Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 09:15 PM

108 posts, read 348,575 times

Advertisements

Anyone out ther from the area what is Calhoun progressing towards these days ? I remember when it used to be a whole rural farming community with only little more than a truckstop. What is there now ? Is it a good place for raising family?Blu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 12:10 PM

17 posts, read 216,731 times
I know Calhoun like the back of my hand. It is still rural of course, but West Monroe, Monroe is just down the road. I personally really think it is great.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:01 PM

Default Calhoun still rural?

Why Pit crew are you from Calhoun or just there alot? When I was young I kept my horses in /near Calhoun . Havent been out there in 20 years and its good to hear something about Calhoun. Thanks for the comeback! Blu
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit_crew View Post
I know Calhoun like the back of my hand. It is still rural of course, but West Monroe, Monroe is just down the road. I personally really think it is great.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:01 PM

7 posts, read 31,030 times
Calhoun is becoming more developed. It has a bunch of new subdivisions and is slowly getting more fast food and shopping places (like dollar stores and gas station that double as mini grocery stores). But the drug problem in Monroe and West Monroe seems to be spreading into the area. You have to be careful moving there now but it's still better than moving into the cities, for both financial and safety reason.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:32 PM

Default Tell me more pls

You are quite kind for telling me about the Calhoun area I really miss the home people but I left for the military and that was soo many years ago then.Oh I sure hate to hear how bad the drugs are . Tell me are drugs as bad with all age groups or is it mainly younger 20's? I would love to hear just that people are getting off drugs and going fishing or something ,wouldn't you? Thank you very much.....Blu
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpkin_pumpin View Post
Calhoun is becoming more developed. It has a bunch of new subdivisions and is slowly getting more fast food and shopping places (like dollar stores and gas station that double as mini grocery stores). But the drug problem in Monroe and West Monroe seems to be spreading into the area. You have to be careful moving there now but it's still better than moving into the cities, for both financial and safety reason.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,786 times
hey blu banks, i am from calhoun louisiana left 2 years ago for the military it is still nice wonderfull area drugs have always been a problem there just no one knew about it butt now days younger and younger kids truying it out seems to be going on everywhere. Any way it is cool to hear someone else from calhoun left for military also. wess

Old 05-18-2008, 12:31 PM

420 posts, read 479,062 times
As the ambassador of Monroe, I can tell u about Calhoun. Just like all of Quachita Parish, Calhoun has that treasurish vibe where u have u really dig deep to find the goodies, in Calhoun's case u literally have to do just that. The scenery there is so beautiful with all the hills and trees, gardens, and fields full crops everywhere. The amazing thing is once u think it's all woods and scenery, beautiful homes, subdivisions and neighborhoods pop up right in the middle of no where. I think that's what people love about Calhoun, it the best place in the parish that presents that all-to-yourself country vibe and it truly is a great to live outside a busy area. Some secrets about Calhoun is theres a hidden amusement park and place to buy gator meat. Claibourne is a small area between Calhoun and West Monroe that seems to be growing very fast with all the restuarants, banks, and small stores, and even nice, nice, apartments and homes(The apartment and homes are trulet amazing I wanna move over there!!!). I was so impressed with the area of Claibourne, it grew outta nowhere and trust me when I say it is very nice. The drug problem isn't that bad in those areas at all, this area is just not used to hardly any drug problem, still, just be glad its not as bad as the southside of Monroe or Shreveport. that's the greatest thing about Monroe area, the crime in this area can be easily avoided.

Last edited by Louisiana'sLegend2; 05-18-2008 at 12:47 PM..

Old 05-26-2008, 05:53 AM

17 posts, read 216,731 times
Everything the above posters said is right on the money. Great area. I have lived in West Monroe since 1973 (i was a kid) and came from Bonita, LOL, so I think it was a step up. LOL

Old 05-29-2008, 02:21 PM

4 posts, read 10,649 times
Default Calhoun is beautiful!

Calhoun has suddenly become very, very appealing and expensive. The oil and gas boom that Shreveport is enjoying has moved East and is now going on in Calhoun. Thus, property values have gone up, and the affluent are buying large tracts of land and building beautiful homes. A lot of the movie stars that are filming in nearby Shreveport have scoped out Calhoun and evidently are smitten by the startling beauty in that region. Calhoun actually has four seasons that rival the colors in New England. There are streams, lakes, ponds, sweeping verdant hills, horses and unblemished scenery. Just beautiful.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:56 PM

Default In reply Calhoun

Hey I really wanna Thank all you who contributed to the conversation about Calhoun you guys have been way cool for tellling me more about the home area actually Im not from Calhoun but I kept my horses out there for a few years . some of my best memeories are out there and its great to hear from folks with some good things to say about Home .. THANKS SO MUCH. Although Id never trade my military time for anything it causes you to give up alot too. And thanks brother to you who are just going in ..I thank you for your service in advance...oorah.semper fi.Blu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana