U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 08:26 PM

247 posts, read 1,018,042 times

Advertisements

I was in Opelousas, Ville Platte and Mamou a few days ago. Opelousas is the self proclaimed birthplace of Zydeco music. The other towns I mentioned also have been known for Zydeco and Cajun music. Much to my dismay I couldn't find any of either on the radio. Some people tell me that you can get it on public radio on the weekends, but hell, you can get it on public radio on the weekends all over the country, at least the south! On all the corporate owned private radio stations all you can get is the same crap you get every where else. Country, R&B, Hip Hop, stupid and hateful talk and maybe some Classic Rock or Oldies. To be fair I'll also tell you that I was in the Mississippi Delta recently and also couldn't find any Blues on the radio. What's up with this? I'd think that just one station in a place that's famous for a particular type of music could make it by playing this music all the time. Wouldn't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 08:53 PM

431 posts, read 970,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipLib View Post
I was in Opelousas, Ville Platte and Mamou a few days ago. Opelousas is the self proclaimed birthplace of Zydeco music. The other towns I mentioned also have been known for Zydeco and Cajun music. Much to my dismay I couldn't find any of either on the radio. Some people tell me that you can get it on public radio on the weekends, but hell, you can get it on public radio on the weekends all over the country, at least the south! On all the corporate owned private radio stations all you can get is the same crap you get every where else. Country, R&B, Hip Hop, stupid and hateful talk and maybe some Classic Rock or Oldies. To be fair I'll also tell you that I was in the Mississippi Delta recently and also couldn't find any Blues on the radio. What's up with this? I'd think that just one station in a place that's famous for a particular type of music could make it by playing this music all the time. Wouldn't you?
KRVS FM 88.7 in Lafayette is a great place for (at certain times) Zydeco, as well as many other eclectic mixes. It's the University-run station here in Lafayette, and if I recall, the signal is 100,000 watts. It's an affiliate of National Public Radio (NPR).

Here's the program lineup:

KRVS Program Guide

Don't miss the streaming option either!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:28 PM

431 posts, read 970,178 times
Quote:
Ah, my apologies. I just re-read your post and see what you're getting at. KRVS is great, and quite frankly addictive, but doesn't exactly address what you're looking for.

The following site looks to be from someone who has really put some time into your very question. And while it primarily addresses streaming, local station IDs are mentioned:

Cajun and Zydeco internet Radio stations from Louisiana - 24/7

Quote:
I'd think that just one station in a place that's famous for a particular type of music could make it by playing this music all the time. Wouldn't you?
An emphatic YES!

Last edited by JimLFT; 07-08-2010 at 09:48 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 11:12 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,184,346 times
101.1 kbon!!!!!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:16 AM

499 posts, read 1,981,645 times
I second kbon, you can even listen to that over internet.
Louisiana Radio Station - KBON 101.1 FM - Louisiana Proud - Variety Music with a Louisiana Flavor

Old 02-17-2012, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,486 times
Default Zydeco Workout feat. Lola Love

Quote:

There is an excellent Zydeco music program called the Zydeco Workout feat. Lola Love (the Zydeco Lady) on KPCP 88.3FM in New Roads, Louisiana (www.KPCP883.com). The Zydeco Workout plays every Saturday from 11am-2pm. You can hear traditional and contemporary Zydeco as well as Southern Soul and the Blues! Lola Love also does a monthly webcast on www.ZydecoOnline.com and www.ZydecoWorkout.com. This group is based out of Opelousas, but they have programing all over the country. The Zydeco Workout feat. Lola Love is by far one of the better Zydeco shows because she plays a wide variety of the music, not just the top Zydeco artist, and she has one sexy voice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana