U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:43 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,178,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Well, maybe I am going to sound like a whiner in your eyes, but I'm taking that risk. I have to think about me and where I am going to live. The fact is, Whites make up 65-66% of the USA population. Blacks make up about 13% of the population. Blacks are outnumbered by Whites 5 to 1. You choose to live in a predominantly White neighborhood because you say you feel safer. You have plenty to choose from if you want to feel safe. I, as a Black man, do not have as many options simply due to numbers. Most Black people do not commit crime. Most of us are law-abiding citizens. It is the small percentage of the population that is predatory towards other persons, especially towards Black people.

And my statement was not meant to be taken as "another good reason why it isn't necessary to integrate neighborhoods". My mission was to tell you the paradox that many middle-class African-Americans, such as my family have to deal with.

And you are right to not care to be hit by a stray bullet. How do you think alot of African-Americans who live in crime-ridden neighborhoods feel? How do you think my father felt when he found out someone was murdered on our old street right after moving in? He didn't want the same fate to happen to me or the rest of his family. That was part of why he left and moved to where he moved to. He didn't know that he would have issues. I didn't know either. We were looking for a safer place to live as many White people look for as well. What does a middle-class African-American do?

Yeah, I might sound whiny in your eyes. Or maybe not. It disturbs me that my concerned don't seem valid in your eyes, but not surprising either. I was just telling it as I saw it.
You don't sound like a whiner at all, you sound like somebody with the same priorities as me, just on the opposite side of the table. We both had bad experiences in neighborhoods predominantly populated by a different race, and we both like to be in a safe neighborhood.

I realize that most blacks are not violent people (remember my original post where I said "if" my neighborhood became a black neighborhood, my decision to stay or go would depend on the caliber of the black people, so I realize that there are plenty of decent black people out there).

As far as the lack of safe, affordable black neighborhoods, I understand how frustrating that must be for the black population. No self-respecting person wants to live and raise children in an area where violent crime is a part of every day life.

I honestly don't know what a middle-class black person is to do. Whatever you do is all up to you. I don't have any say in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,987 times
This paradox hits home for me as a middle class African American wife and mother. We currently live in what I consider to be a safe area in Baton Rouge. One of the few primarily black middle class neighborhoods in Baton Rouge. MetroBR has given a thorough review of our neighborhood in another post. Nevertheless, our neighborhood is very close to an apartment compound that houses transient individuals so we are concerned about the future of the area and our resale value.

My husband have been considering leaving the BR area for a safer city with better schools. We feel especially vulnerable in BR with the escalation in crime and the knowledge that these random acts of violence are more likely to happen to someone who looks like us. However, I’ve found that when considering a new area the racial makeup and/or racial tolerance levels of the proposed community weigh heavily in our decision. I actually grew up in a predominately white and Hispanic community which I loved. However, I attribute the positive attitude of that community to relatively low crime rates and a large military base which promoted multiculturalismand contributed greatly to the local economy.

I apologize for the cliched empowerment speech, but I think the answer for black middle class Americans is pretty much the same answer for all Americans. Move your family to a safe neighborhood regardless of its racial makeup. The slights, emotionally distant neighbors, and bullying at school your children may receive can be overcome in therapy at a later date(…said facetiously).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
You don't sound like a whiner at all, you sound like somebody with the same priorities as me, just on the opposite side of the table. We both had bad experiences in neighborhoods predominantly populated by a different race, and we both like to be in a safe neighborhood.

I realize that most blacks are not violent people (remember my original post where I said "if" my neighborhood became a black neighborhood, my decision to stay or go would depend on the caliber of the black people, so I realize that there are plenty of decent black people out there).

As far as the lack of safe, affordable black neighborhoods, I understand how frustrating that must be for the black population. No self-respecting person wants to live and raise children in an area where violent crime is a part of every day life.

I honestly don't know what a middle-class black person is to do. Whatever you do is all up to you. I don't have any say in it.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:32 PM

53,149 posts, read 48,402,084 times
Quote:

Looks like we are looking for similar things and have had similar things happen to us.

I tend to think about what I am going to do in my early years because I never thought as a young child I would have to. The older I get, the more cynical I get. I don't want to live in an area full of violence. I also want to be accepted.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaymer View Post
This paradox hits home for me as a middle class African American wife and mother. We currently live in what I consider to be a safe area in Baton Rouge. One of the few primarily black middle class neighborhoods in Baton Rouge. MetroBR has given a thorough review of our neighborhood in another post. Nevertheless, our neighborhood is very close to an apartment compound that houses transient individuals so we are concerned about the future of the area and our resale value.

My husband have been considering leaving the BR area for a safer city with better schools. We feel especially vulnerable in BR with the escalation in crime and the knowledge that these random acts of violence are more likely to happen to someone who looks like us. However, I’ve found that when considering a new area the racial makeup and/or racial tolerance levels of the proposed community weigh heavily in our decision. I actually grew up in a predominately white and Hispanic community which I loved. However, I attribute the positive attitude of that community to relatively low crime rates and a large military base which promoted multiculturalismand contributed greatly to the local economy.

I apologize for the cliched empowerment speech, but I think the answer for black middle class Americans is pretty much the same answer for all Americans. Move your family to a safe neighborhood regardless of its racial makeup. The slights, emotionally distant neighbors, and bullying at school your children may receive can be overcome in therapy at a later date(…said facetiously).
I sounds like trading one set of problems for another set of problems. Both are issues for a person to deal with.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:00 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,178,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Looks like we are looking for similar things and have had similar things happen to us.

I tend to think about what I am going to do in my early years because I never thought as a young child I would have to. The older I get, the more cynical I get. I don't want to live in an area full of violence. I also want to be accepted.
Understandable. Have you considered moving to the country or out in the woods? No neighbors can sometimes = good neighbors. I might just build a cabin out in the woods someplace and "live off the land" if I ever get my fill of the city.

Last edited by MetroBTR; 10-06-2010 at 05:17 PM..

Old 10-07-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Understandable. Have you considered moving to the country or out in the woods? No neighbors can sometimes = good neighbors. I might just build a cabin out in the woods someplace and "live off the land" if I ever get my fill of the city.
I have thought about it(in my moments of anger). I don't know if it would work for me. I did live out in the sticks for a short time.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:36 AM

430 posts, read 339,636 times
Not one day gone passed where I hadnt thought about these dam maps. I seriously am still shocked at how unintegrated we trulely are in this day and age. I thought we as a culture, American culture, as made a "turtle's progress" towards a less untegrated society.

I mean dam.....we voted in a Black President

Closer to home...a governor with foreigh roots!!!

And c'mon.....seriously, screw that map, we know what we see in Louisiana society. Its mixed pretty good as far as i can see.

Im from Monroe, Louisiana. We have a rougher part or town and an upscale part of town just like anyone esle. But, I can tell you this for sure.......The middle class is very well ingrated. The high schools can be a good judgement of how mixed the areas are. Out of the 7 high schools in Monroe alone, Id say 5 are middle classed. 3 are actually private schools which are indeed predominatly white, but has a good presence of blacks. The other two are 4A public schools which has a very diverse group of people.

But thats what I see in the middle class here. Just about all of Northern, Northeastern, and middle of Monroe is middle classed and intergrated. Sure theres whispers and uncertainy, but all and all the people do well considering whats on the infamous southside of Monroe in the city limits......aka the crime area....aka the less fortunate area....which just happens to be the predominantly black area.

I actually live in a middle class area and believe me, I see everything from a mexican mother walking her daughter to and from the bus stop everyday to.........this Middle Eastern couple scaring the hell out of me with their gowns and turbans on walking slowly to whereever they're going.....creeps me out.

Even with that said, I know in the end those people are trying to make a living just like me. We live in the so call "land of the free" so be it. They have a right to their customs and cultures just like I do. If we as people learn to respect that, then we have no problems.....because frankly thats where it starts. Its 2010, we have so much proof all around us that society has soften its teeth grit on "what color?" and leaning more towards whats right and what works.

Which is why I think those maps are very exaggerated.........if not, who cares. We know what we see in Louisiana, its your culture, not your race...............but that has just as much as relevancy, but less pop.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:08 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,390,578 times
I hate to hear people of any ethnicity make the comment "I'm safer around white people than I am black people". Safety is more so correlated with socioeconomic levels than it is racial. I can point out white neighborhoods in the areas surrounding N.O. that are just as dangerous as all but the worst black neighborhoods, parts of the Westbank and East Jefferson come to mind. The only difference on a bigger scale outside of N.O. is that many lower class whites actually live in rural areas and can be ignored versus being seen as a nuisance to the city. They also don't necessarily face the same social conditions, but that's another story. That belief is what causes people to flee when blacks start arriving in the neighborhood, setting off a chain reaction. In some areas middle class blacks can move into an area and middle class whites/Asians will flee, then the middle class blacks flee, and then lower class people move in because he value is now gone. The blacks end up better off settling in a more homogeneous setting and other ethnicities you this to justify themselves, my favorite quote being "They stick together, so why can't we?" There is so much more to the racial problems and behaviors in this country than the "I'm this color and you're that color, not my problem" (from all ethnicities) train of thought acknowledges. I am well aware that no race is worse than the other when it comes to being racist, but it can't really be ignored. At the same time it probably can never be fixed.

On that note, where in the hell did forcing races together come from? Who's trying to force who?

Old 10-08-2010, 08:18 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,828,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
On that note, where in the hell did forcing races together come from? Who's trying to force who?
The Civil Rights Act , forced integration of schools ( busing ) , affirmitive action , quotas , etc.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:41 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,390,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
The Civil Rights Act , forced integration of schools ( busing ) , affirmitive action , quotas , etc.
If I'm not mistaken, the Civil Rights movements was moreso about equality vs. forcing people together. It just so happens that the only way to achieve that in that society was to put people together and unless you have blinders on it's obvious that society still found away around it.

Now if you would like to explain why things were so much better during that time, I'll gladly listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or