U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:27 AM

28 posts, read 135,544 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I am thinking of moving out to Echo Park can someone give me an idea of what the place is like pros/cons. I am moving from the East Coast and have heard the place is really cool for the younger crowd (I'm 25 and into the arts). Any information will be helpful!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 02:57 AM

9 posts, read 66,830 times
Well, Double Down, Echo Park is one of those places that has its good parts, and bad parts, and they are pretty close to each other. I've been to some really cool places in Echo Park, with great views. Then I've walked a few hundred yards to places where I get maddogged by the typical group of gang members hanging out on the sidewalk. I know that's not helpful, but if at all possible, check it out in person.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:26 PM

28 posts, read 135,544 times
Anyone else spent anytime in Echo Park?

Old 06-19-2007, 09:08 PM

116 posts, read 593,706 times
As the other poster mentioned Echo Park is still pretty hit or miss. There are some nice areas, but overall, I wouldn't want to live there. If you like the Echo Park vibe, I suggest checking out Silverlake. Silverlake has many more shops and restaurants, and is overall much safer. Anyplace near Sunset Junction is great! You would have access to all of the shops on Rowena and Hyperion, not to mention being close to Hillhurst and Vermont. It's a great area.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:48 AM

8 posts, read 120,770 times
skip echo park unless you have a tight budget. then look really really hard. I recommend Silverlake. It is about a mile west and much more hip. I have lived here for the past 5 years and I love it.

Echo park is very hit and miss, best to find a building where you know others. Or they live nearby. also parking in all of LA is pretty much a nighmare. try to get a place that provides parking.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:32 AM

34 posts, read 156,944 times
Wow...I am suprised Echo Park is getting some positive reviews. I used to live 10 minutes from Echo Park and would travel through on my way to Downtown, etc. The area immediately around Echo Park is very depressed with a very high crime rate. Legend held that LAPD would scrape the lake every couple months for dead bodies.

I would agree with the Silverlake recommendations.....

Old 06-24-2007, 10:41 PM

807 posts, read 3,628,246 times
Echo Park has changed a lot in the past decade. Right around Sunset can look iffy, but a few blocks north of there are many decent places to rent at reasonable (for L.A.) prices. Silver Lake is interesting, too, but it's much busier with much worse parking. A lot of young professionals look here to live close to downtown. Tough drive from the area to the Westside.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:58 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,045,748 times
You either "get" Echo Park or you don't. 15 years ago, I didn't want to get out of my car there as a young man from Redondo Beach. Now it's seen much gentrification. It's better to stay north of the freeway. Echo Park Lake is gorgeous. I recently spent part of a balmy afternoon there. Recent gentrification has changed the place a lot. Stunning views of downtown can be had from the hills and it has a character all it's own. The only way to find out if it's for you is to come see it in person. Silverlake 15 years ago is a lot like what Echo Park is today. The latter is still "up and coming". I personally prefer Los Feliz to both, that's where I live. If I find that killer haunted house on top of a hill in Echo Park, that could prompt a move (or an investment).

Old 06-27-2007, 12:05 AM

636 posts, read 2,548,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDownTrent11 View Post
Anyone else spent anytime in Echo Park?
Yeah. Listen to what the other posters are saying.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:02 PM

17 posts, read 75,925 times
Yes, Echo Park is much different than it was 15 years ago. So it Silverlake. Good luck affording rent in SL (studios for $1500 near me ... south of Sunset!!!), EP is creeping up, too. I mean expensive considering that these are quaint old parts of the city with failing infrastructures (some 4-way intersections still don't have stop signs, power goes out for several hours almost every time it rains).

Meet neighbors before you sign a purchase offer/lease. That'll be your best indicator for any little pocket or block you become interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles