U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 05:53 AM

9 posts, read 15,239 times

Advertisements

My husband may accept a job based in Lafayette. How are the schools there? I know that LA is low in state rankings but I am more curious about how they are on a day to day basis. I also noticed that the grade breakdown is much different than here in FL. We have k-5, 6-8, 9-12 but I saw in Lafayette that you could be a 5th grader and be in middle school in some cases. I currently teach 8th graders and I surely wouldn't want a 10 year old around them. Can someone explain why it is done that way, how it works(seperate buildings,busing,etc) and do they rezone schools often? Some of the people that my husband may work with send their kids to private schools. Are there any private schools there that aren't religion based?

Also, how family friendly is the area? Anything else we should consider since we have a young child? I noticed someone in a previous post mentioned issues with mosquitos being really bad duirng certain times.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 10:30 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,184,346 times
In general, the public schools are Prek-5th for elementary, 6-8 for Middle School, and obviously the high schools are 9-12. Lafayette has one of the finest public school districts in the state. There are a few struggling schools in the downtown area, the northside, and in Carencro. I actually was a teacher at Carencro High School last year, which most people on the southside would label as a "rough" school, and I really enjoyed it. All the kids in honors there were getting a great education and were a joy to teach. The four schools I would avoid at all cost would be Alice Boucher, J.W. Faulk (elementary schools), N.P. Moss, Lafayette Middle (Middle School), and Northside High isn't too great. Other than that, I think they're all pretty good. If you still have doubts there are plenty of good, affordable Catholic schools as well.

Lafayette is extremely family friendly. Probably 2nd in the state to St. Tammany Parish. If you live in a newer neighborhood on the southside, or in most rural areas you won't experience any sort of crime. If you live in Florida I can't see the mosquitoes being any worse in Lafayette. Hope that clarified things for you.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:09 AM

2,049 posts, read 4,711,445 times
I went to Evangeline Elementary and Acadian Middle on the northside, and, honestly, I found these to be pretty decent schools overall. The teachers really enjoyed what they do and really made sure that students actually learned something. I think the reputation of northside schools as being horrible is vastly inflated.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:47 PM

Innotech I couldn't agree with you more about those schools. I subbed at Acadian and a good education could be gotten there no doubt. To be more exact, the "northside" area of Lafayette proper, between downtown/Congress and south of I-10 is pretty rough. Most of Acadian Middle and Carencro High's district is north of I-10, and that area is a more rural and family-oriented. N.P. Moss is a pretty stressful place to work, as well as attend school. But tough public schools in Lafayette Parish are very much the exception to the rule.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,569 times
Lafayette is definitely family friendly and as aab mentioned, Lafayette Parish has some of the best schools. When I moved here, I researched extensively for elementary schools and one of the best (and in my opinion THE best) elementary school is Woodvale. The zone for Woodvale is grouped with LJ Alleman Middle school, and the high school will most likely be Lafayette High. Here is a link that will show what school zone your street falls in (within Lafayette proper): [url]http://lpssonline.com/uploads/CopyofStrDir1011Mast72610.pdf[/url]

Now, I did not attend Northside High but I know a few teachers who taught there and have multiple friends that attended and graduated from there... and while it is located on the "northside" (or Upper Lafayette as they are trying to call it now) I have heard nothing but positive things concerning the faculty and the environment. I would have to agree that N.P. Moss is definitely a school you want to avoid (to teach and to have a child attend).

Now, I'm a single mom and absolutely love the area around the University (S. College, Congress, Pinhook, St. Mary, etc.). The scenery is beautiful and Girard Park is a 2 minute drive. Depending on where your husband will be working, you can look at other surrounding areas like Youngsville, Broussard, Carencro, or Scott. These 4 cities/towns are close enough to the action but you're not IN the hustle of Lafayette.

As far as the seperation of grades, I can't tell you why. I do know that in my son's school, each grade has their own hall (K hall, 1st grade hall, etc.) and 4th is the highest grade level. L.J. Alleman begins with 5th grade... and of course Lafayette High is 9th to 12th.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:49 PM

2,049 posts, read 4,711,445 times
I didnt go to northside High SChool, but from friends who did, their experience wasnt awful either. The school used to be really rough, but it has improved over the years and is now a decent place to go. If I were to recommend a high school in the area though, it would be Lafayette high. I had a lot of fun there and the teachers were excellent.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:58 PM

Northside isn't bad but it isn't great. I substituted there and sat in on a few classes as a student at UL. It definitely lags behind the other 4 public high schools, but the teachers are fabulous. Northside to me is a great place for a driven young person to recieve an education.. but there are a lot of outside pressures that less disciplined students may fall into. It's sad (and sort of racist/classist) to say, but you can spot N.P. Moss Middle graduates from a mile away. They come from a community usually lacking in all areas, and that is the primary feeder school for Northside. I didnt mean to knock NHS, they do make a lot of what they have been given. But the environment isn't quite as fostering as the other schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or