U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-29-2010, 05:41 AM
 
Location: Monroe!
430 posts, read 339,636 times
Reputation: 216

Advertisements

i went and checked out all the maps. Im really starting to think these maps are exaggerated. It wouldnt have ever thought Houston and Dallas would be more integrated than alot of places.

If these are accurate though, Innotech is right, how can most cities up north be seriously racist or predjudice when the population is mostly white. In fact, the south is more integrated than the north anyway according to these maps.

This also confirms something I been pondering on when it comes to why downtowns been dying across the nation. If you look at every single map, each and every one map shows that whites dominate when it comes to suburban life, but most of the blacks and hispanics live in the inner city. Detroit is a prime example, we all know that Detroit had a high poverty rate and a poor trashy downtown even before the recession. But funny how the dead center of the city is completely black, no whites whatsoever!!! Every single city was this way!!!! If you wanted to see where the blacks are just look in the dead center, where earlier life of the cities' started.

Wow....wow......wow.

Though I still think these are exaggerated a bit....but....Its still accurate enough to say America still has its own individual, quiet, masterful, Civil Was in most cities across the nation.

Melting pot eh? You can say same stove top, but definetly not in the same pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2010, 01:35 PM
 
Location: City of Central
1,845 posts, read 3,828,928 times
Reputation: 949
That melting pot business is a joke . There are people who profit from racial polarization . They preach it , and in a lot of cases , are the very reason for it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2010, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Burnsville, Minnesota
2,698 posts, read 2,172,176 times
Reputation: 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
kind of puts into perspective how ignorant northerners have to be about issues of race or segregation. They live in a really white world. I thought it was more diverse than that.
Your tone is a little offensive. Also, from my point of view, you seem to think of the Northern United States as a bad place just because of its racial demographics.

Different places are going to have different racial compositions. Accept that.

There is nothing wrong with a region of the United States being primarily populated by people of European descent. Europeans and people of European descent are a worldwide minority. They don't make up even 20% of the human population. Let them be a majority somewhere other than Europe.

The word diverse can be so annoying. People use the word as if it solely applies to racially and ethnically diverse places. It also acts as a code word for less white people.
News flash: White people as a race alone are diverse in ethnicity, culture, and language. Don't believe me? Take trips to various countries in Europe. That is, if you have the money to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2010, 10:56 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,390,578 times
Reputation: 1418
What I hate is about this diversity argument is how people claim they want to be in a city that is so diverse, but they don't really want diversity. Their ideas of diversity is, "I want different kind of people in my area so that I can eat and buy things that I wouldn't be able to if they weren't here, but I don't want anything to do with the actual people" when it should be "I want to be around people of the different interests/cultures so that I can learn more about the world I live in and open my mind a little more."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,178,073 times
Reputation: 655
I don't really care to force integration right now. I CHOSE to live around other white people because more than 80% of violent crime that happens in my town is committed by blacks in "black" neighborhoods, even though they only make up 50% of the population. If my street became a black street, would I move? Maybe. It would depend on the caliber of the people.

But would I move to an area that was black before I got there? No.

Is it because of my ignant racist ways? No.

Is it because I was able to take documented facts and statistics and use them to make my decision? Yes.

Statistics lead me to believe that my life and that of my family is safer living amongst my white brethren than it would be living amongst my black brethren.

Does that mean anyone is safe? No. Just this week a single mother was murdered and her daughter shot multiple times in a 50/50 white/black neighborhood that I had percieved as safe. It was a home invasion and apparently two black thugs weren't capable of stealing this woman's flatscreen television without taking her life and attempting to take the life of her daughter. I was very sad to learn of this incident. I had begun to think that maybe it was possible for an integrated neighborhood like that one to actually be safe for helpless people like her and her 9 year old daughter.

Have I been forced to examine my opinion of that neighborhood (Beauregard Town, for those of you who would like to google the incident)? Yes, I have.

Have I lost hope for SAFE integration in Baton Rouge? No. We will have to wait and see what else happens.

This is my .02 regarding neighborhood integration in my city. Hope I didn't go too far off-topic. I'm bad about that lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2010, 05:25 AM
 
Location: City of Central
1,845 posts, read 3,828,928 times
Reputation: 949
Well said , sir . The truth is offensive to some people . It's still the truth though .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2010, 10:28 AM
 
53,137 posts, read 48,402,084 times
Reputation: 16545
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
I don't really care to force integration right now. I CHOSE to live around other white people because more than 80% of violent crime that happens in my town is committed by blacks in "black" neighborhoods, even though they only make up 50% of the population. If my street became a black street, would I move? Maybe. It would depend on the caliber of the people.

But would I move to an area that was black before I got there? No.

Is it because of my ignant racist ways? No.

Is it because I was able to take documented facts and statistics and use them to make my decision? Yes.

Statistics lead me to believe that my life and that of my family is safer living amongst my white brethren than it would be living amongst my black brethren.

Does that mean anyone is safe? No. Just this week a single mother was murdered and her daughter shot multiple times in a 50/50 white/black neighborhood that I had percieved as safe. It was a home invasion and apparently two black thugs weren't capable of stealing this woman's flatscreen television without taking her life and attempting to take the life of her daughter. I was very sad to learn of this incident. I had begun to think that maybe it was possible for an integrated neighborhood like that one to actually be safe for helpless people like her and her 9 year old daughter.

Have I been forced to examine my opinion of that neighborhood (Beauregard Town, for those of you who would like to google the incident)? Yes, I have.

Have I lost hope for SAFE integration in Baton Rouge? No. We will have to wait and see what else happens.

This is my .02 regarding neighborhood integration in my city. Hope I didn't go too far off-topic. I'm bad about that lately.
From my own personal experience, I have learned that just because a place is predominantly White doesn't mean that my safety will be guaranteed.

My father moved his family to the metro Atlanta area(Marietta specifically) for his job. Being the 10 year-old Black kid that I was, one of the things I liked about Marietta was the diversity of the place. I also felt more welcomed there. My father had concerns about the crime, particularly on the street we lived on. After 18 months, we moved 45 minutes away to Paulding County. He moved out there to get a nice house for relatively cheap, and a quieter place to live. We knew nothing about the place. Around the time it was 95% white. One might think it would be safer. Well, for me it wasn't much safer. In fact, a few months after I moved out there, some kid who lived in my subdivision shot me with a paintball gun, and thought it would be for kicks. And no, he was not Black. He was White. My house was also subjected to being egged on Halloween, and then the mailbox was destroyed. I was also jumped a few times, by Black kids and White kids. In the 9th grade, a few White kids decided to jump me and punch on me as soon as the teacher left the classroom. Because there were no witnesses, they got away with it. A few times I was subjected to racial intimidation. In my high school, there were a few fights that were related to race. One of the biggest catalysts for it was over the issue concerning the Confederate flag.
Today I have no desire to live there ever again. My parents still live out there because the real estate market is bad. I have heard them mention leaving because of the some of their experiences, and my own experiences.

Statistics are one thing. My own experiences kind of make me question those statistics.

Most Black people don't committ crime. Most White people don't committ crime. I do admit there are more unsafe Black neighborhoods than not. With that said, there are predominantly Black neighborhood that are safe. Atlanta, for example, has Cascade Heights, an affluent, predominantly African-American neighborhood. It is also a relatively expensive area.

You are choosing to live in a most White area. Well, there is something I need to address. One concern I have is for the middle-class African-Americans who want to live in a safe neighborhood, and know that they will have to deal with racial issues. Places like Cascade Heights in Atlanta are nice, but not everyone can afford to live there. There are many who do know about the crime issues in predominantly African-American neighborhoods. You mentioned the statistics as far as African-Americans committing crimes are concerned. There is one thing you are skipping over. African-Americans also have the highest rate of crime victimhood. Most crimes committed by Blacks are committed against other Black people. IN short, Black people, statistically, are more likely to be murdered than anyone else in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2010, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Southwest Louisiana
2,983 posts, read 2,657,387 times
Reputation: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
From my own personal experience, I have learned that just because a place is predominantly White doesn't mean that my safety will be guaranteed.

My father moved his family to the metro Atlanta area(Marietta specifically) for his job. Being the 10 year-old Black kid that I was, one of the things I liked about Marietta was the diversity of the place. I also felt more welcomed there. My father had concerns about the crime, particularly on the street we lived on. After 18 months, we moved 45 minutes away to Paulding County. He moved out there to get a nice house for relatively cheap, and a quieter place to live. We knew nothing about the place. Around the time it was 95% white. One might think it would be safer. Well, for me it wasn't much safer. In fact, a few months after I moved out there, some kid who lived in my subdivision shot me with a paintball gun, and thought it would be for kicks. And no, he was not Black. He was White. My house was also subjected to being egged on Halloween, and then the mailbox was destroyed. I was also jumped a few times, by Black kids and White kids. In the 9th grade, a few White kids decided to jump me and punch on me as soon as the teacher left the classroom. Because there were no witnesses, they got away with it. A few times I was subjected to racial intimidation. In my high school, there were a few fights that were related to race. One of the biggest catalysts for it was over the issue concerning the Confederate flag.
Today I have no desire to live there ever again. My parents still live out there because the real estate market is bad. I have heard them mention leaving because of the some of their experiences, and my own experiences.

Statistics are one thing. My own experiences kind of make me question those statistics.

Most Black people don't committ crime. Most White people don't committ crime. I do admit there are more unsafe Black neighborhoods than not. With that said, there are predominantly Black neighborhood that are safe. Atlanta, for example, has Cascade Heights, an affluent, predominantly African-American neighborhood. It is also a relatively expensive area.

You are choosing to live in a most White area. Well, there is something I need to address. One concern I have is for the middle-class African-Americans who want to live in a safe neighborhood, and know that they will have to deal with racial issues. Places like Cascade Heights in Atlanta are nice, but not everyone can afford to live there. There are many who do know about the crime issues in predominantly African-American neighborhoods. You mentioned the statistics as far as African-Americans committing crimes are concerned. There is one thing you are skipping over. African-Americans also have the highest rate of crime victimhood. Most crimes committed by Blacks are committed against other Black people. IN short, Black people, statistically, are more likely to be murdered than anyone else in the USA.
That is true. Unfortunately we are killing each other. You'd think it wouldn't be that way, but it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 01:08 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,178,073 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
From my own personal experience, I have learned that just because a place is predominantly White doesn't mean that my safety will be guaranteed.

My father moved his family to the metro Atlanta area(Marietta specifically) for his job. Being the 10 year-old Black kid that I was, one of the things I liked about Marietta was the diversity of the place. I also felt more welcomed there. My father had concerns about the crime, particularly on the street we lived on. After 18 months, we moved 45 minutes away to Paulding County. He moved out there to get a nice house for relatively cheap, and a quieter place to live. We knew nothing about the place. Around the time it was 95% white. One might think it would be safer. Well, for me it wasn't much safer. In fact, a few months after I moved out there, some kid who lived in my subdivision shot me with a paintball gun, and thought it would be for kicks. And no, he was not Black. He was White. My house was also subjected to being egged on Halloween, and then the mailbox was destroyed. I was also jumped a few times, by Black kids and White kids. In the 9th grade, a few White kids decided to jump me and punch on me as soon as the teacher left the classroom. Because there were no witnesses, they got away with it. A few times I was subjected to racial intimidation. In my high school, there were a few fights that were related to race. One of the biggest catalysts for it was over the issue concerning the Confederate flag.
Today I have no desire to live there ever again. My parents still live out there because the real estate market is bad. I have heard them mention leaving because of the some of their experiences, and my own experiences.

Statistics are one thing. My own experiences kind of make me question those statistics.

Most Black people don't committ crime. Most White people don't committ crime. I do admit there are more unsafe Black neighborhoods than not. With that said, there are predominantly Black neighborhood that are safe. Atlanta, for example, has Cascade Heights, an affluent, predominantly African-American neighborhood. It is also a relatively expensive area.

You are choosing to live in a most White area. Well, there is something I need to address. One concern I have is for the middle-class African-Americans who want to live in a safe neighborhood, and know that they will have to deal with racial issues. Places like Cascade Heights in Atlanta are nice, but not everyone can afford to live there. There are many who do know about the crime issues in predominantly African-American neighborhoods. You mentioned the statistics as far as African-Americans committing crimes are concerned. There is one thing you are skipping over. African-Americans also have the highest rate of crime victimhood. Most crimes committed by Blacks are committed against other Black people. IN short, Black people, statistically, are more likely to be murdered than anyone else in the USA.
I stated before that nobody can be 100% safe in their neighborhood. You're experiences as a black person in a white area don't mean much to me during my decision process. I'm not trying to be cold, but it just doesn't apply to me (white) and my family (white). You don't want to hear some of the pitiful things that have been screamed at me while I was just passing through black neighborhoods in Baton Rouge. I have had rocks thrown at my car by black children. My wife has been referred to as a "white b*tch" more times than I care to recall. It works the same way for white people in black neighborhoods as it does for black people in white neighborhoods. My job takes me all over town, to every neighborhood, and I can report very similary feelings of being unwelcome. Those who have a problem with white people around here don't hide it. So you have actually made another good reason why it isn't necessary to integrate neighborhoods.

And I really don't care to be hit by any stray bullets travelling from black shooter to black victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 05:00 AM
 
53,137 posts, read 48,402,084 times
Reputation: 16545
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
I stated before that nobody can be 100% safe in their neighborhood. You're experiences as a black person in a white area don't mean much to me during my decision process. I'm not trying to be cold, but it just doesn't apply to me (white) and my family (white). You don't want to hear some of the pitiful things that have been screamed at me while I was just passing through black neighborhoods in Baton Rouge. I have had rocks thrown at my car by black children. My wife has been referred to as a "white b*tch" more times than I care to recall. It works the same way for white people in black neighborhoods as it does for black people in white neighborhoods. My job takes me all over town, to every neighborhood, and I can report very similary feelings of being unwelcome. Those who have a problem with white people around here don't hide it. So you have actually made another good reason why it isn't necessary to integrate neighborhoods.

And I really don't care to be hit by any stray bullets travelling from black shooter to black victim.
Well, maybe I am going to sound like a whiner in your eyes, but I'm taking that risk. I have to think about me and where I am going to live. The fact is, Whites make up 65-66% of the USA population. Blacks make up about 13% of the population. Blacks are outnumbered by Whites 5 to 1. You choose to live in a predominantly White neighborhood because you say you feel safer. You have plenty to choose from if you want to feel safe. I, as a Black man, do not have as many options simply due to numbers. Most Black people do not commit crime. Most of us are law-abiding citizens. It is the small percentage of the population that is predatory towards other persons, especially towards Black people.

And my statement was not meant to be taken as "another good reason why it isn't necessary to integrate neighborhoods". My mission was to tell you the paradox that many middle-class African-Americans, such as my family have to deal with.

And you are right to not care to be hit by a stray bullet. How do you think alot of African-Americans who live in crime-ridden neighborhoods feel? How do you think my father felt when he found out someone was murdered on our old street right after moving in? He didn't want the same fate to happen to me or the rest of his family. That was part of why he left and moved to where he moved to. He didn't know that he would have issues. I didn't know either. We were looking for a safer place to live as many White people look for as well. What does a middle-class African-American do?

Yeah, I might sound whiny in your eyes. Or maybe not. It disturbs me that my concerned don't seem valid in your eyes, but not surprising either. I was just telling it as I saw it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:02 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top