Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2007, 04:10 PM

32 posts, read 267,787 times

Advertisements

What is this area like? Would it be a safe place for a single 23 year old female? Is it safe enough to walk around alone at night?

Also, how would the traffic be if traveling to the valley for work and to Santa Monica for school?

Thanks in advance for all answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 04:18 PM

3 posts, read 16,110 times
Ha, well I can tell you that I live here. Kinda funny I saw this thread out of no where...

Anyway, it's a good area. Miracle Mile has a lot of history, and it's close to major streets, like wilshire, olympic, etc. So it's easy to get around to basically anywhere in L.A, whether you are driving or taking the metro. You can basically just take wilshire down all the way to Santa Monica, that's what I did when I went down there pretty frequently.

Are you going to SMC, or UCLA?

What city are you coming from?

It's safe to walk at night, it's not a bad area at all. In fact, if you go up one block from wilshire, from the miracle mile side. You'll hit hancock park, and that's a whole nother' world in terms of "Hollywood"-ness. There are mansions stretching out forever, lol.

If you have any more questions, let me know!

Old 06-16-2007, 04:35 PM

Wow, that sounds pretty cool actually! I like living in a central location with lots to do around. I'm going to SMC and am moving from Richmond, Va. What is the average price range for a studio or 1 bd in that area?

Is Mid-Wilshire the same as Miracle Mile? I'm guessing not..

Last edited by Strummer83; 06-16-2007 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: forgot a question

Old 06-16-2007, 04:47 PM

Erm, do you have AIM? It would be easier to communicate about this.

Anyway, mid-wilshire? Heh, that's a hard thing to say. Wilshire spans all the way from Santa Monica to Downtown, that is A LOT of miles. Ha, but actually the more I think about it in my head, miracle mile could indeed but the middle of wilshire.

Average price ? I'm not really sure. The apartment I currently live in costs $800 and it's pretty fair / big for the price. If I walk outside and look north, I can see the Hollywood sign directly in front of my point of view, I always thought that was cool.

I may be attending SMC this winter myself, it depends if I have more time w/ all this work I've been getting myself into.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:56 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,009,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer83 View Post
Is Mid-Wilshire the same as Miracle Mile? I'm guessing not..
No. What is historically Mid-Wishire (Western Ave to Vermont Ave) is now often referred to as Koreatown.

Miracle Mile mostly runs between Highland or La Brea to San Vicente). It's a nice, hip area with a lot of retail shopping options from malls to street side storefronts, restaurants of every kind, cafes, and lots of coffee shops. The area around the The Grove and Farmers Market at Third Street and Fairfax is especially popular. The area is also home to the LA County Museum of Art (LACMA) and a few other museums. It's also very close to Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, and Hollywood. And you can get downtown pretty easily without taking the freeway.

The Miracle Mile is a great central location and I think the area offers the quintessential LA experience, especially if you are a young urban hipster type.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:04 PM

How safe is Mid-Wilshire in comparison? Or Koreatown? I don't remember liking it much the last time I was there..

Old 06-18-2007, 04:45 AM

I live right by mid-wilshire. It's pretty much 5 blocks away, and the area is fine. I've always been safe, never had a problem. It's 10 minutes to get to some really popular areas from mid-wilshire. It's not the prettiest place around L.A, as it's one of the older areas of course, but it's very easy to live there and then go where ever you need.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:44 PM

Oh okay, that sounds like it would be alright as another option then. Thanks for all the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles