least half hour from let's say Fremont, which I would consider the eastern edge of the Chinese epicenter of SGV.

It's east of downtown, but not sure if many people would agree that Alhambra borders it.

As far as history of SGV and the Asians (specifically Chinese), you can check out this link for the history: History of Asians in the San Gabriel Valley

"Of the ten cities in the United States with the highest proportions of Chinese Americans, the first eight are located in the San Gabriel Valley."

Amazing huh? So there's definitely a huge network effect, where any new immigrants will go where everyone else is. That's why the real estate is still fairly stable since there's always outside demand (there was auctions in Pasadena, and outside investors from China gabbled up several units ALL CASH).

As far as cause:
"By the late 1970s, new Mandarin-speaking immigrant families were purchasing suburban homes in Monterey Park. Realtor Fred Hsieh actively sought to develop what later became called “Little Taipei” or the first suburban Chinatown. Monterey Park was ideal as it is just east of Chinatown and downtown Los Angeles but with a superior public educational system to that of Los Angeles Unified. The Chinese immigrants were also attracted to the suburban lifestyle with newer homes and by the 1980s, condos. One such Chinese commented, “With our limited English skills, we preferred newer homes to avoid the hassle of calling in plumbers, electricians, and the like.” The community was cemented by Diho Market on Atlantic Boulevard that sold fresh Asian produce, Asian meat cuts, and food needs. "

In short, good schools and new homes...Of course it wasn't always like this and part of it also was "white flight" out of the area - they couldn't stand the cooking ...

Old 05-31-2010, 11:08 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,057 times
Quote:
How come Most, if not almost all Asian people live in cities like Rowland Heights, Walnut, Chino Hills, Diamond Bar, all the areas in the far-east side of the Los Angeles?

Given that a lot of asians are wealthy in LA
Yet i see few in cities like West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, or nearby beach communities in LA County.

Not sure if there are actually fewer in other areas, but you get more housing for your money in the other areas that are newer. There are not as many large lot homes in the places you are talking about that are in the "typical" cost range and have good schools.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:15 PM

787 posts, read 1,942,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRickShawMan View Post
What kind of BS question is this? Asians are not "hip" enough to live in WeHo and Bividee Hills?

L.A. is a segregated city. Trust me. I used to live there because I attended college in L.A. I will be frank and state that people only associate with other people of the same racial or ethnic background.

It's so sad that life in L.A. is like this.

In hell-A, you rarely see a black person shopping in Chinatown, or an Asian person shopping at Walmart near Compton.
We can tell by your reference to LA as HELL-A and SMELL-A that you are quite an unbiased source!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles