Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:59 AM

420 posts, read 479,185 times

Advertisements

Hello its the infamous Louisiana Legend again, Im working on a few business studies and I wanted some input from all the honest and passionate fellow Louisiana natives.

Many people view us only as a places to party and eat good, but is that enough to sway folks to come and live here? Remember many states consider us as old world in comparision so how can we change that? I talked to an old yankee the other day from New England, and he loves the landscape of Louisiana as well as the people in comparision.

So just wonder what would you tell someone to get them to stay here in Louisiana, to work, live, and of course play(but thats easy)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 02:51 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
"you wont find a greater group of people who just enjoy being alive"''

All the festivals and parties and parades and atmosphere lead back to that. People in Louisiana tend to enjoy life and celebrate it in every way they can think of. Its that undying spirit that attracts me to this state. We arent trying to compare themselves to anyone else because we ARENT anyone else. We are Louisiana and there is absolutely no mistaking us for another state.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:36 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
couldn't have said it better myself, Innotech. It's the truth.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:23 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
How would you sell Louisiana to new residents?

Uhhhhhh, by the acre?? ( you don't have to sell the crayfish, they sell themselves )

Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
"you wont find a greater group of people who just enjoy being alive.

We arent trying to compare themselves to anyone else because we ARENT anyone else. We are Louisiana and there is absolutely no mistaking us for another state.
Ok I feel you on that, but that can be seen as the obvious, as well as fest and food. But to put emphasis on the fact that we are ourselves and that we are not like any other state.....could that be hurting us in attracting new residents?

Its understood that tourism here is big business because of the food and culture, but what happens when you go out of state and see "Louisiana style this or New Orleans style that"? They already celebrate Mardi Gras in major US markets so why make a big effort to travel way down to Louisiana when the guy who claims he's from Louisiana with flavor reminisent to Louisiana?

Im trying to point out that maybe it would help persuade outsiders that we don't have to be a spot to just visit and leave because we don't have the modern day amenties like trains and and any other average American modern marvel. It would help if we had options besides our own cultures to make new residents feel a lil less out of place.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:55 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
Its understood that tourism here is big business because of the food and culture, but what happens when you go out of state and see "Louisiana style this or New Orleans style that"? They already celebrate Mardi Gras in major US markets so why make a big effort to travel way down to Louisiana when the guy who claims he's from Louisiana with flavor reminisent to Louisiana?
The only other big market celebrating Mardi Gras in the U.S. is St. Louis. I've never had anything out of south Louisiana labeled "Louisiana style" or "New Orleans style" that even somewhat resembeled anything I'd find in Louisiana. Actually it annoys me when I see people in other states claiming they've eaten "Louisiana" this and "Creole" that, but have never even been to New Orleans.

I honestly don't know how to sell Louisiana outside of N.O. and N.O. sells itself although not necessarily in the best way.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:45 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
Quote:
Ok I feel you on that, but that can be seen as the obvious, as well as fest and food. But to put emphasis on the fact that we are ourselves and that we are not like any other state.....could that be hurting us in attracting new residents?

Im trying to point out that maybe it would help persuade outsiders that we don't have to be a spot to just visit and leave because we don't have the modern day amenties like trains and and any other average American modern marvel. It would help if we had options besides our own cultures to make new residents feel a lil less out of place.
the problem with that is, what your basically describing are the supercities, which are the only areas with mass transit and train tunnels and subways. Due to the topography of Louisiana, it is impossible to build such structures anywhere south of Alexandria. Also, the other "amenities" are pretty much consisting of a million suburbs. Thats what most "big" cities are these days. Just miles and miles of big box stores and suburbs. If thats what you want Louisiana to become then Im afraid I disagree with you.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
the problem with that is, what your basically describing are the supercities, which are the only areas with mass transit and train tunnels and subways. Due to the topography of Louisiana, it is impossible to build such structures anywhere south of Alexandria. Also, the other "amenities" are pretty much consisting of a million suburbs. Thats what most "big" cities are these days. Just miles and miles of big box stores and suburbs. If thats what you want Louisiana to become then Im afraid I disagree with you.
Not necessarily committing to that thought just brainstorming but.....

I can agree maybe not the coastal cities due to the geography, but what about Lafayette, I mean they somwhat have a suburban growth. Can that promote growth within its metro in the smaller cities? The problem there is that area is rich in their own indivdual culture so would that kinda limit the persuasion of growth from new residents who don't fancy that culture?

I think northern Louisiana can benefit from that strong suburb lifestyle, I think Shreveport has benefited from that, Bossier City is nothing but that if you ask me.

The struggle up north is we have to respect the majority identity of Louisiana which comes from southern Louisiana. Though that identity is dominantly in southern Louisiana, it is somewhat demanded upon us by tourists to have any kind of traditional a Louisiana presence. But still, other things can be done to sell Louisiana to the rest of the nation. Can we show other cultures some love? Are there any suburbs that cater to foreigners like mexicans and asias? How many business are built around them? What about that New Yorker who wants a new york style pizza every now and then? He can get gumbo in New York, can he get those long hotdogs down here?

My main question might be can Louisiana involve other cultures as the rest of the nation did to promote growth? And can they do so without losing missing a beat on what there doing currently?

Old 11-07-2010, 12:31 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
I think northern Louisiana can benefit from that strong suburb lifestyle, I think Shreveport has benefited from that, Bossier City is nothing but that if you ask me.
I agree. If I'm not mistaken that is the same thing that is occuring in Lafayette, Baton Rouge, and St. Tammany Parish.

Quote:
The struggle up north is we have to respect the majority identity of Louisiana which comes from southern Louisiana. Though that identity is dominantly in southern Louisiana, it is somewhat demanded upon us by tourists to have any kind of traditional a Louisiana presence. But still, other things can be done to sell Louisiana to the rest of the nation. Can we show other cultures some love? Are there any suburbs that cater to foreigners like mexicans and asias? How many business are built around them? What about that New Yorker who wants a new york style pizza every now and then? He can get gumbo in New York, can he get those long hotdogs down here?
I feel where you're coming from, but it's not like it isn't demanded upon South Louisiana to sell this stereotypical "Bayou" culture that is more Hollywood than it will ever be the real thing. The real Acadiana and New Orleans are not what most tourists come expecting to see. They just want to get drunk, catch beads, and spot a Cajun with an accordion.

Also you act as if they're aren't ethnic enclaves in Louisiana. South Louisiana has one of the highest Vietnamese and Central American populations around. There are several Asian supermarkets. Just like there are enclaves of Jamaicans, Haitians, Hondurans, Brazilians, West Africans, etc. that demand services to provide goods for them. Mexicans are the smallest subgroup of hispanics here, but business (including the notorious Taco Trucks) are sprouting up to cater to them.

There are several places and hot dog stands where I can get a hot dog. I picked up two wide foldable slices of cheese pizza last night at 1 am from a street corner.

Quote:
My main question might be can Louisiana involve other cultures as the rest of the nation did to promote growth? And can they do so without losing missing a beat on what there doing currently?
I think we're doing a good job of that as it is. Atleast the southeast corner of the state. Out of what you've mentioned, what is Louisiana really lacking?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:20 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,797 times
I wouldn't.

Be careful what you ask for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana