U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 01:38 AM

3 posts, read 6,695 times

Advertisements

I am a high school senior and I just recently applied to various colleges. I have this "need" to attend college in someplace different where I will get to experience a different style of life and meet new people. I applied to UL Lafayette and I was wondering if I can get any feedback about the pros and cons of this school and the town of Lafayette. Does it provide a quality education? What are the students like? To give you some more background information, the other schools I applied to are Boise State, U. of Idaho, Montana State, and U. of Oregon. Would it be wise to choose Lafayette over those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 06:46 AM

2,049 posts, read 4,711,445 times
Lafayette has an inexpensive university, but it is a pretty good one. The computer science and technology curriculum is very good. The cost is starting to rise, but many of the buildings are new or completely revamped. You could do much worse than ULL considering its small college status.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:05 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,184,346 times
I think this depends on what you make of the situation. If you're even looking this far and thinking about out of state you are probably ambitious and open-minded. That being said, you can very easily love ULL! It's the second largest school in the state behind LSU but has a little more of a regional approach...most people are from the area, there is a large New Orleans-area community, contingents of people from Central/North Louisiana and then some Texas/other state people. But mostly, out of state people don't come, which would make you stand out in a good way. I've had people come from places like New York, California, Florida, etc. not knowing anyone and loving Lafayette and never wanting to leave afterwords. I have been very pleased with the quality of my education, despite whatever jokes some of the more arrogent LSU people want to throw around.. and by the way they leave Baton Rouge in droves during the week to come party in Lafayette. Some majors are better than others, certain majors (education, nursing, computer science, most engineering, architecture) are the best in the state.

People are incredibly friendly there, but there is an initial problem when you realize that many of the locals are going to stick together, so you have to find ways to meet them.. once you do though, they'll be totally open. If you ever considered a fraternity/sorority (don't know if you're a guy or girl), dismiss your doubts and do it at ULL!! I loved the Greek system because it was large (I think maybe 1,000 people) but not too big like LSU and we were still friends with people who weren't Greek, it wasn't like one of these super snobbish things to do and anyone not in it was outside of us. I made more friends the first semester doing that than I would've not being in a fraternity for 4 years. If that's not your thing, I would strongly encourage you to do student activities as a means of meeting people. I don't know if its the Cajun genes or what but most people from elsewhere think Lafayette people on average are incredibly good-looking, just a little bonus thought for you! Even my LSU/New Orleans friends concede that those Lafayette girls are the finest.

You will need a car..Lafayette has a downtown/campus core that is walkable but even then you can't do much on foot. You couldn't find a good selection of affordable groceries without walking a mile+ from campus. If you're thinking of living on campus you better make it the on-campus apartments (Legacy Park), the regular dorms suck and I can say that because I lived in them. The girls dorms seemed better than the boys but they weren't paradise. Things there can get slow in the summertime (good time to visit home and escape Louisiana heat/humidity) but other than that, Lafayette is always jumping! Wednesday-Saturday nights in Lafayette the bars will have a lot going on. Things have gotten stricter since I graduated, but I can guarentee drinking-wise it will be so much more relaxed than where you are coming from. Campus cops can be hit or miss, but city cops in general want to keep people safe but let them have a good time and are always there to help..the cops aren't super bored or uptight.

You can message me anytime for detailed questions I don't cover here, no problem. I push my alma mater hard.. if this means anything I'm from one of the most interesting and exciting cities in the world (New Orleans) and whenever I go to ULL's campus I get really emotional and wish I was 18 all over again!

Old 12-16-2010, 03:06 PM

Thanks aab7855, that was actually really helpful. Yes, I just really want to go someplace new and exciting for college so I can experience different types of people than the ones I've lived near for most my life. I found ULL through a college finder and then watched a campus tour video. I'd have to say that watching the video really encouraged me to apply there and give it some serious thought on attending college there.

The price was one of the main aspects that influenced my decision. I have also went to student review websites and there was a lot of students on there that have nothing but nice things to say about the school. I'll make sure to message you if any new questions come to mind. Right now though, I'm just waiting on ULL to make their decision on my application.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:08 AM

One more question. Why is the graduation rate so low for the school? This isn't going to make me change my decision about going there because I know there are a number of schools with low graduation rates. However, I looked at the numbers and ULL has a %40 graduation rate in 6 years; %12 percent in 4 years. Does the school make it difficult to get done in 4, or is it mainly because of the student's choices(EX: Too much partying and not enough studying)?

Old 12-17-2010, 01:14 AM

431 posts, read 970,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmalls View Post
I just really want to go someplace new and exciting for college so I can experience different types of people than the ones I've lived near for most my life.
That, you'll get here. But, you'll love them, And they will "get you up to speed" rather quickly in the ways we relax and have fun down here. Expect large and lively social gatherings. You'll meet some good people and make lifelong friends. You'll eat very well and gain some weight, but hey....

What field of study are you considering? This university excels in some areas, but are weak in others. Engineering, accounting, nursing, biomedical and information technology are its strong suits. Probably not fair to other programs who are equally good, but since I'm so far removed after all these years, things may have changed.

Are you in to college athletics? Major improvements are happening that I believe will take this school to the next level in football and basketball. Maybe not to the Boise or Oregon level in football, but hopefully to the Southern Mississippi level and up. Mark Hudspeth (Coach Hud) has recently been hired and is putting in some outstanding assistants. Basketball will ROCK again with the hiring of Bob Marlin. It may take a couple of years, but it will get fun again in the Dome. Trust me...

Softball and Baseball are regular contenders on the national scene. Both have made it to their respective World Series. Softball has done it six times!

Softball stadium is undergoing a complete reconstruction which will properly rank as one of the top twenty-five venues in the country. Same plan next year for the baseball complex. The five-year plan addresses Cajun Field expansion and revamp. I have mixed feelings regarding this as my dad was the project engineer of Cajun Field's construction back when I was in the second grade. Very fond memories, but that was way back when in the sixties.

Time for a major upgrade. Sorry dad.

Last edited by JimLFT; 12-17-2010 at 01:23 AM..

Old 12-17-2010, 08:59 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,184,346 times
Statistics can say a lot of different things.. that seems odd though that it's so low. Whats interesting, hope I don't offend anyone here, is that Lafayette proper is an incredibly progressive city, really the best economically in the state of Louisiana [but that isn't saying much haha]. On the other hand many of the towns around it have a good share of poverty and not much economically going on, so.. just a guess but perhaps when some of these students have a "bad semester" or whatever and lose their financial aid mommy and daddy can't come to the rescue like a private school or large state school.. once again just a guess and perhaps a bad one at that. But I didn't feel like they were pushing to weed me out when I was there. A lot of classes, minus science courses, are often small enough for professors to get to know the students if they choose, not to mention offer help when needed. I struggled with science and math in high school and ULL makes those courses, even the freshman ones, challenging as a standard to keep its engineering/sciences/nursing programs strong. But I passed them all, I just had to put in more effort than the subjects that came easier to me. Other than that I don't think the school is going to be too challenging for you.. good luck, I'd love to be 18 and applying for colleges right about now! You have some good times ahead of you

Jim you nailed it on all those majors, but also education consistantly is marked as the best in the state, evidenced by UL student's passage rate on the PRAXIS (test that allows you to teach in Louisiana) compared to everywhere else. And if you were ever interested in Francophone studies, not that there is much competition out there but ULL has that one wrapped up too!

Old 12-17-2010, 02:33 PM

2,049 posts, read 4,711,445 times
Ill put forth my experience as an example. I didn graduate, and put a total of about 3 years into the University in terms of credit hours, but I do plan to return at some point nd finish. For me it was a combination of having to pay my own way (and refusing loans), indicisiveness in majors, and a study habit problem I have always had where I cannot fully concentrate on anything for very long. Perhaps medication could do wonders for me but I never tried it. I work a full time job locally now, so for the time being Im content to just save up money for the future. Ill be honest that several classes I took had high failure rates, but I think part of it is because Lafayette does have a lot of distractions. Its very easy to get caught up in the partying and extracurricular stuff and not being able to concentrate on your studies.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,156 times
I moved from California to Louisiana. I was born in Louisiana and raised there. My whole family is here in Lafayette. I moved to cali when I was 21 and I lived there for six years then I moved back here two months to finish school. I transfered to ULL.

I regret it! I thought being near my family would be awesome because I missed them so much when I was in Cali. But when I moved back to Lafayette I soon realized that I had completely adapted to San Diego. I realized that I had left behind my friends, my old school, all the fun things I use to do. In Lafayette, there is nothing here. There is nothing ever going on the culture is different as well. People just drink a lot here. In the whole state there is nothing to do. I miss the beach and the ocean so much and really everything about San Diego.

While being near my family is great. I am already making plans to move back at the end of the semester. It is just so different than I remember it and I am so different now too. I love my family a lot but I was much happier in San Diego.

I do agree with the other posts that you should do your research before moving. Don't move on impluse or because you have family. Go visit for a extended period that allows you time to get bored because then you will know if you like it or not.

Its way easier to move just once then back and forth...

Old 12-22-2010, 09:52 PM

431 posts, read 970,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksei50551 View Post
I moved from California to Louisiana. I was born in Louisiana and raised there. My whole family is here in Lafayette. I moved to cali when I was 21 and I lived there for six years then I moved back here two months to finish school. I transfered to ULL.

I regret it! I thought being near my family would be awesome because I missed them so much when I was in Cali. But when I moved back to Lafayette I soon realized that I had completely adapted to San Diego. I realized that I had left behind my friends, my old school, all the fun things I use to do. In Lafayette, there is nothing here. There is nothing ever going on the culture is different as well. People just drink a lot here. In the whole state there is nothing to do. I miss the beach and the ocean so much and really everything about San Diego.

While being near my family is great. I am already making plans to move back at the end of the semester. It is just so different than I remember it and I am so different now too. I love my family a lot but I was much happier in San Diego.

I do agree with the other posts that you should do your research before moving. Don't move on impluse or because you have family. Go visit for a extended period that allows you time to get bored because then you will know if you like it or not.

Its way easier to move just once then back and forth...
A buddy of mine from Carencro was stationed in San Diego while in the Navy. And with the exception of holiday visits, hasn't been back here since. Then his younger brother took a trip out there. Same result. I paid a couple of visits, and I DO see what all the fuss is about. San Diego is a very special place, and I can't blame anyone for wanting to settle there. Absolutely gorgeous with probably the best weather in the USA. Lots to love about that area.

But, unlike my buddies who settled there, San Diego, for me, will always make for a great place to visit. Balboa Park, Gas Light District, La Jolla, etc. are great places to see and experience. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I recommend to anyone reading this to pay a visit at least once.

But, for me, I simply love the south Louisiana culture, a culture impossible to duplicate anywhere else. I love the bayous and the basin. Leisurely drives to Lake Martin, Cypremort Point and Avery Island. The incredible plate lunches at the least assuming places and great restaurants named after local families. I love Festival International de Louisiane and Festivals Acadien. Downtown Alive and the 365 music scene.

Quote:
In Lafayette, there is nothing here.
Allow me to edit this statement just a tad:

"In Lafayette, there is nothing here for me."

Nothing wrong with that at all. Like my buddies, you were bitten by the San Diego bug, a bug for which there is no cure. Nor, should there be. Far better than getting bitten by some Detroit bug!

Best of luck in San Diego, as well as with your studies. You could do far worse!

Last edited by JimLFT; 12-22-2010 at 10:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana