U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you prefer?
Alexandria 1 1.54%
Baton Rouge 11 16.92%
Houma-Thibodaux 3 4.62%
Lafayette 15 23.08%
Lake Charles 3 4.62%
Monroe 1 1.54%
Morgan City 0 0%
Nachitoches 3 4.62%
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner 15 23.08%
Shreveport-Bossier City 11 16.92%
Other ____________________ 2 3.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:48 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,349,886 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that there's been a recent increase in threads asking how people feel about certain parts of the state, etc. and "Baton Rouge isn't New Orleans!!" <-> "Baton Rouge doesn't want to be New Orleans" has become a theme on the Baton Rouge forum.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss what city or part of the state do you favor or prefer to live in and why. This is not meant to bash cities or boost one over the other.

----------------------------------------------------

I'll start by saying I prefer the N.O. area simply because it's home and nothing really compares to it IMO. There are so many little things that occur inside these levees that don't anywhere else that it's hard for me to stay away for too long. Lafayette seems like it's an ok place and Lake Charles would be great if it had the right combination of things going for it. North of I-10 really doesn't catch my attention, but I would love to see Nachitoches one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 02:36 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,686,773 times
Lafayette because its home and because I honestly prefer Cajun music and culture to Creole. But the size, history, and infrastructure of New Orleans makes it a far more exciting place to visit.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:39 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,803,945 times
The City of Central

Old 11-16-2010, 02:25 AM

430 posts, read 334,324 times
I just like a front porch, some ol jack daniels, some sweet catfish and a guitar. I need a lots of small bodies of waters and one big one to get me to the Red River on down to the Mississippi. I like cotton fields, corn fields and cabbage as well as sugar cane. I need room for my 9 horses to run. Cypress tress still in abundance believe it or not way up here in North Louisiana, find me a college with a better bayou scenery than ULM. Don't tell the people at Riverside Coney Island that we ain't Louisiana rooted with all that accordion and harmonica music and all you can eat crawfish on Friday in that giant tent. Though I love all of Louisiana.....nothing beats my laid back Monroe Louisiana......buttery!!!(had to bring the word back for the senior members!!!)

A lot of similarites between Lafayette and Monroe, you residents down there might wanna check it out....just brang your boots and a dirty lsu hat.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:14 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,349,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
The City of Central
Why Central?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
A lot of similarites between Lafayette and Monroe, you residents down there might wanna check it out....just brang your boots and a dirty lsu hat.
Elaborate.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:48 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,803,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Why Central?

Strong sense of community . Top five school system in the state . Close enough to BR for the conveniences , but far enough away that we aren't influenced by it's politics very often . Slower , quieter way of life . And Kip Holden is NOT our Mayor . That's worth a lot right there .

Old 11-16-2010, 07:23 PM

431 posts, read 965,199 times
I voted Lafayette. I live and grew up here, so dismiss any notion of objectivity.

Here's my list of Lafayette virtues:
  • Music
  • Food
  • Progressiveness
  • Festivals
  • Culture
  • Trees and surrounding beauty
  • Friendliness
  • Community pride
  • Love for visitors
However, Lafayette is no emerald city. Seems that in my short time here on this forum, there seems to be some hype about how great Lafayette is. As a fan of my home town, that's way cool. Yet, while we're seeing lots of healthy growth, it's also seeing the usual growth issues. Traffic stinks, national chains are everywhere (not necessarily a "bad thing"), cookie-cutter subdivisions sprawling into areas (Youngsville/Broussard) that lack the infrastructure to accommodate commuter's reasonable commute times into the city. It shouldn't take anyone forty-five minutes to traverse this city. I could go on.

What has me seeing red the most are the LITTERERS! Put a @#$%^& trash can in your CAR / TRUCK / SUV! I have.

I've never been a big fan of the Durel administration, but I have to admit that there have been more road improvements and new streets during his term(s) since Kenny Bowen.

Last edited by JimLFT; 11-16-2010 at 07:40 PM..

Old 11-17-2010, 01:46 AM

14,221 posts, read 20,612,524 times
I prefer Baton Rouge because its my hometown and it has all I need in a city but it's not a huge metropolis.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:25 PM

8 posts, read 17,271 times
Lake Charles is beautiful like no other.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:13 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,686,773 times
Lafayette is definitely an ambitious city in need of some major infrastructure work and improvements. Traffic is getting absolutely awful at any time of the day except 2 to 6 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or