U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 03:15 PM

211 posts, read 505,565 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I want to know the names of two neighborhoods that I loved that I spotted while driving around Lafayette.
1. I was on S College between Pinhook and Johnston, heading toward Johnston. It was a nice, leafy neighborhood. I guess that would make the neighborhood southwest of College. I can't remember which side of Bayou Pkway I was on. Any idea?
2. I was on Camillia on my way to River Ranch. As I crossed the river, I noticed the backs of some gorgeous homes that backed up to the river. Any idea?

Thanks,
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 08:07 PM

431 posts, read 970,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreadhead View Post
1. I was on S College between Pinhook and Johnston, heading toward Johnston. It was a nice, leafy neighborhood. I guess that would make the neighborhood southwest of College. I can't remember which side of Bayou Pkway I was on. Any idea?
If it was prior to reaching W. Bayou Parkway, it was probably Bendel Gardens, which when developed in the 1950's, was probably considered the nicest residential development to date in Lafayette. Still today, properties there are considered as prime. Simply a beautiful place.

If what you saw was after crossing the W. Bayou Parkway intersection, there are several smaller neighborhoods built later, but are desirable areas, as well. These are backed by a former University horse farm which offers some of the most beautiful open land in all of Lafayette. There's been a local fight to save the farm as a public park instead of opening it up for commercial or residential development. Not sure the current status of this fight, but hopefully, the land will remain as is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreadhead View Post
2. I was on Camillia on my way to River Ranch. As I crossed the river, I noticed the backs of some gorgeous homes that backed up to the river. Any idea?
If you were looking to your left at houses on the Johnston St. side of the river, I believe they are the rearward most section of the Whittington Oaks subdivision developed in the 1960's - early 70's. Those homes fronting the river would be located on Cambridge, Shelly and Thibodeaux Drives. Gorgeous area...

If you were looking to your right at homes on the River Ranch side of the river, that's part of the hyper-rich section of River Ranch. Quite a bit more around the river bend...

Old 07-08-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLFT View Post
If it was prior to reaching W. Bayou Parkway, it was probably Bendel Gardens, which when developed in the 1950's, was probably considered the nicest residential development to date in Lafayette. Still today, properties there are considered as prime. Simply a beautiful place.

If what you saw was after crossing the W. Bayou Parkway intersection, there are several smaller neighborhoods built later, but are desirable areas, as well. These are backed by a former University horse farm which offers some of the most beautiful open land in all of Lafayette. There's been a local fight to save the farm as a public park instead of opening it up for commercial or residential development. Not sure the current status of this fight, but hopefully, the land will remain as is!
It must've been after W Bayou Pkwy. I know Bendel Gardens. I used to have some family that lived in there.

[/quote]If you were looking to your left at houses on the Johnston St. side of the river, I believe they are the rearward most section of the Whittington Oaks subdivision developed in the 1960's - early 70's. Those homes fronting the river would be located on Cambridge, Shelly and Thibodeaux Drives. Gorgeous area...

If you were looking to your right at homes on the River Ranch side of the river, that's part of the hyper-rich section of River Ranch. Quite a bit more around the river bend...[/quote]

I was looking to the left. I should've clarified.

Thanks for the answers.
Scott

Old 07-09-2010, 07:50 AM

2,983 posts, read 2,657,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLFT View Post

We have a similar problem in my city, We have several areas where it's nothing but open land, and you know while I understand development has to happen, I'm worried that they will develop so much that it takes all of the open land and turns it into yuppietopia. I want to know whatever happened to making a neighborhood similar to the environment that it's in?

If you were looking to your left at houses on the Johnston St. side of the river, I believe they are the rearward most section of the Whittington Oaks subdivision developed in the 1960's - early 70's. Those homes fronting the river would be located on Cambridge, Shelly and Thibodeaux Drives. Gorgeous area...

If you were looking to your right at homes on the River Ranch side of the river, that's part of the hyper-rich section of River Ranch. Quite a bit more around the river bend...
So did the OP move out to lafayette? I remember him saying he wanted to teach in a french program out there.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
So did the OP move out to lafayette? I remember him saying he wanted to teach in a french program out there.
Hey, OP here. No, I haven't yet. The job I wanted in Lafayette didn't materialize, so I took another post in China. I'll be teaching in Beijing for the next two years. I'll get to Lafayette one day!!!

Scott

Last edited by houstonreadhead; 07-09-2010 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-09-2010, 11:25 PM

2,049 posts, read 4,711,445 times
One thing that great about Lafayette (And Baton Rouge as well) is an abundance of leafy neighborhoods. Both cities are absolutely inundated with trees, and it makes for a very inviting atmosphere. Youll find treed neighborhoods everywhere. One reason is because those are older subdivisions mostly unplagued by the soullessness of the suburbs. They feel like real neighborhoods in the traditional sense.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:07 AM

2,983 posts, read 2,657,387 times
Yeah, LC has a few of those such Oak Park, Deepwoods, and the historic district. Also there are some nice homes in the College Oaks area. The houses are exactly ritzy but well kept.

Anyway moving off of Louisiana, have you ever been to florida? Who knew that there were that many different shades of beige??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana