U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 11:02 AM

177 posts, read 474,684 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, before I start I just want to say I'm not looking for a job directly on here, nor am I asking if anyone knows of a specific job for me. I'm just curious as to what the job market in Louisiana is like for someone like me? A little background:

I'm 23, been working for the Red Cross in emergency services for exactly a year now. I also have a B.A. in criminal justice/sociology (double major) with a history minor. I live in Philly, work in NJ, and the gf and I are looking to get out of the money pit that is living in the northeast corridor!

The gf is from SC originally and we both love the deep South (I actually interviewed for a job in Mississippi a few months back).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 04:50 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,995,247 times
Compared to somewhere like Michigan it is booming here, even with the moratorium.

The shrimpers, fishermen and oystermen are hurting so don't persue that career change.
They don't get their jobs back after the moratorium.

If you like the South, you'll love it here. There are festivals any given weekend somewhere in the state of humidity for every animal, vegetable and mineral... and the food here is like none other. Cajuns can cook.

I'd suggest Lafayette area. You're far enough inland to miss the storm surges for the most part.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:28 PM

431 posts, read 965,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayb3 View Post
Hey everyone, before I start I just want to say I'm not looking for a job directly on here, nor am I asking if anyone knows of a specific job for me. I'm just curious as to what the job market in Louisiana is like for someone like me? A little background:

I'm 23, been working for the Red Cross in emergency services for exactly a year now. I also have a B.A. in criminal justice/sociology (double major) with a history minor. I live in Philly, work in NJ, and the gf and I are looking to get out of the money pit that is living in the northeast corridor!

The gf is from SC originally and we both love the deep South (I actually interviewed for a job in Mississippi a few months back).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Are you open, or even desirous to remain in the EMS industry, or are you more looking to put your degree to use? If it's the former, Acadian Ambulance Service might be a good fit for you. If it's the latter, then at the very least, Acadian could probably offer instant, decent-paying employment until you find what suits you. You wouldn't necessarily be limited to the Lafayette area either. The Acadian service area spans from parts of southern Mississippi all the way into parts of Texas. They even serve the offshore oil industry.

Careers : Acadian Companies

By the way, my mom is from Charleston, SC and has found many similarities here in south Louisiana. Unfortunately, most of them involve the climate, but there are positive ones, as well. As long as you can acclimate to hot-humid summers, you'll do well.

We'd love to have you here, and best of luck in whatever you decide to do!

Old 06-30-2010, 07:12 PM

100 posts, read 357,798 times
My wife moved here from the northeast as well. We live in Zeeland area of Baton Rouge and love it!

She loves it here even more than I do. Economically, Louisiana has weathered the recession better than everywhere else. Cost of living is very low, and there is plenty of interesting and fun things to do here.

New Orleans is amazing for anyone who likes architecture, performing arts, great food, or just a good time....Baton Rouge is more of the "American" city in Louisiana that's growing (rapidly, I might add) into a mix of cultures from all parts of the state and all parts of the country...though it's not as entertaining as NOLA, it is within a hour's drive of the French Quarter and Acadiana. Lafayette is a small cajun town that's grown into a suburban area with a surprisingly good night life (Cajuns usually live up to their notoriously friendly reputation).

NOLA and Baton Rouge especially have a lot of growth in the medical and film industries. Lafayette is deep into oil and financial services related to the oil industry.

I do, however, have several friends in the engineering industry that have been unemployed for over 5 months. My wife had a very difficult time finding a position fitting her background....but it all worked out.

Good luck to you. If you have any questions, we'd more more than happy to answer!

Welcome to Louisiana!

Old 07-01-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southland View Post
My wife moved here from the northeast as well. We live in Zeeland area of Baton Rouge and love it!

She loves it here even more than I do. Economically, Louisiana has weathered the recession better than everywhere else. Cost of living is very low, and there is plenty of interesting and fun things to do here.

New Orleans is amazing for anyone who likes architecture, performing arts, great food, or just a good time....Baton Rouge is more of the "American" city in Louisiana that's growing (rapidly, I might add) into a mix of cultures from all parts of the state and all parts of the country...though it's not as entertaining as NOLA, it is within a hour's drive of the French Quarter and Acadiana. Lafayette is a small cajun town that's grown into a suburban area with a surprisingly good night life (Cajuns usually live up to their notoriously friendly reputation).

NOLA and Baton Rouge especially have a lot of growth in the medical and film industries. Lafayette is deep into oil and financial services related to the oil industry.

I do, however, have several friends in the engineering industry that have been unemployed for over 5 months. My wife had a very difficult time finding a position fitting her background....but it all worked out.

Good luck to you. If you have any questions, we'd more more than happy to answer!

Welcome to Louisiana!
One thing that requires mention about the Lafayette area is that a few years ago, the medical industry here, when counting direct employment, surpassed local employment totals in the oil industry. Not sure of the exact year, but it was maybe 2007-8 when the big (and quite shocking) story aired.

If I recall, there were a reported 17,000 plus area residents directly employed in the medical field in Lafayette. Slight edge over the oil industry, but surprising, nonetheless.

Now in the year 2010 with a 200 million dollar hospital project taking shape, I'm sure those numbers will increase, if they haven't already.

Also worth mentioning is our own niche in the film industry here in Lafayette. Pixel Magic has taken up shop here with the sizable task of converting existing 2D movies into 3D. In fact, they are currently advertising job openings for an additional 100 local digital artists to convert all these older movies frame-by-frame. Very time consuming task.

Bullet Films (http://activeentertainment.com/index.php/bullet-films/ - broken link) has also opened here. Mostly aimed at the SyFy Channel, quite fun to see our local downtown digitally destroyed by a meteor, etc.

It wasn't just the Louisiana tax incentives that attracted these folks here, but the pure fiber bandwidth available. That, in itself, played a significant part.

And NOT to go unnoticed as Sacalait mentioned,
Quote:
the food here is like none other. Cajuns can cook.
Major understatement, IMHO.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:26 AM

177 posts, read 474,684 times
Thanks for the responses everyone! I've really been doing a hardcore job search for some jobs down there. I've been finding a lot, but nothing is jumping out at me at the moment. What I do now is emergency management (sheltering/feeding/other misc. services) for people affected by disasters. I'd love to get transferred to one of the Louisiana Red Cross chapters, but after Katrina, they moved the best of the best down there, and I'm still relatively new.

Do any of you know of the various parishes have local Emergency Management Agencies? It may be worthwhile looking into them...

Old 07-04-2010, 07:44 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,687,883 times
I see great things in the future due to the fiber system covering all of Lafayette. Wasnt aware of the film industry here though!
All over town things are being built at a fast pace, especially on Kaliste Saloom.
I just hope infrastructure can handle it.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Bullet Films has also opened here. Mostly aimed at the SyFy Channel, quite fun to see our local downtown digitally destroyed by a meteor, etc.
This is what I was referring to:

Active Entertainment » Site Archive » Quantum Apocalypse Trailer (http://activeentertainment.com/index.php/quantum-trailer/ - broken link)

At the 1:13 mark in the movie trailer, you're looking at major destruction along Vermilion St. with the Jefferson Tower (the one with the huge seven story Dafford mural) essentially in ruins.

Pretty cool, huh?

Some good CBD shots of New Orleans included...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana