Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 04:45 PM

15 posts, read 33,151 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Louisiana. My goal is to go to UL Lafayette. Where should I live: Breaux Bridge, Broussard, Crowley or Lafayette?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 05:16 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times
Depends on what you are after. Right off the bat I would say no to Crowley. It's okay, but first off it is the farthest from campus, a good 35 minutes. There is also sort of a bad element that seems to be growing in Crowley, I'm only taking this from natives. Rayne is closer to Lafayette and has more small town charm and less problems than its sister town. Breaux Bridge has a lot of charm but it's a very small town, definitely none of the college scene there. Broussard is turning into an all-out suburb of Lafayette, and while it's as close as Breaux Bridge, the traffic can get pretty thick on that entire side of town. Broussard itself may be lacking in charm.. there is the old side of town which is cool (what existed before Lafayette was considered close by) but most of it is a new, kind of typical suburb. Lafayette is going to have the most expensive rent but you'll be in the center of everything. I love downtown Lafayette, when I lived there was I was steps from campus and all of the nightlife as well. It felt as bohemian as New Orleans. So it really depends on what you want.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:08 AM

245 posts, read 455,310 times
I agree, it really depends on what you're after. Maybeyou could give us just a little more info. Are you 'typical' college age range? Will you have transportation? Rent range? Have you already considered each of the campus living options?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:48 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,723 times
Speaking of campus living options, interesting news today on the campus housing front.

Quote:
Denbo and Bancroft residence halls and the UL Lafayette Federal Credit Union will be torn down. New housing and a 1,000 vehicle parking garage, which will include a new credit union on the first floor, will be constructed on these sites. The band practice field will be maintained for its current use and will provide green space for various student and campus activities.

Bonin, Baker-Huger and Evangeline residence halls will be torn down and replaced with new residence halls. Harris, Randolph and Buchanan residence halls and Alumni Hall, which houses The Vermilion, UL Lafayette’s student newspaper, will be renovated.

New residence halls will have suite-style rooms with a bathroom in each suite. Certain residence halls may serve particular groups, such as Honors Program students or students who participate in Greek life. Others will introduce living-learning communities, or clustered residential groups. Members of these communities will have something in common. For example, they could be enrolled in the First Year Seminar or be members of the band. Research shows that living-learning communities improve student retention rates and academic achievement.

Residence halls will also house classrooms equipped with high-tech instructional equipment. These classrooms will enable the university to provide academic support services, such as tutoring, where students live and study.

Convenience for students and an enriched social environment are at the heart of the Student Union expansion and renovation. Many student support services that are now scattered across campus will be consolidated there to provide a “one-stop” facility.

A new food service area, with a food court atmosphere, will be constructed in the new student union. The University Bookstore will remain in the Student Union, but it will be redesigned. Spaces where student organizations can meet and where students can gather informally will be included in the renovated facility. Four buildings will be torn down to accommodate the expanded Student Union. Those are Coronna, Olivier, Guillory, and Saucier. As part of this project, O.K. Allen Hall will be renovated to accommodate Student Health Services and the Counseling and Testing Center.
November 1, 2010 — Progress « Office of the President

Cool video.
(http://www.louisiana.edu/Administration/President/HousingFlyThruFinal/ - broken link)

Not that any of this will be of any use to the OP for a couple of years, but I do recommend looking into living on campus anyway if coming in as student away from home for the first time. You cannot experience college life any better than that.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:17 PM

I'm 35. No car. I have never paid more than $440 a month for rent. I will not be living on campus at all. I cannot afford out-of-state tuition so I would like to live in Louisiana for a while before I become a Rajin' cajun. I'm also considering living in Jennings, New Iberia and Scott as well as what you already mentioned. For a wider set of options I am also okay with DeRidder-spelling?, Leesville, Moss Bluff and Sulphur.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:44 AM

245 posts, read 455,310 times
Hmmm, based on those details, I'd say the locale you choose would probably be dependent on your employment. With no car around here, you'd have to rely on little or no public transport (depneding on where you choose).

I totally get where you're coming from by saying you wouldn't want to live on campus at all. However, for the price (considering that you've not paid more than 440) I strongly suggest you consider it for once you start classes. That would probably be your cheapest option, and could be the only way for you to stay that cheap. (Cajun Village would put you with a little more mature crowd, but it would require you to be married or a single parent).

Otherwise, since you don't seem at all tied down. Maybe have a look at the shuttle bus routes for ULL. I know they run back and forth from the Cajun Dome lot all day. That would give you an idea what all of your walking distance options are. For instance, I wouldn't want to walk to class from Bayou Shadows Apts. But it wouldn't be a big deal to catch the Cajun Field Lot shuttle from there. I can't speak for living there, and a quick search showed their one beds range from 550-700. The main thing is being able to look at your options to know how far you'd have to walk or bike.

As for your year before starting. Personally, I'd get close to campus and start learning the area. That's gonna be strictly a personal preference thing. Your price range may make a smaller outlying town a better option until classes start. Good luck, chime in with any more questions you come up with.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:45 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,344 times
Without a car your only choice is Lafayette... if you intend to attend the University.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:50 AM

I would like to go to a junior college for a while before I go to UL Lafayette. Please tell me what my options are. I'm looking for a JC in Breaux Bridge, Broussard, Lafayette or Rayne. I think I would enjoy living in any of those & thank you all for your help. Also if you know of a JC in Jennings I would try to make that work as well. I'm considering Leesville, Moss Bluff and Sulphur too. I like asking you for advice because you've been really helpful. I really want to live in Louisiana. Thanks again.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:57 AM

I forgot one more: Scott

Old 11-12-2010, 12:58 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,344 times
Get a place near campus. Public transportation in Lafayette is lame.

Do yourself a huge favor. Move near campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana