U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:19 PM

308 posts, read 538,888 times

Advertisements

I been hearing the name on the news here lately. Some seem to think Governor Jindel (hope I spelled that right) may be a Presidential candidate. How long has he been Governor? From what I have heard from him he seems to be Ok to me. Since you all know him a lot more than I do, what do you all think? If he is a good Governor you guys probably don't want to loose him.

I didn't ask to start a political war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 07:28 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,687,883 times
I honestly think hes better on the state/local level and being president would expose him to a lot of b.s. from the more radical republican party. Being a conservative I definitely wouldnt mind seeing him on office but I think he would get hammered pretty ruthlessly as president by ignorant people and the press so I would rather him just remain our state governor. If that makes any sense.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:36 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,158,276 times
Jindal is in his first term as governor here.

Here is my $0.02 on the guy:

I think he is incredibly intelligent. He was a Rhodes Scholar.

He is an awesome speaker when he is allowed to just say what is on his mind, but he is not very inspiring when he speaks from a script. I think this hurts him because he has a tendancy to speak very fast when he is just saying whatever comes to his mind. I believe alot of people have difficulty following his train of thought, because he can move through so much information so fast.

Alot of good has happened in our state since he has been governor. There has been lots of job growth, and more to come. I am also of the opinion that roads have improved greatly during his term. Schools have also improved across the state since he has been governor.

However, for all the good things you can say about the man, there are also some bad things you can say about him. For one, his image has been hurt in recent months due to the budget deficit. Higher education may have to absorb some pretty large cuts in the coming years. This hasn't gone over well with the people of the state. It is worth mentioning that by state law, the budget must be balanced, so our legislators are between a rock and a hard place. No decision they make is going to be popular with everyone.

I don't quite know what to think about the budget crisis, because I have a feeling neither side (the state and the universities) is telling the whole truth.

However, I believe Bobby Jindal is a good man, and a very smart man. One who can think ahead. I don't think a highly educated man like himself would support cuts to higher education if he didn't have some plan, some foresight...for how the damage would be fixable in the future. Perhaps he doesn't want to cut money from economic development because he believes that if the state economy improves, there will be more money to go towards higher education in the future.

He has also been criticized for spending so much time campaigning for other conservatives in different states. Some think he needs to spend more time in Louisiana.

He is a good guy, a nice guy, and a good father. I don't know if I want him to be president. I want him to stay in Louisiana for at least one more term.

I think Bobby Jindal is too genuine of a person to get elected president.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I honestly think hes better on the state/local level and being president would expose him to a lot of b.s. from the more radical republican party. Being a conservative I definitely wouldnt mind seeing him on office but I think he would get hammered pretty ruthlessly as president by ignorant people and the press so I would rather him just remain our state governor. If that makes any sense.
Yep...it makes sense to...you get the press against you along with all the crap on the internet, it sure can take a toll on a good candidate.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Jindal is in his first term as governor here.

Here is my $0.02 on the guy:

I think he is incredibly intelligent. He was a Rhodes Scholar.

He is an awesome speaker when he is allowed to just say what is on his mind, but he is not very inspiring when he speaks from a script. I think this hurts him because he has a tendancy to speak very fast when he is just saying whatever comes to his mind. I believe alot of people have difficulty following his train of thought, because he can move through so much information so fast.

Alot of good has happened in our state since he has been governor. There has been lots of job growth, and more to come. I am also of the opinion that roads have improved greatly during his term. Schools have also improved across the state since he has been governor.

However, for all the good things you can say about the man, there are also some bad things you can say about him. For one, his image has been hurt in recent months due to the budget deficit. Higher education may have to absorb some pretty large cuts in the coming years. This hasn't gone over well with the people of the state. It is worth mentioning that by state law, the budget must be balanced, so our legislators are between a rock and a hard place. No decision they make is going to be popular with everyone.

I don't quite know what to think about the budget crisis, because I have a feeling neither side (the state and the universities) is telling the whole truth.

However, I believe Bobby Jindal is a good man, and a very smart man. One who can think ahead. I don't think a highly educated man like himself would support cuts to higher education if he didn't have some plan, some foresight...for how the damage would be fixable in the future. Perhaps he doesn't want to cut money from economic development because he believes that if the state economy improves, there will be more money to go towards higher education in the future.

He has also been criticized for spending so much time campaigning for other conservatives in different states. Some think he needs to spend more time in Louisiana.

He is a good guy, a nice guy, and a good father. I don't know if I want him to be president. I want him to stay in Louisiana for at least one more term.

I think Bobby Jindal is too genuine of a person to get elected president.
If he surrounds himself with good people he can overcome the speaking problem (if that's a good word for what you are saying)

As for the deficit...I think most all states have a deficit problem to some extent. I guess we got to blame someone but, if he hasn't been in office long it would be hard for me to blame him. As it looks to me he probably has a plan to take care of that. If he is bringing jobs to the people that's something a lot of states can't say. The economy (in my opinion) is all about jobs. In a time of a budget crisis only two things will work to fix it and that's cut services or raise taxes both of which are not popular at all. All of our universities have undergone budget cuts.

As for campaigning well, that's what politicians do, I'm sure he is hoping to benefit the State of Louisiana by doing it.

What I have seen and heard about him he is a good man. I know Louisiana sure has taken a lick in recent years and months and for the sake of Louisiana I sure hope he can turn it around.

I wish him luck

Old 11-23-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
If he surrounds himself with good people he can overcome the speaking problem (if that's a good word for what you are saying)

As for the deficit...I think most all states have a deficit problem to some extent. I guess we got to blame someone but, if he hasn't been in office long it would be hard for me to blame him. As it looks to me he probably has a plan to take care of that. If he is bringing jobs to the people that's something a lot of states can't say. The economy (in my opinion) is all about jobs. In a time of a budget crisis only two things will work to fix it and that's cut services or raise taxes both of which are not popular at all. All of our universities have undergone budget cuts.

As for campaigning well, that's what politicians do, I'm sure he is hoping to benefit the State of Louisiana by doing it.

What I have seen and heard about him he is a good man. I know Louisiana sure has taken a lick in recent years and months and for the sake of Louisiana I sure hope he can turn it around.

I wish him luck
I agree with you on everything except I wouldn't call it a speaking problem. More like a "listening problem" on the part of the people.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,351,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
There has been lots of job growth, and more to come. I am also of the opinion that roads have improved greatly during his term. Schools have also improved across the state since he has been governor.
I don't agree or disagree with anything here but the road improvements that are taking place were planned before he stepped in. As far as job growth, I've only really been following it in my corner of the state so I would be interested to hear more about that. I'm definitely interested in hearing how he's improved education thogh.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:12 PM

2,799 posts, read 6,892,777 times
I would like to see him spend more time here at home tackling the state's budget crisis and whatever. He shouldn't be traveling so much for the GOP. It distracts him.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:52 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,151,861 times
Are we forgetting how agonizingly awkward he looked on the national stage Mardi Gras 2009 in his "counter-point" to Obama? Man, that was bad. He'd be a really sharp cabinet member for some president, but he'd never have enough poise or charisma to be president. I find he either flies through all his information and facts at a pace that the "average voter" (not very enlightened people) can't follow, or he slows it down and tries to get "folksy" which sounds totally corny and fake and his tone doesn't correspond to what is being said. Smart guy, but president?? Nah...

Old 11-26-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Are we forgetting how agonizingly awkward he looked on the national stage Mardi Gras 2009 in his "counter-point" to Obama? Man, that was bad. He'd be a really sharp cabinet member for some president, but he'd never have enough poise or charisma to be president. I find he either flies through all his information and facts at a pace that the "average voter" (not very enlightened people) can't follow, or he slows it down and tries to get "folksy" which sounds totally corny and fake and his tone doesn't correspond to what is being said. Smart guy, but president?? Nah...
You made my point. The Republican Response was pre-written. He speaks best when he wings it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana