Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,487 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are from Vicksburg, MS. We have three children ages 7, 3, and 15 months. My wife just accepted a job in Delhi/Tallulah. I would commute to Vicksburg. We've heard good things about the area of Delhi as far as school and property and are considering a move. May possibly build a new house....slim pickings with houses for sell with the sq ft we require. Cost of living may be less there with a slight gain in income.

What can you tell me of the Delhi area?
Property, taxes, community, cost of living in general, etc.

We were shown the area just north of town, a new development around the lake/golf course. Lots seem reasonable with new construction around $100 sq ft. Seems a little high for that area....Not sure?

Thanks,

Lavon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 10,998 times
HI, I live in Rayville, The next town over. I don't know much about the taxes and such, But I don't like the town. To me, it's "dumpy". Rayville is 15 miles west of there. It's a nicer town. A Super Wal-mart. A couple of Dollar stores. Just Small town, Friendly folks. lots of houses for sale. Lots of fast food and restrants. 2o mintues to Monroe,The Mall, and lots more.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:54 AM

13 posts, read 84,126 times
Default Not much in Delhi

I agree that Rayville would be a better option than Delhi. Overall Delhi is not a bad place, but there just isn't much there - a drive through safari park, is about all I can think of off hand. It is a bit on the dumpy side. Rayville has a bit more to offer.

On the uphand, the taxes are far more affordable than in Vicksburg (my husband and I actually were looking into a move there at one time). Our property taxes are fairly low - and you have homestead exemption up to 75,000 dollars off the valuation of your primary residence. So if you buy a house that is 100,000, for example, you only pay taxes on 25,000 value of your property. You'll probably also have a fire parcel fee that comes in once a year - at least we do in our area (other side of Monroe). Ours runs about $40 a year and is due in April. No specials taxes, and no HOA fees either. It's very affordable living. You'll like it in La. It's worth the commute.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,170 times
Default relocating to Delhi, LA

I retired to Delhi after a stressfilled 20 years in Silicon Valley, California. The Delhi Charter school is excellent.
We have a 3000 acre lake 6 miles from town for fishing and messing arund with boats, a new state park with marina, beach, lake cabins. I'm lovin it here. But what sold me was the new championship golf course "Black Bear". In its 2 year existance it has already hosted a pro golf tournament and attracted celebrities golfers such as Samuel L Jackson. I don't know how Rayville can compare to that.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 9,239 times
Default Reason to move to Delhi, Louisiana

HELLO TO ALL THOSE WONDERING ABOUT DELHI_I read an old version as to why not to choose Delhi and was mildly entertained to someone saying Rayville was better and Delhi was a dump. DUH' You have got to be kidding', the only major problem in Delhi is the tragic loss of revenue to the city and decline of old and new businesses due to corporate giants as Walmart , easy access to the interstate and the bad economy.
The beauty of this city should be judged by the overall appearance not just a minority of homes and areas. That is typical of all cities all over the united states.
That goes back to the way you were reared and your values on your self and your property whether poor or middle-class or rich.
The people in this town no matter the race are the most religious, friendly , caring people I have ever known.
I grew up here and my childhood and the environment provided have made me what I am today-honest, decent, ready to offer a hand to anyone in any situation.
The only reason most of us left was for job issues not because we wanted to leave Delhi or its people.
I even sent my children and grandchildren there every summer to show them a safe, happy and wonderful place to form memories to last a lifetime.
So if you have a chance to move there, go for it, as I am hoping to return soon because I miss the peaceful, happy ,friendly atmosphere.
At least there I want be a STRANGER, I know the town will embrace anyone who chooses to come there.
Sincerely, Mary Esther Hall Blue, El Paso, Texas

Old 10-21-2009, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,789 times
Default Don't do it

Anyone thinking of moving to Delhi, please think again. If you are a minority, stay where you are. While there is no open segragation here, its here big time. No jobs no housing, unless you can afford to live on the new lke subdivision. No many can. The schools, which were fine for everyone going up here, have been changed. Now we have the "new and improved" charter school. Did a town this small really need a new and seperate school. If charter school parents would have put in as much time and effort into the existing schools there would have been an unbeatable educational and athletic program here. Eventhough I grew up here, I urge everyone I can to STAY AWAY!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 9,239 times
To ETTABOSTON, Hello, racially there are more blacks than whites , you are wrong' The schools for all races are great, you can make your choice, you sound very stuckup, have you had a problem, racially? Makes me wonder as all races come together and there is more racial respect than in other states, you would not make it in Delhi with your attitude. Better off you are not there , I do not need your kind of negative ignorance.By the way charter schools are all over the United States, do your history and show more intellegence before you speak. Thanks for nothing

Old 07-02-2010, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,565 times
Delhi is a really small but, friendly and family oriented town. I grew up there and moved to San Diego, Ca. right after high school. Everytime I go home to visit I get so much gratification out of the southern hospitality how everyone, no matter who they are, are always so friendly. The only downfall in Delhi to me is the lack of population, which in turn results in the lack of jobs and new development. I think that if those things could come to the Delhi area it would become a hotspot for living. With the new lake and golf course it makes me think that Delhi will be, in the near future, a place to settle. In today's society people are searching for things to do and changes in the way things used to be and that's where Delhi is lacking. I would recommend moving there, especially if you have a job secured in that area. The place is stress and traffic free! I think that you and your family will enjoy it.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:53 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,229,455 times
If you can't admit that is a racist area of Louisiana you aren't being honest

Old 07-18-2010, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 7,565 times
Default Racism

Racism is prevalent not only in Delhi, but everywhere you go. The only way to find a place where racism is not present is to move to a place where people are not. I believe that racism will be around until the second coming of Christ. Prayerfully after the rapture of the church people remaining here on earth will put their differences aside and break not only the barriers of race but, everything that's not like Christ. I believe that the only reason racism may be so noticable to you in Delhi is because of the size of the town. Anywhere that boundaries are smaller, things are more noticable. It's like putting a glade plug-in air freshner in a small bathroom, or putting that same air freshner in a large cathedral. Which place do you believe that plug-in will impact freshness the most. I personnally don't have any problems with racism during my visits, although I must say that growing up there over 15 years ago was a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana