Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 04:10 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times

Advertisements

thats such a cliche. i live on a nice family friendly block. we borrow tools and sugar all the time.

these generalizations are such garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I agree. I've known a few people who've relcoated here as singles and had a terrible time. They all moved back to where they came from within a couple of years. I think that those of us who've lived here a long time or have family here overlook how hard it would be to suddenly move to greater L.A. A company I used to work for which was based in the midwest would occasionally send staff here and many of them were overwhelmed with the freeways, pace of life, less than friendly people, etc. And I will never forget one of them making a presentation. He said, "In Cleveland, you ask your neighbor for a cup of sugar when you've run out. In L.A., your neighbor tells you, 'Ralphs is down the street.' " Ouch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 04:15 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
wow. you might be totally of your rocker now. your true colors are showing. it might be time to go back to strom front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
The illegal issue is a very emotional one, and has caused quite a bit division. That's all I will say on that because it's off topic. Yes it's sad when about fourth of the bad apples spoil the whole barrel, but L.A. men have a far reaching reputation acrosss the country for being cold and predatory.

You don't seem to have a problem with L.A. County's outrageous sales tax or 4 dollar a gallon gas. You may be 1) so flush with cash that you can live in the OC and L.A.'s huge problems just seem like so much amusing quant local color to you. or 2) You yourself may be profiting from this bloated and overfunded social services system here that you have the correct race to access, because of all the corrupton, nepotism and cronyism.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:19 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
The OP doesn't know how to budget properly. Stop buying LV purses and maybe you'll be able to save some money.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:45 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misdeliver View Post
I cannot wait to leave LA. I'm a 30 year old single, professional female who made over 100K last year and I feel POOR. I'm going back to the South to invest in real estate where I can actually build wealth and plan an awesome future. I thought about staying, but every time I see these rent prices, it makes me so angry to think how these prices keep everyone so poor! I like money though... perhaps security and future-building is not a priority for most?
That says a lot about you. You must not have the foggiest idea what poor means.

Quote:
Angelinos pay 9.75% in sales tax BECAUSE of their immigration problems, though they'll feed you a load of their liberal hippie-we-are-all-one talk to make you believe otherwise. You think you'd be paying that much if you didn't have illegals flooding your schools and hospitals and taking other social benefits? No. This is the most poorly run city I've ever seen. Live in Paris, pay those taxes, and actually RECEIVE real social benefits and be taken care of, instead of struggling to get by.... People who accept the way this city is run are saps.

As a side note, the people here are absolutely crazy. What else besides ego draws people to a city to try and "be someone." Also, the dating scene is the WORST I've ever experienced. Men don't know how to be men at all and are completely emasculated by these uber liberal femdoms... or maybe its the fact that many cannot afford to date at all. Either way, most cannot afford to have families, so if you are into having kids, stay away from this city in terms of finding potential matches.

To anyone who is so in love with LA and wanting to move here, that was me 3 years ago. Good luck trying to be a something and a somebody until you wake up and realize that's not what life is about at all...
So you're saying that three years ago you were a crazed egoist?

Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
thats such a cliche. i live on a nice family friendly block. we borrow tools and sugar all the time. these generalizations are such garbage.
Who said it was a generalization? It must have been that person's personal experience or he wouldn't have said it. Sorry if it wasn't your experience (and it isn't mine) but that wasn't the point of the statement. The fact of the matter is that L.A. can be an unfriendly place to a newcomer.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:23 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
I think its funny when people complain about "all the illegals" and then also talk about how the city is not family friendly. Hispanic culture is very family oriented.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:26 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,923 times
We are moving to the South in January. Very excited! Good luck to you.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:29 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
thats such a cliche. i live on a nice family friendly block. we borrow tools and sugar all the time.

these generalizations are such garbage.
You are in the minority. I'm born and raised in LA and from talking to natives over the years almost all of them don't know their neighbors. I'm glad to hear that you like the block you live on. Don't move because it's a rarity to find that in LA.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:14 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,399 times
I know my neighbors well and I was born in So Cal. In fact, every time I moved I got to know my new neighbors. I've lived in the City proper for almost 20 years now, and at my current residence for 13 years. NOT knowing the neighbors would be the rarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
You are in the minority. I'm born and raised in LA and from talking to natives over the years almost all of them don't know their neighbors. I'm glad to hear that you like the block you live on. Don't move because it's a rarity to find that in LA.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:16 PM

425 posts, read 1,955,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
That can be said about any city in the United States, particularly big cities. Frankly, I'd rather just not know my neighbors but get along with them than know them and hate them. That whole Cheers episode version of the neighborhood can go both ways - you can know your neighbors and like them or you can know them and have a lot of issues with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles