U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 12:36 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,828,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the Civil Rights movements was moreso about equality vs. forcing people together. It just so happens that the only way to achieve that in that society was to put people together and unless you have blinders on it's obvious that society still found away around it.

Now if you would like to explain why things were so much better during that time, I'll gladly listen.
We would you like to quote me where I said things were better ? The point I'm trying to make ( and the only point ) is that the goverment has FORCED people to do things they might not otherwise do . Live in the same neighborhoods , go to the same schools , etc. Many of these things would have come about naturaly , but the govt. speeded up the process . People do not like being told how to live , and some changes were met with resistance and even violence . On both sides .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 01:10 PM

4,423 posts, read 5,178,033 times
I thought there were far more blacks in New Orleans. Especially Kenner.

I'm surprised to see so many "red" dots.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:20 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,390,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
We would you like to quote me where I said things were better ? The point I'm trying to make ( and the only point ) is that the goverment has FORCED people to do things they might not otherwise do . Live in the same neighborhoods , go to the same schools , etc. Many of these things would have come about naturaly , but the govt. speeded up the process . People do not like being told how to live , and some changes were met with resistance and even violence . On both sides .

Maybe I jumped the gun a little.

Seriously, The Civil Rights Movement isn't a one way street. Technically during the Civil Rights Movement the government simply forced people to do the exact opposite of what local governments were already forcing them to do. We had major problems before and we have major problems after. Some people wanted to do "be" together, some didn't.

I agree that people shouldn't have to do what they don't want to.. to an extent. But still, you'll just as many problems letting people do things on their own as you will forcing them together.

The bolded part of this quote from another thread sums up how I feel about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRo View Post
I am not a proponent of multiculturalism, in the sense that we should all be thrown into some big amalgamated stew (the proverbial 'melting pot') to bask in each other's cultural heritage, while holding hands and singing Kumbaya. That said, I don't have a problem with people socializing and learning about other cultures, if that's what they CHOOSE to do. But, I don't think it should be forced on anyone, and I resent being thrown into a category that somebody else thinks I fit in just because of my skin color.
I'd like to add to that I feel it extremely ignorant for those who CHOOSE not to do so to be the first the to make a generalization about the people they don't want to be around and propigate it like gospel. The people who don't want to stay to themselves usually tend to be the exact same people who have the biggest problems with everyone esle based on nothing because they don't know enough about the people to not like them.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:25 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,178,073 times
Quote:
I hate to hear people of any ethnicity make the comment "I'm safer around white people than I am black people". Safety is more so correlated with socioeconomic levels than it is racial. I can point out white neighborhoods in the areas surrounding N.O. that are just as dangerous as all but the worst black neighborhoods, parts of the Westbank and East Jefferson come to mind. The only difference on a bigger scale outside of N.O. is that many lower class whites actually live in rural areas and can be ignored versus being seen as a nuisance to the city. They also don't necessarily face the same social conditions, but that's another story. That belief is what causes people to flee when blacks start arriving in the neighborhood, setting off a chain reaction. In some areas middle class blacks can move into an area and middle class whites/Asians will flee, then the middle class blacks flee, and then lower class people move in because he value is now gone. The blacks end up better off settling in a more homogeneous setting and other ethnicities you this to justify themselves, my favorite quote being "They stick together, so why can't we?" There is so much more to the racial problems and behaviors in this country than the "I'm this color and you're that color, not my problem" (from all ethnicities) train of thought acknowledges. I am well aware that no race is worse than the other when it comes to being racist, but it can't really be ignored. At the same time it probably can never be fixed.

On that note, where in the hell did forcing races together come from? Who's trying to force who?
Well I live in Baton Rouge, where there are no white neighborhoods that are as dangerous as black neighborhoods. Pardon me for thinking I'm safer around whites in a town where blacks are responsible for a huge majority of violent crime.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:24 PM

53,149 posts, read 48,402,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Well, the way I look at it, sometimes you need to force things in order for things to get done. As for the government speeding up the process, I say it could not have come soon enough. If the way African-Americans were treated during the Jim Crow is any indicator, then the government should have acted alot quicker and alot sooner, no matter how much resistance there was. If it's human rights being involved, then the government better act. Many people say Reconstruction was heavy-handed. Well, I say it needed to happen. Black people finally got to vote, at least during Reconstruction.

Forced? Maybe, but if I were a Black man living in 1965, I would have been more than happy to have the federal government do such things. Dr. King was willing to die for all of that(and he eventually did die). I say if the local government won't treat you right, then the federal government SHOULD step in and force it to behave.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Well I live in Baton Rouge, where there are no white neighborhoods that are as dangerous as black neighborhoods. Pardon me for thinking I'm safer around whites in a town where blacks are responsible for a huge majority of violent crime.
Pardoned.

Am I to assume that middle and upper class blacks are going around killing and robbing each other in Baton Rouge as well and that even the lowest class of white areas are crime free? There's a difference between not feeling safe around blacks and not feeling safe around blacks of a certain social status in which case I would feel equally unsafe around any ethnicity on that same tier.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:43 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,178,073 times
Quote:
Pardoned.

Am I to assume that middle and upper class blacks are going around killing and robbing each other in Baton Rouge as well and that even the lowest class of white areas are crime free? There's a difference between not feeling safe around blacks and not feeling safe around blacks of a certain social status in which case I would feel equally unsafe around any ethnicity on that same tier.
Just so happens that the primarily black neighborhoods in Baton Rouge that you would consider anywhere even approaching middle class (which are almost non-existant, break-ins are and suspicious activity are common. They have to form crime-prevention districts and PAY for private security patrols and the neighborhoods remain marginal and are a haven for property crime and theft.

This is why most blacks in BR who actually care about their safety move to white neighborhoods, and all too often, undesirables are not far behind and end up ruining the whole thing for both middle-class whites and blacks in those areas.

The lowest class of whites in BR live in black neighborhoods and have adopted lower-class black culture. There are no substantial neighborhoods of 75%+ "lower class" white in BR that I know of. Unless you count drunk college students on Jennifer Jean Drive or in Tigerland. In these areas, college students are more often the targets of crime than they are the perps.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:00 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,828,928 times
Metro , I'm going to keep on saying it ... The truth is offensive to some people . You know what I mean .

Old 10-11-2010, 11:29 AM

4,423 posts, read 5,178,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post

I have to agree. I moved away from Baton Rouge because after a large number of blacks moved in around me, suddenly our apartment was broken into every other week, our car was vandalized, and the police kept knocking on our door looking for neighbors. When the complex was majority white and a few Mexicans, there was hardly any crime, if any.

Am I racist? No. Them's just the facts.

I have personally never lived in a predominantly white area where the crime was really bad. I KNOW they exist. Whites are not innocent by any measure. But I have been conditioned in my time to feel safer around whites. Too many blacks have done me wrong.

I have to clarify that I DO NOT hate black folks. I am cautious of them. Trust me, I didn't start out that way.

If people don't like to be stereotyped, why do they keep acting like the stereotypes they hate?

Old 10-11-2010, 02:38 PM

MetroBTR,
It's not about being racist or anything in particular. Thing is you can't generalize a group of people based on certain segment of them no matter how big or small that percentage. You can only generalize that segment and even then you won't get an accurate picture. That is what I am referring to in my post

Just going from what you said it's easy to assume that you shouldn't be any more safer around the lower class whites in BR than you would the low class blacks, nor should you be any less safe around middle class blacks than middle class whites. By your own admission the lower class individuals are the main problem. The demographic situation isn't an excuse because the social climate of BR doesn't necessarily apply to people in the next city and so on.

I've always heard that Baton Rouge social situation was a little testy, I personally haven't spent enough time there to fully judge it myself; but I had no idea that it was that polarized. I also have to ask what is going on in these middle class neighborhoods that give the lower classes access to move in??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CookieSkoon, if feel where you're coming from; but remember you already have a set opinion about South Louisianians in general that's not too good. So are any of us portraying that stereotypical South Louisianan that you don't care for? I could have stereotyped you from our first conversation, do you feel that it would have been warranted (unless you like to be stereotyped)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or