U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 03:08 PM

11 posts, read 29,421 times

Advertisements

Hi just wondered if anyone lived in either of those places, I did research basic data, but wondered about amenities locally, how far any bigger shopping venues restaurants were what the places feel was like in general. May have a job offer in Franklinton is why I am asking, so any responses would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 05:05 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,828,928 times
Franklinton ? One horse town , without the horse . Not sure about Bogalusa .

Old 10-26-2010, 06:05 PM

11 posts, read 29,421 times
Thanks for the reply and yes from what I see Franklinton is really small town Bogalusa somewhat bigger, still hoping I get a reply from any that have lived there... what its like whats around. Thanks again

Old 10-26-2010, 11:37 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,184,346 times
Bogalusa is awful. Its the armpit of South Louisiana. It was once the main city across the lake but once the bridges were built linking New Orleans to Slidell, Mandeville and Covington it couldn't attract new people to the area and began to decline. Then it turned to a paper mill and chemical plants as means of keeping jobs, and that of course made the place smell awful and caused a host of medical problems, culminating when a chemical explosion in 1995 sent 4,000 people (in a town of 13,000) to the emergency room. My friend who grew up nearby tells me she still knows people who go to the doctor regularly to deal with their chemical exposure.

Most people my age who grew up there hate it and do whatever they can to get out. This is evident in all of the abandoned houses in the area as well as the insanely low prices for homes in the dying town. I've heard Bogalusa people blame the crime problems and city decline on "Katrina rejects"; I don't buy this at all, but if it's true thats just another negative aspect of the town that can't find positive footing.

Franklinton is a quaint town with a much better quality of life. Don't expect anything resembling New Orleans up there. To me it's just too close to Mississippi.

To give you an idea of Bogalusa, check out this youtube video. Read all of the comments and tell me that the local attitude is positive. You can't. And yes, I did comment on there a year ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCIO4n8l_e0

Old 04-08-2011, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,541 times
I lived in Franklinton about 8 years ago, and still have family and dear friends that lives there. It is a small town, and like most small towns, you have the good and the bad.
What draws most people to Franklinton is the annual Washington Parish Fair. Growing up, it was a tradition in my family to attend the fair every year. Franklinton doesn't have a 'mall' per say, on the upper end of town they have Winn Dixie and across the main highway is Fred's and a few other stores. On the other end of town (where Winn Dixie moved from) is a few more shopping stores.
I never went to the school there myself, but when we lived there my son was a student at the elementary school and the staff was very caring, friendly, and helpful.
Hope this helps you.

Last edited by kejw7349; 04-08-2011 at 03:18 PM..

Old 04-08-2011, 03:21 PM

3 posts, read 7,541 times
Also for stores like Walmart or restaurants, you would need to travel to Covington which is about 10 to 15 miles from Franklinton. And is closer to Franklinton than Slidell, Hammond, Mandeville, and New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana