U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2010, 02:26 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,352,508 times
Reputation: 1418

Advertisements

What do you think? Red=White, Blue=Black, Orange=Hispanic, Green=Asian

New Orleans


Baton Rouge


Shreveport


----------------------------------
For N.O. I noticed that Hispanics and Asians are fairly integrated to the point that you can hardly find them, but blacks and whites remain polarized. Still though, there are several areas where whites and blacks tend to be integrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2010, 02:34 PM
 
52,253 posts, read 47,942,631 times
Reputation: 16270
Doesn't surprise me that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2010, 02:42 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,352,508 times
Reputation: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Doesn't surprise me that much.
I expected N.O. to be a little more integrated, just because race isn't that big of deal on the Southshore socially until it gets political. On the other hand, the lower class areas are predominately black, the upper class areas are predominately white, with middle class areas being fairly integrated (exception of Metairie, though there are blue dots mixed in there). Other than that I'm not surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2010, 04:08 PM
 
Location: City of Central
1,845 posts, read 3,805,801 times
Reputation: 949
There is nothing wrong with people wanting to live with their own race . It's a natural thing . When you FORCE races together , that's when the problems start .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2010, 04:39 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,352,508 times
Reputation: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
There is nothing wrong with people wanting to live with their own race . It's a natural thing . When you FORCE races together , that's when the problems start .
FORCING them apart is just as bad as FORCING them together. Nobody should be FORCED to do anything, but the problems don't start because you put two races next to each other. The problem starts because people are too stupid to enlighten themselves. It's not like race is a natural construct, it's 100% man made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2010, 05:59 PM
 
Location: City of Central
1,845 posts, read 3,805,801 times
Reputation: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
FORCING them apart is just as bad as FORCING them together. Nobody should be FORCED to do anything, but the problems don't start because you put two races next to each other. The problem starts because people are too stupid to enlighten themselves. It's not like race is a natural construct, it's 100% man made.
I disagree with that completely . Since when are groups forced apart ? Anyway , If you are from N.O. , surely you remember , or have heard of neighborhoods that were predominately black , or Italian or Creole , etc.
So these people were not " enlightened " because they chose to live with those of their own race or nationality ? So they were stupid ?
When you force people of different races , cultures , etc. , together , the differences are magnified . What happened in the 1960's when the Federal govt. suddenly decided to force integration , by gunpoint in some cases ? Were you alive then , and old enough to remember ? I don't want to debate the merits of the civil rights act , but the consequences were pretty ugly in some cases . The govt. FORCED people to change a culture ( right or wrong ) that had been in place for hundreds of years . I'm old enough to have seen and experienced what happens when different races are forced to live , work , and play together . And I promise you , the opposition to that can come from both sides .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2010, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana
182 posts, read 441,191 times
Reputation: 50
Where did you get these maps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 PM
 
52,253 posts, read 47,942,631 times
Reputation: 16270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
I disagree with that completely . Since when are groups forced apart ? Anyway , If you are from N.O. , surely you remember , or have heard of neighborhoods that were predominately black , or Italian or Creole , etc.
So these people were not " enlightened " because they chose to live with those of their own race or nationality ? So they were stupid ?
When you force people of different races , cultures , etc. , together , the differences are magnified . What happened in the 1960's when the Federal govt. suddenly decided to force integration , by gunpoint in some cases ? Were you alive then , and old enough to remember ? I don't want to debate the merits of the civil rights act , but the consequences were pretty ugly in some cases . The govt. FORCED people to change a culture ( right or wrong ) that had been in place for hundreds of years . I'm old enough to have seen and experienced what happens when different races are forced to live , work , and play together . And I promise you , the opposition to that can come from both sides .
If changing a culture means getting rid of Jim Crow laws, then I am glad the Feds stepped in. It certainly helped me. I am thankful the feds stepped in. Basically,the local governments in the Deep South treats Blacks like second class citizens at best. At the end of the day, it helped me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,352,508 times
Reputation: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
I disagree with that completely . Since when are groups forced apart ? Anyway , If you are from N.O. , surely you remember , or have heard of neighborhoods that were predominately black , or Italian or Creole , etc.
So these people were not " enlightened " because they chose to live with those of their own race or nationality ? So they were stupid ?
When you force people of different races , cultures , etc. , together , the differences are magnified . What happened in the 1960's when the Federal govt. suddenly decided to force integration , by gunpoint in some cases ? Were you alive then , and old enough to remember ? I don't want to debate the merits of the civil rights act , but the consequences were pretty ugly in some cases . The govt. FORCED people to change a culture ( right or wrong ) that had been in place for hundreds of years . I'm old enough to have seen and experienced what happens when different races are forced to live , work , and play together . And I promise you , the opposition to that can come from both sides .
Can you comprehend? People don't automatically not get along because they have a different skin tone or come from a different country. People don't get along because they are too stupid to not realize that humans as a species have more similarities than differences. If this wasn't the case there would have never even been a need for a Civil Rights Act in the form that we know it and no one would have to be forced anywhere I never said that anything was wrong with wanting to be with similar people. I said that simply putting people beside each other doesn't cause the problem. It's the ignorance of those people on either side that does in most cases. Disprove it if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2010, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,672 posts, read 34,856,749 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
I disagree with that completely . Since when are groups forced apart ? Anyway , If you are from N.O. , surely you remember , or have heard of neighborhoods that were predominately black , or Italian or Creole , etc.
So these people were not " enlightened " because they chose to live with those of their own race or nationality ? So they were stupid ?
When you force people of different races , cultures , etc. , together , the differences are magnified . What happened in the 1960's when the Federal govt. suddenly decided to force integration , by gunpoint in some cases ? Were you alive then , and old enough to remember ? I don't want to debate the merits of the civil rights act , but the consequences were pretty ugly in some cases . The govt. FORCED people to change a culture ( right or wrong ) that had been in place for hundreds of years . I'm old enough to have seen and experienced what happens when different races are forced to live , work , and play together . And I promise you , the opposition to that can come from both sides .
So you think Jim Crow was a good thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top