U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:56 AM

245 posts, read 415,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Anyone miss $4 per gallon gas prices?
I don't.

Shrimpers, Fishermen and Oystermen don't get their job back after the moratorium while roughrednecks whine about their job.

How about you get a job that doesn't poop on the planet, Professor Hypocrite.
I'd love to hear about all the sacalait holes you get to in your pirogue. I assume, based on your contempt for the oil industry, that you don't consume hydrocarbons for anything beyond the essential functions, for which, you have no reasonable alternative. I must assume that you use oil and/or gas strictly for things like getting back and forth to/from work. I can't imagine that the person who posted what you did above could bring themselves to use gas for recreational activites, like fishing. So, how many sacalait holes are within paddling range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 11:44 AM

38 posts, read 84,309 times
Interesting article in the NY Times about the determination, and plight, of Cajuns.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/19/us...n.html?_r=1&hp

No, I don't think people on the Gulf are going anywhere.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:20 PM

2,049 posts, read 4,711,445 times
nope they arent.
Theyll hang on, because thats what they know, and all they care to know.
Thats how much people love this region.
If you dont live around here, youll never understand it.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:47 AM

121 posts, read 278,736 times
Innotech:If you dont live around here, youll never understand it.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:50 AM

Products made from Petroleum?

One 42-gallon barrel of oil creates 19.4 gallons of gasoline. The rest (over
6000) are used to make things like:

Bearing Grease- Floor Wax -Ballpoint Pens - Football Cleats- Fishing lures-Tires -Tool Boxs-Motorcycle Helmets- Basketballs -Trash Bags - Water Pipes- Paint Rollers- Shower Curtains-Guitar Strings- Luggage-Roofing -Toilet Seats-Tennis Rackets-Toothbrushes -Ice Chest- Eyeglasses

Shall I go on?

Old 07-26-2010, 01:57 AM

I'm a Cajun. We've been here long before the oil industry. I wouldn't mind the OIL INDUSTRY going somewhere else... in fact I hope the moratorium lasts for a long time to send some of the oil field infidels back to mississippi, texas, oklahoma or where ever they came from.

Your wish is partially coming true. We are having to uproot our ENTIRE life to move to Colorado because of this. BP should be banned from doing ANY work in the gulf -let them go back to where they came from. Does that mean ALL oilfield companies should be shunned because of this? I don't think so but tell that to the companies who are transferring Cajun men out of state and out of the country. Tell my kids who have lived here all their life. Tell that to my mother who is having to deal with her only daughter moving to a 20 hour drive. Could be worse we could be transferred to Russia like our best friends.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:04 AM

all I know is, this isnt the first time Louisiana has turned down help from the Dutch. Nobody is more experienced in aquatic control and disaster prevention than the Dutch, with their long history of **** building and flood control. I think its about time we stopped trying to save money and started listening.

Bobby Jindal wouldn't have turned this down- If not for HIM I'd have lost all hope by now. Go higher than him and that's who REFUSES help! Louisiana has ALWAYS been treated like a red headed stepchild!

Old 07-26-2010, 04:51 AM

67 posts, read 156,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRenee View Post
Products made from Petroleum?

One 42-gallon barrel of oil creates 19.4 gallons of gasoline. The rest (over
6000) are used to make things like:

Bearing Grease- Floor Wax -Ballpoint Pens - Football Cleats- Fishing lures-Tires -Tool Boxs-Motorcycle Helmets- Basketballs -Trash Bags - Water Pipes- Paint Rollers- Shower Curtains-Guitar Strings- Luggage-Roofing -Toilet Seats-Tennis Rackets-Toothbrushes -Ice Chest- Eyeglasses

Shall I go on?
Thank you PRenee. Quick and dirty would be to ask...do you use anything made out of plastic as well. Most people have no idea all that petroleum goes into making and never will since most either don't care or don't have an intelligence high enough to figure it out. Oh and don't forget most paints.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:01 AM

67 posts, read 156,330 times
I would also point out that PBO appointed a council to "investigate" this incident that is comprised of not a single person with any knowledge of the oil industry much less drilling, and environmentalists. All that will come of this is what is all ready known, that BP/Transocean operated in violation of a number of rules and ignored results of mandatory testing telling them there was a problem. This is like grounding all planes until an environmentalist tells you what to do b/c a plan crashed in the Everglades...oh that happened and we didn't gound all planes? Case and point it above folks, jobs will leave LA in droves and as much as some of you tree huggers and hypocrits may want that and the oil industry to get gone, all that will happen is costs will increase on everything from gas to taxes (smaller tax base). Our consumption of oil as a country isn't going down so making them stop drilling is about the dumbest thing you could propose. We'll just have to get more oil produced by these same rigs...but they'll be off the coast of Africa, or South America or heck even off of Cuba...but the jobs will be there not here and the money will go there not here. I'm so sick of this imaginary world people live in where there's no consequences.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:02 PM

431 posts, read 970,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeagleWeagle View Post
I would also point out that PBO appointed a council to "investigate" this incident that is comprised of not a single person with any knowledge of the oil industry much less drilling, and environmentalists. All that will come of this is what is all ready known, that BP/Transocean operated in violation of a number of rules and ignored results of mandatory testing telling them there was a problem. This is like grounding all planes until an environmentalist tells you what to do b/c a plan crashed in the Everglades...oh that happened and we didn't gound all planes? Case and point it above folks, jobs will leave LA in droves and as much as some of you tree huggers and hypocrits may want that and the oil industry to get gone, all that will happen is costs will increase on everything from gas to taxes (smaller tax base). Our consumption of oil as a country isn't going down so making them stop drilling is about the dumbest thing you could propose. We'll just have to get more oil produced by these same rigs...but they'll be off the coast of Africa, or South America or heck even off of Cuba...but the jobs will be there not here and the money will go there not here. I'm so sick of this imaginary world people live in where there's no consequences.
All I know is that IF the local oilfield economy gets moved elsewhere, I'll still be here. I fly planes for a living, but I've had my fun over thirty years and that time has served me well. But I'll mow lawns in order to stay here if it comes to that. Let's just hope it doesn't After spending about 70 grand in training and certification in the aviation field, forgive me when I say that I'd like to actually stay here....

Flying is what I do.

Last edited by JimLFT; 07-26-2010 at 11:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or