U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:05 PM

91 posts, read 215,941 times

Advertisements

thanks i got the info off the net about fireants and cub soda. just shows you can not believe every thing you read on the net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 07:32 PM

4,423 posts, read 5,178,033 times
Fire ants are EVERYWHERE here. I've been stung a few times.

It isn't too bad pain-wise. It's the incessant ITCHING afterward that sucks.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:49 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,933,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Isn't that the same reason bed bugs have made a big comeback?
Probably so. DDT was good stuff for ridding us of the undesirable insect population. Only trouble was it was too dangerous for everything else

Old 09-10-2010, 11:00 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,390,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Fire ants don't bite, they sting just wasp.

busta
Actually they do. I'm allergic to the stings, but not the bites because the bites don't release any venom. They just use it to get a grip, but you still feel it none the less.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:14 PM

14,089 posts, read 24,376,722 times
Some of the best stuff are slow acting. The best is the ant bait you spread across the yard. The ants eat the stuff and eventually the entire nest is dead including the queen. There are some other products that kill and repell the ants. They work to a degree depending on the amount of rainfall. Fire ants are very dangerous during floods. The ants float on top of the water in a big ball that includes the queen and young. If the ball bumps into anything above the water, they'll climb it. They'll climb a tree, a wall or even someone's leg. If you thrash when you realize they've climbed your leg, they'll all bite. If you're allergic, you can have a severe reaction with that many bites. Their bite is somewhat painful and leaves behind a tiny blister the next day. I use hydrocortisone cream to help with the itch and pop the blister when it comes up. My wife has reactions to fire ant bites so I fight the ants for roughly 6 months a year.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:29 PM

14,076 posts, read 18,285,983 times
Most of the poison's sold to kill fire ants actually don't work, at least not in the short term. Amdro, for instance, will kill the mound IF it accidently gets to the queen. It will kill some worker ants, and reduce the size of the colony, but all it mostly does is make the survivors move the mound.

Well, not actually a "mound," but the portal to the main, underground nest. If you treat a mound with some kind of poison, it'll appear abandoned and dead the next morning but, if you look around, you'll find a new one a few feet away. Continue to pursue them, from mound to mound, for several days and you'll eventually kill the whole colony.

Don't let them bank up against the house or they'll get inside. Patrol the edges of your foundation, or underneath the house if it's pier and beam, on a regular basis and chase them away. All you have to do is disturb the mound and they'll move it, overnight. A pot of boiling hot water works wonders on them.

But...fireants are your friends so long as they're not inside. If you have an active colony in your yard, you won't have fleas and ticks or most other kinds of ants. Fire ants will eat just about any creature they find, so in the long run, they're good for you.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:24 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,004,015 times
I've seen clumps of fire ants floating in floodwaters. Fire ants aren't going anywhere soon. The south is infested.

Fire ants are like roaches. They'll be here after we are gone. Heck, they'll munch on us.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:53 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,084,787 times
Talstar worked well for me, but it is expensive, and does not last 6 months as advertised.

I don't want them in my yard because I have dogs that enjoy being outside a few hours a day.

Stillkit is right about them being helpful though. I killed a nest of copperheads a few years back and the fire ants had completely consumed them in less than 2 days. Too bad they don't attack live venomous snakes.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:53 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,390,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
I've seen clumps of fire ants floating in floodwaters. Fire ants aren't going anywhere soon. The south is infested.

Fire ants are like roaches. They'll be here after we are gone. Heck, they'll munch on us.
Exactly. When ever it floods around here you see balls of ants floating around. The only thing worse than stepping in a fire ant bed is having a clump of wet fire ants bump into you and cling on.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:33 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,442,173 times
Fire ants sting me like he!!, to heck with the yard I pour gas on them and lite em up, especialy if I've been stung bad enough, usualy when I'm weed eating and I blow em all over my legs before I realize what I've done, talk about rough, be carefull with the leaf blower when cleaning up, I've been stung like that also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana