Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:53 AM

450 posts, read 2,055,680 times

Advertisements

Just an update on things at midlake/Pendleton Bridge. New Walmart looks good just north of Many. Not done yet but slated to be in October. It will have groceries and will look nice in a landscaped area. Don't know what they will do with the old Walmart site.

Sunset Point between Toledo Town and the Pendleton Bridge has about 3 homes in this new subdivision right off Texas Highway. The area is going to be for modular homes and is an option for those who can't afford the stick-built kind. Nice access to the lake and it looks like a little marina going in there.

Some really big homes appear to be selling--price reduced--but still not cheap. Toledo Town Bait, Liquor, and Gas station across from the motel is expanding--adding some more square footage. In this economy it is good to see a small business growing. They had just poured the cement foundation when I left on August 18.

Fair amount of boat traffic on the lake and very hot. Lake was holding at 167which is a foot below the desired 168 level. Gates closed at the dam. It has been dry.

Lots of gas leasing activity on the north end and now around Zwolle. Lots of shiny new pickup trucks in driveways up around Converse/Pleasant Grove and some new additions going on houses. Once again, bucking the general economic downturn.

I have a contractor who is going to build a sunporch. He has been booked pretty solid. I had a tree man cut some trees. He is busy too as is the electrical guy.

What we need is some closer medical. I think Many is the best bet for any expansion there. Down by Leesville they are excited about the expansion of Fort Polk--consolidation of military bases for budget reasons means closing some but expanding Polk.

Had a bad experience with a rental car but a good experience with local garage in Toledo Town and tire store in Many. Been visiting enough to have some things "happen" and then have to seek out local help.

Absolutely no one will sell you land including mineral rights--so forget that angle for the most part. Many people waiting for drilling activity to come further south closer to Many. Did not get over to Hemphill--but there is apparently some new development on the lake over there. Everyone raved about a new eatery in the feed store over there.

Just beautiful weather during my stay from August1-18. A bit hot, but had some nice breezes off the lake from the top of my bluff. Had grey fox, raccoons, running up and down my little "beach" and hiding in the rock protecting the bank. Lots of heron and egrets and vultures of course. A big golden hawk. Did not see any eagles. Did I go fishing?--nope. Too busy getting my construction projects underway and just shooting the breeze with folks and just sitting on my bluff looking at the water and great sunsets.

All for now. We need more people living out here to get some more amenities. Why not pay a visit sometime and look around. I'm sure you'll like it.

Kurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 06:58 AM

5 posts, read 20,075 times
Hi Kurt,

As always, thank you for the update of what is happening at Toledo Bend. I still have my lot at South Pointe near Shadows Landing and doing some landscaping work on it to control erosion and get ready to start building my house. I hope to break ground next year. There are several houses getting started in the construcion process in the subdivision, which is good to see.

Thanks again....keep in touch....and keep the updates coming.

God Bless,
Mark

Old 09-06-2010, 04:01 PM

Default Keep me posted on your construction.

Hi Mark. Good to hear from you. Let me know how your construction goes and what experiences you have. Hope to see you out there eventually. I guess I have to work a few more years with the present economic situation wreaking havoc with retirment savings. See ya.

Kurt.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:01 PM

21 posts, read 201,024 times
As someone who is interested in a second or retirement home on Toledo Bend, I have read all your posts on this forum. Thank you for taking the time to report! I am curious as to what is happening with erosion on the dam end of the lake. Can this not be controlled? Thanks,

Old 09-17-2010, 06:16 PM

Default Erosion on south end of the lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by circledmetalart View Post
As someone who is interested in a second or retirement home on Toledo Bend, I have read all your posts on this forum. Thank you for taking the time to report! I am curious as to what is happening with erosion on the dam end of the lake. Can this not be controlled? Thanks,
Hi, circledmetalart! One of the problems with the south end is that the lake is much deeper there and often drops off from the bank. That makes it harder to put in sea walls and the amount of rock to build a berm would be very expensive. You have some very broad water expanses from east to west and to the north that mean some really big waves whipped up by the wind. It is certainly beautiful down there. I think I have written about a place on the Texas side that had really serious erosion but there was not much you could do about it because the river channel itself hugged the bank and you can't put any rock or build seawalls right on the river bank and the current undercut the bank and added to the erosion. It received the brunt of all the big north winds in the winter as it was very close to the dam and looked up the lake for a good 30 miles! Imagine the waves that can be built up with an exposure like that. Anyways, good to hear from you. If you don't like erosion you can go to some of the interior sites with some very nice views even though they may be off the main lake. There are some very big arms of the lake down there--six mile--that would give good views and more protection. Keep in touch

Kurt.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:25 AM

21 posts, read 201,024 times
Thank you for the info, Kurt! I can now understand the erosion issue on the south end. I will keep it in mind.
I have researched lake property for the past couple years, looking for a place in TX,LA,OK,MS,AL,TN. Toledo Bend always draws me back. We are looking for a second home site, with retirement in mind for the future, that we will be able to park our motorhome for short stays. We want a decent view, not on canal or slough. We want our grandkids to be able to swim and fish from our shoreline. My husband is wanting a convenience store/cafe within a few miles. This is not an easy find, which is why we are still looking. We presently live in New Mexico and travel to Biloxi,MS, our hometown and where family lives, a couple times a year.
Anyways, thanks for your info and we will keep in touch.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:20 PM

Default Biloxi/Toledo Bend.

Maybe you know that I live in Pensacola. The hurricanes in 2004 and 2005 really convinced me to retire further inland. Biloxi gets more hurricanes than Pensacola and, of course, even in this depressed market you can't get waterfront without really paying too much--not to mention the wind insurance and the property taxes. Property taxes in Louisiana are very low. The swimming is pretty good from midlake to the south. Ironically, there are not many amenities on the south end of the lake. Most are around the Pendleton bridge. I have added you as a friend and would be happy to recommend a wonderful real estate firm to you on a more private forum as we are not supposed to do that on the general forum. You really have to come and visit the big lake and see for yourself. I understand the motel in Toledo Town has been renovated and is quite nice. I can also recommend some great rentals available from the real estate people I know that are right on the lake. I really hope to spend about 6 weeks on the lake this Summer. But I am still tied to the job in Pensacola until I feel I can retire. Yes, let's keep in touch.

Kurt.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:33 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

Sunset Point between Toledo Town and the Pendleton Bridge has about 3 homes in this new subdivision right off Texas Highway. The area is going to be for modular homes and is an option for those who can't afford the stick-built kind. Nice access to the lake and it looks like a little marina going in there.
I'd love to know what bank is doing the financing. I can't find anyone who will finance a manufactured home in Missouri.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-21-2010, 04:39 PM

Default Financing on modular homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I'd love to know what bank is doing the financing. I can't find anyone who will finance a manufactured home in Missouri.

20yrsinBranson
I believe Sabine State bank in Many might be involved in the financing. But these are "recreational" properties with value in the land lot being considered. I might add that they are very nice modular-type homes. So the "recreational" market might be different than the normal modular subdivision. I hear you have a very good airport now south of Branson. I may be flying up your way this Spring from Houston or Shreveport. God Bless.

Kurt.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
I believe Sabine State bank in Many might be involved in the financing. But these are "recreational" properties with value in the land lot being considered. I might add that they are very nice modular-type homes. So the "recreational" market might be different than the normal modular subdivision. I hear you have a very good airport now south of Branson. I may be flying up your way this Spring from Houston or Shreveport. God Bless.

Kurt.
Haven't heard if the airport is good or bad, but it's there and people are sure using it!

Come on down and visit a spell.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana