Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:20 PM

10 posts, read 61,138 times

Advertisements

My partner and I would like to purchase a small horse farm outside of New Orleans.

Are people outside of New Orleans as liberal as they as in New Orleans?

Is it religious outside of New Orleans? Are there many baptists?

Any gays/lesbians that live in rural Louisiana? What is it like?

My partner is a horse trainer, so she would have to deal with the public.

We are really interested in Covington, but if there is anywhere that is more friendly, please let us know.

We are currently outside of Nashville and wish not to repeat the same mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 01:42 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,322 times
This isnt a witchhunt. People are going to generally leave you alone. This is a very conservative state but they are accepting of many kinds of people.
You will be fine.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:46 PM

194 posts, read 528,993 times
I would say that people are more religious outside of NO. There are many Catholics in south Louisiana, and more non-Catholic Christians in north Louisiana.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:20 PM

10 posts, read 61,138 times
Default Covington

Would Covington be considered South Louisiana? We don't mind Catholics! Baptists scare us.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:28 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,162 times
Unless you are one of those clowns that acts like a freak in the " gay pride " parades , how is anybody going to know your sexual orientation ?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:25 PM

295 posts, read 320,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargouile View Post
My partner and I would like to purchase a small horse farm outside of New Orleans.

Are people outside of New Orleans as liberal as they as in New Orleans?

Is it religious outside of New Orleans? Are there many baptists?

Any gays/lesbians that live in rural Louisiana? What is it like?

My partner is a horse trainer, so she would have to deal with the public.

We are really interested in Covington, but if there is anywhere that is more friendly, please let us know.

We are currently outside of Nashville and wish not to repeat the same mistake.

Astronomers are detecting thousands of exo-planets orbiting distant stars, I would be willing to give you and your partner directions? I would love to be the first to exit our star system but I was here before the ***** was born!

Does man or woman have meaning to you and your ???? ?? partner???

Old 07-31-2010, 07:31 PM

295 posts, read 320,431 times
That's a shame or should I say a shameful reply! How can any human on this planet accept GAY or Lesbian as being normal! I am not religious at all but I was not born a planet EARTH with all males and if that were the case we humans would have been extinct millions of years ago and this would not be discussion!!!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:30 PM

21 posts, read 90,609 times
Gargouile...Covington, is definitely SE LA, it's a suburb of New Orleans. That being said, religiously, close to the lake the majority would be Catholic, further north of the lake and closer to MS, particularly in the more rural areas, Baptists may outnumber the Catholics. The area may not be quite as liberal as those areas south of the lake (the Northshore in general tends to be composed of more family oriented communities), but I'm liberal and don't find it to be oppressively conservative (though I do save political discussions for friends who tend to be a bit more like minded). As far as gays living in rural SE Louisiana I'm certain there are a few scattered about and I doubt that you would encounter disapproval from the community. SE LA in general, has a very live and let live attitude towards things of this nature, but I will say that you and your partner may be somewhat of a novelty to people who are not accustomed to same-sex couples living near them. If you are set on being near the Covington area, you should definitely look into Abita Springs. A bit more character, a bit more liberal, and definitely more on the rural side than Covington. I'd also like to mention that despite posts #6-7 in this thread, if people in this area do not agree with your lifestyle they generally keep it to themselves.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:10 PM

4 posts, read 16,782 times
We have a long history of horse and horse training here in the Lafayette area. Plus as long as I've lived here (30 years) there has always been a large segment of gays and lesbians. We're south of the 10, so although there are a lot of catholics, there isn't the baptist influence that you get north of the 10. Some of the most revered bush tracks in the country came from around here, and the best jockeys to boot. Don't count us out since we're not near the crescent. 'Sides, it's only a couple hours to N.O. from here anyway.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofboards View Post
We have a long history of horse and horse training here in the Lafayette area. Plus as long as I've lived here (30 years) there has always been a large segment of gays and lesbians. We're south of the 10, so although there are a lot of catholics, there isn't the baptist influence that you get north of the 10. Some of the most revered bush tracks in the country came from around here, and the best jockeys to boot. Don't count us out since we're not near the crescent. 'Sides, it's only a couple hours to N.O. from here anyway.
Agreed. The "horse industry" has been big here for quite some time and still is. Disney recently filmed the soon to be released Secretariat here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana