Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 28,699 times

Advertisements

Hi, new here with some questions I sure hope someone here can help me with. Nervous newbies here!!!!

After reading on here so many responses, I am lost on what would be a good area to live in close to my husband's job. He will be working at Los Angeles, AFB in El Segundo. We know nothing about LA..but what we have researched on the net. We thought about living in San Pedro, in base housing but after reading the posts and doing some research, I don't think the area would be safe. I mean safe, as being able to walk outside during the day and evening and go to parks, with the dogs, etc. An area that we could drive in without worrying if someone is going to carjack us at any moment, without the graffitt buildings, bombed out cars...etc. It looks like most of the Pedro area has seedy, run down buildings and rough streets. Not to mention, the commute would be pretty long from what I have heard.

Does anyone know an affordable area where we could possibly rent a house
or a (condo) for 2,000.00-2,500.00? My husband is retired Air Force and we are a quiet family, no kids. Would Santa Monica be to far to El Segundo?

Thank you and would appreciate ANY advice!!!

Robin W.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 07:01 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
santa monica isn't too far, but you can be closer to el segundo in a nice area that is less expensive than santa monica. also, not all of san pedro is bad either. in fact, much of it is very nice, especially around western blvd.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
He will be working at Los Angeles, AFB in El Segundo.

or a (condo) for 2,000.00-2,500.00?

Robin W.

I am not familiar with the prices or rents but other very nice areas are the south bay communities of El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach and Hermosa Beach - perfect for a childless couple. Very expensive close to the beach but maybe within your budget a little ways out. If you get too far out (inland, away from the beach) the neighborhoods could get sketchy.

Try Los Angeles Apartments, Orange County Apartments, and San Diego Apartments
HousingMaps and
and MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps

Old 06-08-2010, 04:03 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Hi Robin,

Check out westsiderentals.com

There are small houses in that price range in Westchester that are no more than a 15 minute rush hour drive from El Segundo. Lots of walkable areas. Apartments are much cheaper and still a nice area. You can probably find pretty nice apartments in Redondo Beach and Hermosa Beach as well. All are close, and portions of each are very nice and walkable and safe.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
Hi, new here with some questions I sure hope someone here can help me with. Nervous newbies here!!!!

After reading on here so many responses, I am lost on what would be a good area to live in close to my husband's job. He will be working at Los Angeles, AFB in El Segundo. We know nothing about LA..but what we have researched on the net. We thought about living in San Pedro, in base housing but after reading the posts and doing some research, I don't think the area would be safe. I mean safe, as being able to walk outside during the day and evening and go to parks, with the dogs, etc. An area that we could drive in without worrying if someone is going to carjack us at any moment, without the graffitt buildings, bombed out cars...etc. It looks like most of the Pedro area has seedy, run down buildings and rough streets. Not to mention, the commute would be pretty long from what I have heard.

or a (condo) for 2,000.00-2,500.00? My husband is retired Air Force and we are a quiet family, no kids. Would Santa Monica be to far to El Segundo?

Robin W.
El Segundo itself would work, or Santa Monica, even the Westchester area or some of the beach areas like Redondo and Manhattan.

Your price range might be a little low, but I am sure it is workable. Santa Monica, though a fun place is more pricey.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles