U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 11:42 AM

430 posts, read 334,758 times

Advertisements

Consider this a specific debate of Baton Rouge and Shreveport since yall liked the the general debate of the two. Those are the obvious debates but I know Lafayette is arguable...... so is Bossier City.....what about historic Natchitoches..... Lake Charles anyone......umm Monroe??(biased shot, from hometown hero). Let it begin!!!!!

Quick Shot: Baton Rouge getting old, Shreveport Looks more exciting and modern!!! take that you suburban N.O. town aka Baton Rouge. lol... you ol' evacuation shelter of a city. Since when is it prideful to be called a college town. I cant comfortably have fun in a downtown knowing the state capitol is down the street. BOOOO!!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 02:13 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,806,174 times
Troll !!!

Old 09-18-2010, 02:20 PM

182 posts, read 441,230 times
Well, Lake Charles is opening its Lakefront Promenade today, which they hope will spur some downtown renewal. But the truth is that a nice downtown LC will only become a reality if the landowners want it to.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:21 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,153,476 times
Lafayette has a really nice downtown. It's finally reaching its zenith; it was all offices back in the day and around the oil bust it was really crumbling, but now it is full of bars and restaurants. But I am from New Orleans originally, and to call any place a true "downtown" outside of B.R., N.O. and Shreveport seems a little silly, I mean those are the only places with real population.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:38 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,688,890 times
Lafayette downtown is starting to become pretty interesting but the population just isnt there yet to make it a truly exciting place to be outside of festivals (when the downtown area is truly alive). I wasnt too impressed with Baton Rouge downtown when I lived there or when I visit there now but Shreveport seems to have some interesting things downtown when I visited.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:09 AM

430 posts, read 334,758 times
Ok, Lets put the focus on Lafayette, because due this site and all the hoopla from the thread, "Lafayette was a dump" I went there almost exactly a yr ago. It was actually November 1, 2009.....day after halloween. First place I checked out was downtown.

The Good:
Since I went the morning after Halloween, I saw evidence that there definitely was a wild, wild party!!! So I thought to myself this downtown rocks during fest and holidays. The street was Jefferson I think, and its built up for everything culture, parties, art, bars, club, atms, food, It was amazing even on a daily basis. I'm an artist also, so I was so in awe and jealous of this place. I mean galleries everywhere and plus a Sir Speedy right here!!!!!! I had a delicious pastry from this nice bakery....but I forgot the name. Most interesting thing downtown to me was, this old church and this amazing old tree, I have maybe a hundred pictures, but it was Sunday so I had to leave.....especially since I was in that grave yard!!! lol

The Bad:
Outside of Jefferson Street..............the downtown I guess, turns to a......pretty piece of wallpaper.
Ok first thing I notice was....there arent any tall buildings. I love skylines....but....hard to say Lafayette has one. I like to have this one spot in a downtown where Im dead in the middle of it all, like Hug me Lafayette, I feel your grace, have no mercy!!! , but......openess...just the hot sun in my face. Im from Monroe....and I know, I know I compare alot....but if we have anything on this vibrant fun downtown, its the presence of business and taller buildings. We even have a park, small but its dead smack in the middle of downtown like "Here I am Monroe, for all your worth, have me baby lol. I can at least get a skyline out of Monroe.

The Conclusion:
I always had this preception of Lafayette back from when I was a small fry trying to learn french, back when I considered college there, and from my last visit......Lafayette is a cultural, southern Louisiana preserved city. Yes it has grown, but it still has the perfect epitome of what outsiders consider a southern Louisiana town.....doesnt have a city feel honestly. Everything new here still revolves around that culture. the downtown reminds of a futuristic version of the of old downtowns where one street has markets and services.

The lack of moderness and 21 century makes me feel like this town only wants to maintains its historic and museum feel , which makes its a great tourist spot. If you want Louisiana culture only and fun, go to Lafayette downtown.............but dont expect to find a high rise office overlooking....the blue dog days of jeffeson street - LL

Old 09-19-2010, 10:10 PM

Lafayette is a story of two parts. One is fighting to maintain the tradition downtown, the other is the rapidly growing "new" downtown of River Ranch. Both are great places to walk around and shop but I prefer the real downtown. Its pretty much a growing city that retains small town feel.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:55 PM

431 posts, read 965,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
Ok, Lets put the focus on Lafayette...
Okay, lets.

During the big growth cycles Lafayette experienced over the last thirty years, downtown was left out of the fun. All of the development took place well outside the CBD in campus-style and/or mid-rise construction. Mostly in the five to nine story variety. But, we are talking millions of class-A square footage nowhere near downtown.

Quote:
I know I compare alot....but if we have anything on this vibrant fun downtown, its the presence of business and taller buildings.
Just checking, but what is Monroe's tallest building? Lafayette's tallest is 15 floors in the Chase Tower downtown. The other 15 floor building is the Hilton well outside of the CBD.

Quote:
I always had this preception of Lafayette back from when I was a small fry trying to learn french, back when I considered college there, and from my last visit......Lafayette is a cultural, southern Louisiana preserved city. Yes it has grown, but it still has the perfect epitome of what outsiders consider a southern Louisiana town.....doesnt have a city feel honestly. Everything new here still revolves around that culture. the downtown reminds of a futuristic version of the of old downtowns where one street has markets and services.

The lack of moderness and 21 century makes me feel like this town only wants to maintains its historic and museum feel , which makes its a great tourist spot. If you want Louisiana culture only and fun, go to Lafayette downtown.............but dont expect to find a high rise office overlooking....the blue dog days of jeffeson street - LL
Are you done? If so, just consider that Lafayette is no Aspen, CO with a single industry. Lafayette is a high-tech pioneer, and the equivalent to Saudi Arabia in natural gas exploration. Lafayette is the cultural hub of anything Cajun. Lafayette is the home of a medical industry that exceeds Shreveport's, as well as the local oil industry in terms of direct employment.

Lafayette is not pretending to be anything it isn't. It just is what it is.

But please do not reduce Lafayette to merely a "cultural, southern Louisiana preserved city". The goings on in Lafayette happens to mean quite a bit more.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:34 AM

Lafayette is working very hard to introduce and cultivate new industries to fall back on when the oil booms have a downturn. I think they are succeeding in that. The medical field here is definitely improving, especially with that massive complex being built. The high tech sector is improving as well, with several call centers and the Light center and a budding computer science/tech program at ULL. All in all the city is definitely making strides in a progressive direction, despite the failure of infrastructure to keep up with it.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:26 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,153,476 times
Lafayette probably is the only economically progressive city in this state. That being said, it's still pretty small. But its population is only going to grow compared to the stagnation that dominates our state's urban centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana