U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:26 AM

14,358 posts, read 20,798,513 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, I wouldn't buy Louisiana over many other cities in the gulf region. I don't know enough about any other metro other than Baton Rouge but in order to sell BR to residents coming from out of state we need to understand that we are more of a big city than a town. When I refer to cities I've been to or would like to go to, I often think of the downtown and uptown areas. There is nothing to offer residents coming from out of state, or people who have actually lived in more successful cities. For our city to attract new residents and to finally grow like we should have, we need to improve things like infrastructure, the public school system, and overall amenities.
From Lake Charles to New Orleans there is a major city (cities with CBDs) on I-10. Lake Charles even has the 210 loop, I'm still wondering why Lafayette and Baton Rouge don't have their own loops. And thinking of that, if EBR were to build an outer loop as well as an inner loop, the outer loop would/should somehow create a single corridor with Lafayette Prasish since we are freakishly close to each other. Being so close to 4 major cities in the state, eventually I think we will see huge suburbs connecting across the I-10 stretch. The amount of suburbs reminds me of horrible Houston but we're not Texas so hopefully we will do good.

And let me admit, I'm 19 and I'm just talking out of my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 11:27 AM

167 posts, read 780,735 times
This is a tricky question. I find that Louisiana has most of the things that people don't know they want. I grew up in St. Tammany Parish. I went to college in North Louisiana. After I married and graduated, we couldn't wait to leave and try something new. Something fast paced, constant entertainment, lots of job opportunities, high salaries, public transit, etc, etc.
Well after living in the Atlanta area for 10 years we are yearning to come back to a slow simple lifestyle where the focus is people and relationships. We don't care about the salary as much because people live much more simple in Louisiana (for example- totally normal to be driving your 1998 Honda there). Public transit can be very limited and overrated even in the big city. Lots of opportunities means a lot more competition and a lot more traffic. Higher salary means a higher cost of living -and so on and so on. I think it would be hard to sell LA to someone who isn't from LA. The things that Louisianians value are history, people and culture vs the other things listed above. However, if you grew up in LA, moved away, you are probably missing "home" because it can't be replicated in any of the other states.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:33 PM

22 posts, read 67,376 times
Mezzogirl your reply is the best yet. My wife and I have been looking into moving back to La. We want to move back because of the lifestyle we miss. Everything Louisiana's Legend mentions turns me off into wanting to move back. We still spend alot of time in La. and it's interesting to see how people from other nationalities adopt to the culture well. Just look at whats happened in Acadiana where they tried to make children stop learning french in school years ago and now they are trying to recapture that hx. Let La. be La. We don't care how they do it up north or in Europe.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:12 PM

258 posts, read 488,098 times
I've worked in L.A. I'd say the FOOD and weather, fishing, hunting etc. The community involvement in sports. However; many people probably don't care to put up with the back woods, funny talking, sometimes red neck LA people.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:41 AM

8 posts, read 9,586 times
I love how Louisiana is a mash of almost every culture that stepped foot in it. Multi-culturalism is a common characteristic of many places in the US, but it is rare to see the cultures intertwined into the identity of the place the way it is in there.

I guess that is one of the main reasons I am considering moving there. That and my love for the south in general.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:41 AM

2,049 posts, read 4,711,445 times
Other states just feel too generic to me.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 AM

430 posts, read 339,636 times
Hmmm........very interesting posts, but I must admit mezzogirl enlighten me the most.
Just as I mentioned in the intro post about the Monroe resident from New england area, he loves the landscape and peacefull atmosphere in comparison......prolly so we can here his incessant joe pesci yankee voice all the time because he's doesn't have to speak over the other yankees who never shuts up!
But that hits another point mezzogirl made.....the competitive atmosphere. Let's face it, we all move because we want to see new things, but so does everybody. I always said I love Louisiana and will never turn my back on it but, I feel like in order to live here you either have it or you don't......with that said if you don't, I feel if you need to go get it and come back or stay gone because due to a more secure lifestyle, because your afraid of our meaning of living easy. Its almost like there's no middle ground here. You love it as a child til you know better then you venture off. But then you venture off and you say...."you know what Louisiana was not so bad, I wanna go back."
Most natives here has had that dilemma. But I can't help but to believe most Californians or New Yorkers feeel like they can stay in there respected states forever with little thought. Can we say the same?

Don't know but what I have gathered from all your post is that you all lov Louisiana as is. No changes needed. Maybe the missing element here is the prideful and strong display of love for the state. That sells way quicker than the actual tangibles you can see. Think about it, you saw on tv or heard from word of mouth about how great these other states are before you wanted to go to it................

I gotta go.....but I shall return. No time to edit apologies, it hard typing from a phone!!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:31 PM

59 posts, read 43,956 times
Enjoy our past, forget about our present, run from our future.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:01 AM

167 posts, read 780,735 times
Just something I wanted to add...
There seem to be several threads on the Louisiana boards where people are complaining about LA not being progressive enough or not being modern. Most of the threads then compare one of LA's cities to some city in another part of the US that has undergone major renovation and restructuring in their urban planning. Then you know what comes next...if only LA would do this or do that and why aren't they creating this, etc etc.
I can tell you first hand that those towns modernize their cities with little thought of historic preservation. It costs the city too much to save old structures, so they tear them down and rebuild something of the "essence," thus eliminating the original identity of that place. Why do you think there are so many threads on city data that start with "remember back when..."? Imagine if someone wanted to tear down the old historic courthouse in the middle of your town because it costed to much to maintain and it wasn't "green" enough? This kind of stuff if happening all over the US in efforts to reurbanize towns. I am fine with the reurbanization/walkability concept in general, but not at the detriment of historic structures that define a town. If Louisiana wants to modernize, it is going to have to take a completely different path than other states. Louisianians certainly have something special and unique and it would be a shame to throw out those things in order to "sell" it to outsiders.
Just sayin, that's all.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:27 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,933,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzogirl View Post
Just something I wanted to add...
There seem to be several threads on the Louisiana boards where people are complaining about LA not being progressive enough or not being modern. Most of the threads then compare one of LA's cities to some city in another part of the US that has undergone major renovation and restructuring in their urban planning. Then you know what comes next...if only LA would do this or do that and why aren't they creating this, etc etc.
I can tell you first hand that those towns modernize their cities with little thought of historic preservation. It costs the city too much to save old structures, so they tear them down and rebuild something of the "essence," thus eliminating the original identity of that place. Why do you think there are so many threads on city data that start with "remember back when..."? Imagine if someone wanted to tear down the old historic courthouse in the middle of your town because it costed to much to maintain and it wasn't "green" enough? This kind of stuff if happening all over the US in efforts to reurbanize towns. I am fine with the reurbanization/walkability concept in general, but not at the detriment of historic structures that define a town. If Louisiana wants to modernize, it is going to have to take a completely different path than other states. Louisianians certainly have something special and unique and it would be a shame to throw out those things in order to "sell" it to outsiders.
Just sayin, that's all.
Unfortunately, Mezzogirl, we are seeing a great deal of lost preservation ops up here in SBCity because the preservationist movement is not cohesive and not strong as it should be. Too much needs to be done, but until the populace will take it seriously, not much can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or