Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 11:22 PM

420 posts, read 479,185 times

Advertisements

Amazing maps. But whats shocking is.....seems like Baton Rouge has the worst showing. I expected Shreveport to be the worst...Wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 01:28 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,797 times
Until people quit placing a divide in society it will always exist.

We may have different skin tones but we all bleed red. According to
population estimates, brown skin will be the predominant skin color in
the not so distant future. Perhaps then people won't be so knuckleheaded
about what race a person is. Skin tone is melanin difference and should not
be basis for a caste system.

I'd bet the big guy in charge doesn't like racists. Just a hunch.
What would Jesus do with a racist?

Old 09-28-2010, 04:47 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Can you comprehend? People don't automatically not get along because they have a different skin tone or come from a different country. People don't get along because they are too stupid to not realize that humans as a species have more similarities than differences. If this wasn't the case there would have never even been a need for a Civil Rights Act in the form that we know it and no one would have to be forced anywhere I never said that anything was wrong with wanting to be with similar people. I said that simply putting people beside each other doesn't cause the problem. It's the ignorance of those people on either side that does in most cases. Disprove it if you can.
And you are missing my point completely . Putting people of different races and or cultures together , by " force " , can and does cause problems . Whatever the reason . We may disagree on the reason for it , but it DOES happen and history proves that . When I say it automatically happens , I'm talking about the net result , not the reasons for it .

Old 09-28-2010, 10:09 AM

420 posts, read 479,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
And you are missing my point completely . Putting people of different races and or cultures together , by " force " , can and does cause problems . Whatever the reason . We may disagree on the reason for it , but it DOES happen and history proves that . When I say it automatically happens , I'm talking about the net result , not the reasons for it .
I can concur on that. I mean if you put low income housing in a high end neighborhood, that to me is just like forcing the those to worlds to get along.

We all know the people who are well off and paid big money to live in those big homes absolutely do not want projects, section 8, or low income housing near their properties. Its only gonna "force" the wealthier people to flee.

Now statistically I bet the wealthier blacks can live with the wealthy whites. When money is involved, only color is green.....same case can be made with education and degrees. That to me is the northern-east coast way of living. Sure you always gonna have your poor neighborhoods, the richer ones, and your middle class, but if you look at middle class in the northern states you might find it alot more intergrated.

Im so curious to know if thats true though......because I honestly thought New Orleans was one of those places where the middle class greatly intergrated. Im still in shock.......

WHERE DID YOU FIND THESE MAPS!!! DO ATLANTA, SEATTLE, AND UMM.......HOW BOUT DENVER?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:25 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
mhounit, if you're talking what can happen when people are put together that is one thing but you can't say that these problems are a result of simply putting two groups of people next to each other. If I had no choice but to sit next you and then I attack you or vice versa, it's not because I had to sit by you it's because I already didn't like you or you didn't like me. History shows us there have been problems between different groups since the beginning, but history also gives clear evidence as to why. The problem is not that people are next to each other, the problem is that people want to be in the same spot but don't want to coexist.

LOUISIANA'SLEGEND, that's all because of the mindset of the people. Look at New Orleans, the richest of the rich live right next to the poorest of the poor with minimal problems. It's the middle class that moved and squeezed itself out, but at the same time if you look at the map the middle class areas are more integrated in New Orleans and on the Westbank. It's East Jefferson and St. Benard where everything is really polarized.

Here's a link to the article.
Race maps of America | Mail Online

Atlanta

Denver

Seattle

-------------------------------------------------------------
Here's Houston

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 09-28-2010 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-28-2010, 03:34 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
kind of puts into perspective how ignorant northerners have to be about issues of race or segregation. They live in a really white world. I thought it was more diverse than that.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:23 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
mhounit, if you're talking what can happen when people are put together that is one thing but you can't say that these problems are a result of simply putting two groups of people next to each other. If I had no choice but to sit next you and then I attack you or vice versa, it's not because I had to sit by you it's because I already didn't like you or you didn't like me. History shows us there have been problems between different groups since the beginning, but history also gives clear evidence as to why. The problem is not that people are next to each other, the problem is that people want to be in the same spot but don't want to coexist.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Now you understand my point .

Old 09-28-2010, 09:32 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Lake Charles would probably only have a few orange and green dots just scattered, mostly red and blue, and south-red, north-blue, mid city-blue and red.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:18 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
New Orleans IS extremely integrated. Most of the people they're counting as 'white' have self-identified as such. And while many of them may not have any Sub-Saharan African ancestry, they certainly are not 'white' by the standards of a 1960s Country Club (outside South Louisiana).

Considering that lots and lots of the oldest families are Catholic, with Spanish ancestors, they could be counted as 'Hispanic'. Many more of the whites remaining in the city are Sicilian and Canary Islander. And a huge percentage, particularly those with French surnames, have unacknowledged black ancestry. Virtually everybody remaining in the city (who's not an 'artistic' import, or a recent immigrant) is of extremely mixed heritage.

So, my guess is that 'whites' are vastly over-counted in New Orleans. The distribution for Shreveport and Baton Rouge is about what I'd expected, though, and adjusted for self-perception of (relative) whiteness, it's what I saw in New Orleans, pre-Katrina.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:51 PM

11 posts, read 29,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
kind of puts into perspective how ignorant northerners have to be about issues of race or segregation. They live in a really white world. I thought it was more diverse than that.

Ha! I wonder who's ignorant,

The nothern maps look like that because it's because it's very
intergrated.

What's shocking is that NOLA map..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana