U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:31 PM

3,219 posts, read 8,193,208 times

Advertisements

Ok, I went to visit Lafayette last year with some friends from Germany and all were disappointed. Ok, what new and is there anything beside River Ridge that is new to Lafayette. Why are there no skyscrapers there for a city it size?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 09:46 PM

431 posts, read 970,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Ok, I went to visit Lafayette last year with some friends from Germany and all were disappointed. Ok, what new and is there anything beside River Ridge that is new to Lafayette. Why are there no skyscrapers there for a city it size?
Too bad your German friends were disappointed on their visit. Out of curiosity, what in particular led to their disappointment?

Quote:
Ok, what new and is there anything beside River Ridge that is new to Lafayette.
Anything new? Could you be more specific? Lot's of construction taking place, but can't think of anything other than some new restaurants and shopping centers that would concern you. There's a new "lifestyle" project just breaking ground that promises some great eating as well as Lafayette's first five-star hotel and some up-scale shopping, but no "entertainment" types of development...

Quote:
Why are there no skyscrapers there for a city it size?
Probably due to the nature of the local oil industry and development trends at the time during the last major growth cycle. Big boom and bust cycles might had lead developers to build the lower cost campus-style complexes. There are a few stand-alone buildings scattered about in the five to nine floor variety well outside of downtown. Not much (but some) has been developed building-wise downtown in the last couple of decades. But we do have the introduction of our newest bar scene. :/

Just wish you had timed your visit with Festivals International, or some other festival...

Last edited by JimLFT; 10-10-2010 at 10:07 PM..

Old 10-11-2010, 01:03 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,004,015 times
I'm glad we don't have a bunch of skyscrapers. Thank goodness Lafayette isn't just another metro.

I'd suggest vacationing in Houston.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:39 PM

2,049 posts, read 4,711,445 times
Lafayette isnt about metro city life. Its a more laid back southern city that focuses more on the culture and people than the infrastructure. The infrastructure is awful. Lafayette residents will readily admit it. I wouldnt expect a bunch of Germans to be able to appreciate whats good about it.
On the same token, I wouldnt appreciate German infrstructure either because I hate overcrowded cities.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:10 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,184,346 times
If all you did was drive around and expect to be blown away, I can understand the disappointment. I remember first moving after Katrina and I kept saying, "Man, what is all the hype about!? All I see is strip malls and a super small old/downtown area!" Then I started going to live music spots, and meeting the most amazing people, and taking crazy trips to different spots throughout the area. Then it became home. I'm back in New Orleans and going overseas for 2 years, but when I get back, returning to Lafayette is my #1 priority. To get the true Lafayette perspective, you either have to go with a local guide or go during Festival Internationale as a wandering tourist. I don't feel like you can fully understand what the city has to offer by just passing through with all out of towners.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:30 AM

431 posts, read 970,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
If all you did was drive around and expect to be blown away, I can understand the disappointment. I remember first moving after Katrina and I kept saying, "Man, what is all the hype about!? All I see is strip malls and a super small old/downtown area!" Then I started going to live music spots, and meeting the most amazing people, and taking crazy trips to different spots throughout the area. Then it became home. I'm back in New Orleans and going overseas for 2 years, but when I get back, returning to Lafayette is my #1 priority. To get the true Lafayette perspective, you either have to go with a local guide or go during Festival Internationale as a wandering tourist. I don't feel like you can fully understand what the city has to offer by just passing through with all out of towners.
What he said!

I have to ask. Did you plan the visit? Sometimes my wife and I host visitors from elsewhere, usually from abroad. Our pre-set tour itinerary is still a bit mushy and inconsistent, but it gets refined after each "grand tour" of the Acadiana area. And as always, we encourage our visitors to time their visit to certain events. Doesn't always work out that way, but hey...

Lafayette is not Orlando or Vegas where all you have to do is get off the plane to start having fun. Pre-trip planning is a "best practice" prior to visiting this area. And this forum is probably the best place to begin that planning by asking us locals for info beforehand.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:06 AM

14,089 posts, read 24,376,722 times
skyscrapers? You do realize that our soil is soft and the watertable is not too far from the surface? That's one of the reasons why our homes don't have basements and you're talking about skyscrapers? I shudder to imagine how deep the structure supports would have to go to hold up all that weight without becoming another leaning tower. Did you bother to walk the downtown area of Lafayette? Did you bother to check out some of the local traditional foods? Did you bother to go south to Avery Island? Did you bother to plan the trip during one of the festivals? Or did you just expect another New Orleans where the most popular activity is getting drunk?

Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 AM

3,219 posts, read 8,193,208 times
The city could make a better presentation when coming in form I H10. The city's travel department could advertise ti promote the city better. There is no doubt the city has culture but why not invest in downtown to emulate your culture like other cities. I compare Lafayette with Asheville, NC. Go there and see what an inferior city to Lafayette can do

Old 10-17-2010, 06:48 PM

430 posts, read 339,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
The city could make a better presentation when coming in form I H10. The city's travel department could advertise ti promote the city better. There is no doubt the city has culture but why not invest in downtown to emulate your culture like other cities. I compare Lafayette with Asheville, NC. Go there and see what an inferior city to Lafayette can do
Yea I remember your thread last yr, it sparked my interest enough to visit.

I understand where your coming from though, there been so much hype about Lafayette that you'd expect to see dramatic growth there based on the excitement from the locals.

I knew better though I knew it wasn't going to be dramatic, but still I was open minded enough to notice the changes.

I'd say the change is in the convience and comfort in living there as a resident. There are newer homes and neighborhoods, a lot more shopping and restaurants. and the biggest one to me, the partying that is a new way of life down there. Its comparable to New Orleans......just on a smaller stage and not as consistent.

I loved it and was impressed with just that. ..only one real dissapppointment.....I went the morning after Halloween last yr, and I know I missed a great partty downtown.......I wished somebody would have told me about it! Lafayette great Louisiana city of historic culture and moral!

Old 10-18-2010, 04:08 AM

2,049 posts, read 4,711,445 times
you really need to come attend Downtown alive or better yet, during the 5 day Fesitval International. Music from all around the world (Im not kidding) and over 400,000 visitors come into the city during the festival. That is something to see if you want to see this city at its best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana