U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2010, 04:45 AM
 
1,113 posts, read 2,004,015 times
Reputation: 831

Advertisements

I don't believe that this data has anything to do with business. Horse hockey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2010, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Monroe!
430 posts, read 339,636 times
Reputation: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
I don't believe that this data has anything to do with business. Horse hockey.
Why would you say that,because im Louisiana Legend?

Heres the deal, I have some projects in the works that cater to Louisiana.

I understand that the major market is in Southern Louisiana when your talking about all things Louisiana, but because of the perception that all of Louisiana is like Southern Louisiana along wit the fact that tourism is a billion dollar business in Louisiana, the rest of the state has to respect that indentity and embrace it, even if maybe the culture is weaker some corners of the state.

What im studying and researching is how much of it is the actual culture and history vs other things Louisiana may have to offer. Things like whats the relation between the north and south Louisiana and "is it Louisiana that we love, or is it our own individual cities". That was a possible thread, but only one person flat out said no so far to this thread, so maybe thread its unnecessary.(yet) Based on my research thus far, Same Louisiana, except a lil more at the bottom and and a lil less at the top,

Im trying to find a creative ways to brand Louisiana as a whole......
Cant take the vibrant southern Louisiana, then heres laid back northern Louisiana. Whatever you choose, you should still get great outdoors, good food, friendly people, and cultural and historic display. Things of that nature. Once I do so, I can hope to strategically attract people to come here, start business, live here, or just love it, like I do.

this forum give me the insight I need to do so as it has in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2010, 10:44 AM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,849 posts, read 31,416,791 times
Reputation: 22457
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
Hahahahah.......loving how some of you are saying the southern part! But what will you be missing, those same people come up here all the time, go to school and stay up here all the time. That's so funny. Its all good, but once Johnny's pizza spreads throughout the "southern part" minds might change. Louisiana is Louisiana slow pace north and fast pact south.........we yearn for the same spices. North Louisiana is sexy too!
I love the Southern part because of the Cajun culture there. As for the food - lol if you think Pizza is going to change anything, I doubt it. Nobody can beat an awesome shrimp etouffee, or authentic gumbo or jambalaya.

And it's not just about the food either. Cajuns are fun-loving, good-time people. I will admit that I have not spent a great deal of time in Northern Louisiana, but there really isn't any need to, because Southern Louisiana has everything I could possibly ever want. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Lafayette, La
2,049 posts, read 4,711,445 times
Reputation: 1442
The ironic thing about this thread is that it assumes most people would want to live outside of big cities in OTHER states. Most people want to live near or in large city areas because it makes life easier and more comfortable. You dont want to have to drive 30 miles to do decent shopping or over an hour for adequate medical services. Most people dont want that, and it doesnt matter what state it is. Its especially prevalent in most other states where there isnt really much to do that isnt city oriented. In most states, the cities MAKE the state what it is. in Louisiana, the state pretty much sells itself, outside of New Orleans. Its not about Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Alexandria, Shreveport, its about the culture, the outdoors, and the fishing/hunting. The cities could be much smaller or not exist and people would still come here for the unique atmosphere and outdoor activites. If anything, this is one state where people actually DO want to live outside the big cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 09:16 AM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,849 posts, read 31,416,791 times
Reputation: 22457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
The ironic thing about this thread is that it assumes most people would want to live outside of big cities in OTHER states. Most people want to live near or in large city areas because it makes life easier and more comfortable. You dont want to have to drive 30 miles to do decent shopping or over an hour for adequate medical services. Most people dont want that, and it doesnt matter what state it is. Its especially prevalent in most other states where there isnt really much to do that isnt city oriented. In most states, the cities MAKE the state what it is. in Louisiana, the state pretty much sells itself, outside of New Orleans. Its not about Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Alexandria, Shreveport, its about the culture, the outdoors, and the fishing/hunting. The cities could be much smaller or not exist and people would still come here for the unique atmosphere and outdoor activites. If anything, this is one state where people actually DO want to live outside the big cities.
Culture - yes. Hunting and fishing? Last I checked you can do that in every state in the union. Except for maybe alligator, Louisiana does not offer much in the way of unique hunting experiences.

But then, I am no outdoor person, so maybe I don't get it.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Lafayette, La
2,049 posts, read 4,711,445 times
Reputation: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Culture - yes. Hunting and fishing? Last I checked you can do that in every state in the union. Except for maybe alligator, Louisiana does not offer much in the way of unique hunting experiences.

But then, I am no outdoor person, so maybe I don't get it.

20yrsinBranson
fishing moreso. The largest fishing reservoir in the South and probably most of the US in the Atchafalaya Basin, as well as great fishing in the Gulf and inlet bays. Louisiana isnt called "sportsmens' paradise" for nothing. But really, its about the music, the food, and the festivals, most of which are absolutely not found elsewhere unless its outsourced from Louisiana itself or created by transplants from this region. You can get a great Coney, pulled pork sandwiches, Pizza, or fantastic BBQ in many places of the US, but only one specific place in the US can offer you real boudin, etouffee, jambalaya, and gumbo. Only one state can really claim Mardi Gras, and only one state can lay claim to Zydeco and Cajun music. Thats what makes Louisiana special and it has very little to do with the quality of its cities. People dont come here to visit a Chicago or a New York or a Los angeles. They dont come here for city nightlife (although there certainly are great examples of that) or for ultramodern urban lifestyles. They come here because this is a really special state that offers a lot of things found almost nowhere else. Our state is unique and we are proud of that. The hunting/fishing are just a small part of it. Its really about the things that set Louisiana apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 12:58 AM
 
Location: Monroe!
430 posts, read 339,636 times
Reputation: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
The ironic thing about this thread is that it assumes most people would want to live outside of big cities in OTHER states. Most people want to live near or in large city areas because it makes life easier and more comfortable. You dont want to have to drive 30 miles to do decent shopping or over an hour for adequate medical services. Most people dont want that, and it doesnt matter what state it is. Its especially prevalent in most other states where there isnt really much to do that isnt city oriented. In most states, the cities MAKE the state what it is. in Louisiana, the state pretty much sells itself, outside of New Orleans. Its not about Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Alexandria, Shreveport, its about the culture, the outdoors, and the fishing/hunting. The cities could be much smaller or not exist and people would still come here for the unique atmosphere and outdoor activites. If anything, this is one state where people actually DO want to live outside the big cities.
Well for the most part I agree. My motive behind thread is to find if indeed people love their individual cities more than they love Louisiana. I and several others also agree Louisiana sells itself, but I really wanted to test that. Does the major cities do it or all of Louisiana collectively makes it worthwhile? If its the whole state, then natives could live anywhere in the state if they had to right?

No commited thoughts, only a hypothesis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2010, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Southwest Louisiana
2,983 posts, read 2,657,387 times
Reputation: 858
How about Jennings in the Jeff Davis Parish? I found that to be a nice area, I did some riding, some nice homes there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:13 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top