U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:11 PM

2,799 posts, read 6,893,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Maybe if you got out of the swamps of Louisiana and came to Georgia and saw how much better life could be (like so many thousands of people misplaced by Katrina did) you'd understand ... Louisiana is a cesspool. New Orleans is a dump. Period.
Is this another advertisement from the state of Georgia saying we should all move there? Why would it be any better? Sounds like Georgia has enough influx of people already. Georgia doesn't neeed any Louisianians moving there nor do Louisianians need to move to Georgia. Its ok for a vacation believe me, but I wouldn't want to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 02:14 PM

245 posts, read 413,811 times
Quote:
No, I've seen New Orleans -- the good AND the bad, and the BEST parts of NOLA are a ghetto to most other cities.

This does nothing to explain WHERE the money to fund such an outrageous budget comes from, or where the money goes? To this day, nobody can answer what happened to the billions of dollars in federal funds that were supposed to go into maintaining the flood control mechanisms in the first place, and you (as a typical Louisiana) just dismiss it as the way things have always been ... Why should the rest of the U.S. continue to pump BILLIONS of dollars into the hands of the MOST CORRUPT STATE in the country?!

What DO you have?! What are you getting for $26 billion a year?! Nobody has answered that question yet ... your roads are the worst in the country, your schools are the worst in the country ... ?!

Whoa, hold up there Hero. I don't necessarily disagree with some of your points. However, you need to get back to citing sources and refrain from using unsubstantiated assertions to support your 'position'.

First, you've cited nothing to support your assertion that we have the worst roads or worst schools in the country. Nothing. Perceptions are not the same thing as facts.

I'd go so far as to say that you'd have to do some extremely selective 'statistic mining' to single out Louisiana as worst in the country in either of those categories. Are we bad? Maybe, but to single us out as the worst? Hardly. Thus, substanitate your accusations and steer clear of the ad hominem tone you seem to be developing.

Next, how about you define your concern a little more clearly? At first you seemed to be asking how we could have a budget so much larger with a smaller population. At this point though, I'd say; mind your own damn business. The only dog you have in that hunt as a resident of Georgia is how much of your money is being sent to LA via federal budgetary supplements.

On that note, I'll jump over to your side for a momenet and ask the question you should be asking (the one you actually have business getting into an upraor about). "How much of my GA resident money is going to LA residents?" ... Good question Newsboy!

The information is quite easy to access. The first numbers that I can recall from a quick google search is summed up as follows:

In 2005 GA received $1.01 of federal money back for every $1.00 contributed. Hmmm, it seems to me that you're getting back at least what you put in.

Did Louisiana get more? Yes. Is that a problem? Maybe. Does LA have problems? Yes. Should you, as GA resident, be complaining that your money is being sent to us? Absolutely not.

Maybe you should think a little harder about why you're posting. Have a nice evening, or something like that.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:29 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,053,709 times
I've lived in Georgia...its ok but at the same time...New Orleans has far more character, nicer people, better urban landscape than Atlanta could ever hope for.

Savannah is nice but its dead at 10PM at night

However I dont feel the need to go bash other state forums and trash somewhere else.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:09 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,383,993 times
Quote:
Maybe if you got out of the swamps of Louisiana and came to Georgia and saw how much better life could be (like so many thousands of people misplaced by Katrina did) you'd understand ... Louisiana is a cesspool. New Orleans is a dump. Period.

Was your original post about our State budget, or was it a lead up to bashing our State?

Because this post sure looks like you're bashing us and making a complete ass of yourself.

busta

Old 09-13-2010, 04:52 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,352,508 times
That's exactly what it is Busta.
1. He comes in bearing the news that LA has a high budget as if we didn't know.
2. When people don't get alarmed, duh we already know, he goes in to generalizations and insults. (A link to the 2009-2011 budget was even provided).
3. When called on it and the fact the GA isn't so great as he wants to think he goes with the Welfare State angle. (Problem is, he doesn't know Welfare State from Welfare Society).

If you post on any of the main C-D forums, this is a common issue with many posters from GA. They constantly boost up Georgia then belittle other states when the posters from the "major" states constantly put them in their place. Childish, you ask me.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:53 PM

13,699 posts, read 17,856,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orestes View Post
Did Louisiana get more? Yes. Is that a problem? Maybe. Does LA have problems? Yes. Should you, as GA resident, be complaining that your money is being sent to us? Absolutely not.
WHY should the rest of the country (not just somebody from Georgia) be complaining about the excessive amount of OUR money being sent to maintain your bankrupt state!? That's OUR money ... NOT YOURS!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:46 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,053,709 times
I'm sorry you aren't familiar with the concept of being an American or living in America.

However there is an alternative...that Louisiana exists as a separate nation and we take our ports, our tariffs, our control of the Mississippi River, our mineral rights including offshore, our seafood...and we put the screws to the rest of the country.

God, you really don't have a clue.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:42 AM

13,699 posts, read 17,856,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I'm sorry you aren't familiar with the concept of being an American or living in America.

However there is an alternative...that Louisiana exists as a separate nation and we take our ports, our tariffs, our control of the Mississippi River, our mineral rights including offshore, our seafood...and we put the screws to the rest of the country.

God, you really don't have a clue.
No, sir ... YOU are the one that doesn't have a clue. You have an ENTITLEMENT mentality that the rest of the country OWES your state something. And why? Because of your resources? If your resources were so RICH and VALUABLE they would pay their own way, they would not have to be SUBSIDIZED by the federal government.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:46 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,352,508 times
Quote:
If your resources were so RICH and VALUABLE they would pay their own way, they would not have to be SUBSIDIZED by the federal government.
Seriously do your research. Louisiana produces around 20-25% of the nations natural gas and 30% of it's oil except unlike other resource producing states we don't even get 10% of the revenue back from the federal govt. Add that into your welfare statics. Our wetlands were sacrificed and a large portion of our state is wasting away so that cities like Atlanta and other sunbelt cities could sprawl out of control. What do you think coke bottles are made from? Where do you think that asphalt that lines Atlanta freeways and the fuel driving the trucks pouring it come from? What do you think keeps Delta's planes in the sky? What state do you think brings the most ocean borne cargo into this country? How do you think the midwest get's supplied with most of it's needs. Could all of this be done without Louisiana? Yes, but it would be much more expensive.

We have the largest concentration of crude oil refineries, natural gas processing plants and petrochemical production facilities in the Western Hemisphere. One of the largest varieties in agriculture produce. Highest oyster production, plus 25% of all seafood in the country. Hell, we even make half of the matches and furs produced in the country. Not only do we export 40% of grain exports from the country, but you know the Apollo rocket? The one that put supposedly put men on the moon. We built that. And those little rocket boosters that send the space shuttle into orbit. Made in New Orleans buddy.

We have most resources, but nothing to show for them because we were stupid enough to let the rest of America get their hands on what wasn't stolen for practically nothing. Still that doesn't make us entitled, because we were in part stupid enough to let it happen. Perhaps, had we kept everything to ourselves, we'd be much better off.

I started not to add anymore to this thread, but before I go allow me to remind you of something. Everything must fall one day and when that unsustainable abomination that you all have created in those pines falls (and it will one day), GA will fall much harder than LA has in it's 300+ year history. Hopefully, Louisiana has reached the bottom and can only move upward; but if push comes to shove all of our eggs aren't in one basket. Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Thibodaux, and Houma can somewhat pick up the slack economically if New Orleans has to go since the infrastructure is loosely in place. Louisiana will loose some history and tourism; but petrochemical, medical, and technology won't have that hard of a time adjusting. Let's say that Georgia loses Atlanta... #dead

Old 09-14-2010, 06:45 AM

245 posts, read 413,811 times
Quote:
WHY should the rest of the country (not just somebody from Georgia) be complaining about the excessive amount of OUR money being sent to maintain your bankrupt state!? That's OUR money ... NOT YOURS!

OUR money? Really? You need some help with the math? Go look up the facts (i'd link to them, but they are painfully easy to google on your own - see Tax Foundation). In the most recent year that information was available, GA residents got back more than they paid in! If GA got back more than GA paid in, how could any overage LA received be GA money?!?!?!

Look, that's elementary logic and reasoning. A person needn't ever crack open a math textbook to understand that. Getting more than you put in speaks for itself.

As for why LA should receive more than it paid in... it's been discussed fairly thoroughly above. LA is a resource and gateway state. LA is the Kitchen of the country. If you're ever so fortunate to spend money on your home, you'll understand the difference between renovating a bedroom vs the kitchen. It sounds as though you're content living in a closet or back bedroom. That's fine. However, the rest of the country seems to have been developing a better understanding of the role LA plays in this country. The rest of the country has been cooking on our stoves, keeping thier groceries in our fridge, cutting meat on our counters and tracking in mud through our patio door for a loooooong time. Now the kitchen's looking a bit dated and you'd like to blame the chef? Get real, our roomates are getting to share in the expenses of fixing the place back up, we aren't the only ones that left the table with a full belly.

You really should do better research. LA actually has only enjoyed a reasonable input of federal dollars for a relatively short period of time. We've only been in the top ten a few times in the past twenty years. Outside that, we've been lucky to be in the top twenty states. Look back past that and you'll see the real history here. LA was ranked on par with states like GA for decades upon decades.

The real difference between LA and GA? LA has put a hell of a lot more equity into this country than GA. We've paid more than a fair share for this country's growth with our damaged wetlands, overused waterways, abused roads, etc. (ad nauseum). It's about time we receive some investment back into our state to maintain and repair what was used for this country, not just this state.

I know, GA is essential to this country's economy and infrastructure. So, to be fair, thanks for the peaches! And don't forget to wipe your feet before you come in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana